The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Jul 4, 2019 at 8:40 AM Post #6,871 of 23,646
If Universals fit me fine and I get good seals, is there any point in getting customs?
I might get a bit of rage for saying this, but as someone who has the A18t - I strongly, strongly recommend you stay away from customs. Was a big mistake for me, and again - this was just my case

1. They get way dirtier and you lose the eartip protection so any earwax etc goes straight into the IEM/filter
2. Acryllic is much easier to break than aluminum (mine broke in a week haha *due to a fall from my desk, indeed*)
3. Maintenance is much more expensive in case of issues, breaks etc

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2019 at 8:54 AM Post #6,872 of 23,646
I might get a bit of rage for saying this, but as someone who has the A18t - I strongly, strongly recommend you stay away from customs. Was a big mistake for me, and again - this was just my case

1. They get way dirtier and you lose the eartip protection so any earwax etc goes straight into the IEM/filter
2. Acryllic is much easier to break than aluminum (mine broke in a week haha)
3. Maintenance is much more expensive in case of issues, breaks etc

Please add the disclaimer that they broke due to falling off a desk onto a hard floor. I've had my A6t's for a year now and they still look new.

If you let the universal fall the same height, the housing might not break but BA's are delicate drivers and it is best to look after them and not subject them to severe shock like this.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2019 at 8:56 AM Post #6,873 of 23,646
Please add the disclaimer that they broke due to falling off a desk onto a hard floor. I've had my A6t's for a year now and they still look new.
Added :)

Might be an isolated bad experience I've had, I agree, but simply sharing what happened in my case

Jul 4, 2019 at 9:00 AM Post #6,874 of 23,646
If I stay with universal, I know which one to get now. Legend X and get U12t later. Empire Ears has 15% off of all IEMs, except the preorder EST IEMS, so their universals are on sale too and fit me just fine. 64 Audio's sale is only for Customs as universals are not on sale. Noble has them both beat with 20% off universals, but I am not buying a Noble IEM.

Jul 4, 2019 at 9:01 AM Post #6,875 of 23,646
If I stay with universal, I know which one to get now. Legend X and get U12t later. Empire Ears has 15% off of all IEMs, except the preorder EST IEMS, so their universals are on sale too and fit me just fine. 64 Audio's sale is only for Customs as universals are not on sale. Noble has them both beat with 20% off universals, but I am not buying a Noble IEM.
Why not Noble? They make some really good stuff

Jul 4, 2019 at 9:09 AM Post #6,876 of 23,646
Why not Noble? They make some really good stuff

Because I haven’t heard their products. I may buy from them at another time, but I won’t buy high dollar IEMs without hearing first.

Jul 4, 2019 at 9:10 AM Post #6,877 of 23,646
If Universals fit me fine and I get good seals, is there any point in getting customs?
I personally don't think so, but many contest that the sound is better with customs. Having had both, I think it circles back to the seal issues many have with universals. The sticking point with me is that resale value is much greater with universals, and I've resigned myself to the probability that I won't keep a pair of iems for more than two or three years at best.

Jul 4, 2019 at 9:48 AM Post #6,878 of 23,646
I'm sticking with the aluminium housing on things this expensive I would really like to jump on board with the legend x but I hear they have real brittle shells. From those who I know with the experience of the product they have always said go for the mkii instead (in their opinion) same sound sig better buildl driver flex

Full disclosure I do not own any ee products and cannot speak personally to their shell quality. But it was even addressed on their MD release of the Zeus x

Jul 4, 2019 at 9:51 AM Post #6,879 of 23,646
I'm sticking with the aluminium housing on things this expensive I would really like to jump on board with the legend x but I hear they have real brittle shells. From those who I know with the experience of the product they have always said go for the mkii instead (in their opinion) same sound sig better buildl driver flex

Full disclosure I do not own any ee products and cannot speak personally to their shell quality. But it was even addressed on their MD release of the Zeus x
I'm with you on that one - not purchasing anything that's not aluminium or some metal again, it's just stressful knowing you have something this gentle, especially for someone as clumsy as me

Jul 4, 2019 at 9:58 AM Post #6,880 of 23,646
Store owner gave me a U18t loaner. I'm going to use this opportunity to decide if I want this, or wait for that new 64 IEM.

Quick impression: fit is even better than Trio since it's shallower. And that soundstage.. omg that soundstage.. and the micro details... I need more of this.

Jul 4, 2019 at 10:08 AM Post #6,881 of 23,646
For me, I had 2 original A12s and A18t before. I have no problem with the acrylic shell, its very durable and hard to scratch. Aluminum shell (Encore) or SS shell (Atlas) are very easy to scratch. Only metal shell like vega or solaris is durable for me. Thats what I experienced.
Btw my 2nd A18t will come in a next couple weeks. I regretted when i sold mine before.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2019 at 10:27 AM Post #6,883 of 23,646
I personally don't think so, but many contest that the sound is better with customs. Having had both, I think it circles back to the seal issues many have with universals. The sticking point with me is that resale value is much greater with universals, and I've resigned myself to the probability that I won't keep a pair of iems for more than two or three years at best.

The seal, yeah. But also, it's possible—at least for me—to have a seal where the nozzle is directed wrongly in the ear, and things sound subtly (sometimes not so subtly) wrong. A silicone flange that's barely inside a wide-open ear canal like mine, even if it's got no gaps in the seal, has considerable slop in the adjustment.

But a custom has basically no slop whatsoever. If the maker has properly aimed the nozzle—and even better, put the TIA tweeter right up next to the ear drum—it's that way every time.

Jul 4, 2019 at 10:33 AM Post #6,884 of 23,646
I am trying to find art I like for Faceplates if I get custom. I think simple is better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back