The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Jul 4, 2019 at 3:14 AM Post #6,856 of 23,556
C9C6250A-8066-4F55-8745-4604E14DFC0F.jpeg

I received my A12t just over a week ago. I picked up the U12t over the Christmas holidays after demoing it along side some other TOTL offerings from Campfire Audio and Noble and some extensive research. In the store the U12t stood out above the rest for its coherency across the frequency range and incredible bass texture. When Mountains from the Interstellar soundtrack crescendoed I literally opened my mouth in awe.

My main home listening headphone at the time was an LCD-3F and I was left with the feeling that these did everything down low, and a whole lot more across the rest of the audio spectrum.

First impressions can be misleading, it’s quite often the headphone that wows during a demo that quickly becomes tiresome upon longer listens but not so with the U12t. I found it replacing my office headphone (MrSpeakers AFC) and travel cans (Song MRD-1000X). Over-ears remaining a home favourite largely for comfort - I like to give my ear canals a rest.

The A12t does everything the U12t did but bit better. Fit is always consistent meaning the sound sig is too. Isolation is improved meaning micro-detail is easier to pick out. The sound signature is perfect for me, I like a little extra bass but it’s not overwhelming. Others have summed it up well by saying it doesn’t add frequencies when not present in the recording, but when called for the lower register is textured and impactful in a way BAs aren’t supposed to be.

I’ve mentioned bass a lot as this was an area that I didn’t realise IEMs were capable of equalling or besting full sized headphones in but yup, these do just just. As for the rest of the frequency range, I could flippantly sum it up by saying every frequency sounds forward - and I mean that in the best of ways - a huge amount of sonic information is presented and you’re left to pick and choose what to focus on or just sit back and let it wash over you. It’s not a fatiguing experience and it continue to impress me every time I listen.

I’m by no means a professional reviewer so please take this comments with a healthy grain of salt, i’m very much an audio enthusiast who only owns gear he loves.

Big thanks to @Scorpio1957 for persuading me to go custom, Giselle for the perfect ear impressions and last but not least Dan Feel from Offslip (UK Audio 64 dealer) for making everything happen with legendary customer service and a huge smile.

Photographed with AK SP1000M and Effect Audio Eros II (I’m now using the stock cable as the connectors pinch my ear which really hurts. I’ll be demoing other cables at CanJam London and get a custom made up with low profile connectors).

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2019 at 3:14 AM Post #6,857 of 23,556
The suspense is killing me. The new IEM still isn’t revealed yet and I have an itch to get something new.

Is it worth getting a U18t for something different if I already have a Trio?

I will be pairing it with Leo 2 Octa.

Jul 4, 2019 at 3:46 AM Post #6,858 of 23,556
raymogi i feel the same way.

i have the trio and then i bought the u18t.

i was just listening to both today (same song, same cable).

i'm no reviewer but the u18t is much better. i had the m20's in which are pretty awesome/brutal i think (m15 more delicate). tremendous amounts of micro-detail in u18t which i don't have in trio.

that said, trio is of course great.

but u18t better and worth it, IMHO.

Jul 4, 2019 at 3:49 AM Post #6,859 of 23,556

i'm no reviewer but the u18t is much better. i had the m20's in which are pretty awesome/brutal i think (m15 more delicate). tremendous amounts of micro-detail in u18t which i don't have in trio.

Now that got me thinking :D

I’m planning to get those Fir Atom XL modules as well. The Gold one seems interesting according to reviews. Plus it’s going to look great with the U18t!

Jul 4, 2019 at 3:50 AM Post #6,860 of 23,556

The A/U18t's micro detail is honestly 90% of the reason why I haven't sold mine yet - made the mistake of going custom, and now I have to be ridiculously careful not to crack their shell or something, to the point where I'm looking for a replacement daily monitor - mine are currently in repair

Jul 4, 2019 at 4:03 AM Post #6,861 of 23,556
very interested in what is coming out but actually probably more interested to finally dive in and get the fourte. at this point i'm just curious and want to try them. with my r4 cable comparing the trio and u18t was possible i thought. i am sure on the 1950s it would not be so easy (sound sameish i think).

but anyway i'd really like to hear what the fourte sounds like on the r4, picking out all that detail etc. i have only listened to them for like 10 seconds in mini-disc (sydney) when i was getting started in this hobby. i refused to get entranced because i think they were 4800 aud retail at the time (worse now). i just couldn't come at it.

Jul 4, 2019 at 4:07 AM Post #6,862 of 23,556
very interested in what is coming out but actually probably more interested to finally dive in and get the fourte. at this point i'm just curious and want to try them. with my r4 cable comparing the trio and u18t was possible i thought. i am sure on the 1950s it would not be so easy (sound sameish i think).

but anyway i'd really like to hear what the fourte sounds like on the r4, picking out all that detail etc. i have only listened to them for like 10 seconds in mini-disc (sydney) when i was getting started in this hobby. i refused to get entranced because i think they were 4800 aud retail at the time (worse now). i just couldn't come at it.

Curious about what your opinion on the Fourte might be when you get to try it. I have auditioned the Fourte multiple times when I was deciding on which 64 to get. I tried to like it but I couldn’t. The sound sig is just way off of my preference. Between the U12 and Trio, I prefer the Trio, although IIRC they’re a bit similar. Which is how I ended up on the Trio now.

Jul 4, 2019 at 4:07 AM Post #6,863 of 23,556
in my previous post i said "i am sure on the 1950s it would not be so easy (sound sameish i think). "

i will listen to them both (trio and u18t) on the 1950s now and in the future i will not post lazy probably incorrect stuff like that (i hope)

Jul 4, 2019 at 4:29 AM Post #6,864 of 23,556
in my previous post i said "i am sure on the 1950s it would not be so easy (sound sameish i think). "

i will listen to them both (trio and u18t) on the 1950s now and in the future i will not post lazy probably incorrect stuff like that (i hope)

Maybe I wasn't clear with what I meant as well. I'm talking about Fourte vs U18t.

Since you like the Trio, and said the U18t is better, I'm curious where you rank Fourte.

Jul 4, 2019 at 4:47 AM Post #6,865 of 23,556
oh you were clear. i was just ashamed of what i'd said all on my own. yeah i can't wait to hear the fourte's. if i am clever i guess i might have all 3 together for a little while for comparison.

ok so i went back and listened to u18t and trio on pw 1950 cable. i am ashamed to say this made me realise that previously i had them with different tips in previous listening on r4 cable.

ok so findings:
1. different tips makes a much bigger difference than anything (symbio seem to full on sabotage the trio's versus jvc spiral dots)
2. using the r4 cable from silverfi the u18t and trio are pretty close but u18t sparkles a little more, bass is a little fuller described maybe and staging/detail is very slightly better
3. on pw 1950s cable couldn't tell much difference except for a very minor feeling again that u18t is more "on". huge difference in 1950 cable versus r4. 1950 so loud and pushes everything to front of stage. perfect for commute (and legitimately sounds beautiful especially with u18t) but r4 is so much better and more natural and more effortless in its presentation. it is crazy.

Jul 4, 2019 at 5:55 AM Post #6,866 of 23,556
Jul 4, 2019 at 8:03 AM Post #6,867 of 23,556

I received my A12t just over a week ago. I picked up the U12t over the Christmas holidays after demoing it along side some other TOTL offerings from Campfire Audio and Noble and some extensive research. In the store the U12t stood out above the rest for its coherency across the frequency range and incredible bass texture. When Mountains from the Interstellar soundtrack crescendoed I literally opened my mouth in awe.

My main home listening headphone at the time was an LCD-3F and I was left with the feeling that these did everything down low, and a whole lot more across the rest of the audio spectrum.

First impressions can be misleading, it’s quite often the headphone that wows during a demo that quickly becomes tiresome upon longer listens but not so with the U12t. I found it replacing my office headphone (MrSpeakers AFC) and travel cans (Song MRD-1000X). Over-ears remaining a home favourite largely for comfort - I like to give my ear canals a rest.

The A12t does everything the U12t did but bit better. Fit is always consistent meaning the sound sig is too. Isolation is improved meaning micro-detail is easier to pick out. The sound signature is perfect for me, I like a little extra bass but it’s not overwhelming. Others have summed it up well by saying it doesn’t add frequencies when not present in the recording, it when called for the lower register is textured and impactful in a way BAs aren’t supposed to be.

I’ve mentioned bass a lot as this was an area that I didn’t realise IEMs we’re capable of equalling or besting full sized headphones in but yup, these do just just. As for the rest of the frequency range, I could flippantly sum it up by saying every frequency sounds forward - and I mean that in the best of ways - a huge amount of sonic information is presented and you’re left to pick and choose what to focus on or just sit back and let it wash over you. It’s not a fatiguing experience and it continue to impress me every time I listen.

I’m by no means a professional reviewer so please take this comments with a healthy grain of salt, i’m very much an audio enthusiast who only owns gear he loves.

Big thanks to @Scorpio1957 for persuading me to go custom, Giselle for the perfect ear impressions and last but not least Dan Feel from Offslip (UK Audio 64 dealer) for making everything happen with legendary customer service and a huge smile.

Photographed with AK SP1000M and Effect Audio Eros II (I’m now using the stock cable as the connectors pinch my ear which really hurts. I’ll be demoing other cables at CanJam London and get a custom made up with low profile connectors).

Jul 4, 2019 at 8:12 AM Post #6,868 of 23,556
IMG_1897.JPG IMG_1896.JPG IMG_1892.JPG Firstly thank you 64 Audio for making an amazing IEM and doing such a fantastic build with my impressions, a shout out for Giselle for doing such a fantastic job on my ear impressions, exspecially with the shame of my ears! Also to Dan Feel at Offslip who did a fantastic job throughout the sales process and over his time, patience and expertise is my demo sessions and last but not least to@baseonmars and his family with out his help I probably would not be listening to these amazing IEM's.

Jul 4, 2019 at 8:33 AM Post #6,869 of 23,556
If Universals fit me fine and I get good seals, is there any point in getting customs?

Jul 4, 2019 at 8:36 AM Post #6,870 of 23,556
For everyone’s information, 64 Audio has 15% off of customs with free premium or art faceplates on their website.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back