64 Audio A12t/U12t Impressions
Jun 12, 2019 at 8:19 AM Post #92 of 273
They work well with most genres, but if you like Classical, or Metal I'd suggest getting something like the Andromeda, or upgrade and go for the U18t/A18t.
By tuning Apex m15, the bass will reduce and crispness and clarity will extend, right? Isn't this the good thing about 64 audio, which can be tuned personally just by changing modules?

Jun 12, 2019 at 4:17 PM Post #93 of 273
^ yes, this is correct.

it's an amazing benefit of 64a's products that you can make such major changes to the sound signature so seamlessly...it's like getting multiple iems for the price of one.

this greatly helps justify the price of their totl offerings...along with the fact that they produce some of the best sound quality i've ever heard from any audio device.

Jun 17, 2019 at 4:59 AM Post #98 of 273
Anyone tried Double Helix Clone Fusion cable with their U/A12t?

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2019 at 9:32 AM Post #99 of 273
I'm new to this forum, but wished I’d run across it before I’d purchased a pair of A12t’s as there is much good information here. I just got my 12At’s a few days ago and I’d like to add my 2 cents as I may have a different perspective per my uses/needs. First, I’ve made my living as a recording engineer/sound designer/mixer and musician for 40 years and I’ve seen a tremendous change in the technology. This is my 4th pair or CIEM’s since about 2006. I never do the full mix on “Ears” but I switch between monitors quite a but and IEM’s are just one of them. Mostly I use them to check my reverb and delay returns. When you go from a 90 degree perspective with near field monitors to 180 degrees with IEM’s it can make the verb and delay sound too loud, and that’s just not a modern mix these days. Second, I use them to check for any little loose strings falling out in the mix. For instance the annoying tick you get if you don’t cut on the zero line when comp’ing vocals. Also, most people these days listen with headphones. If you're not checking your mix with them you're not doing your job.

Over all, I’m looking for a flat response with a smooth top end and a tight bottom in a set of monitors. When I looked at the sound signature on the 64A’s website the 12At’s had a slightly pushed bottom vs. the A18s, but I felt like every IEM I’ve ever used was lacking in bass so I went with the 12A’s. Plus the 18A’s were a thousand bucks more! My first impression when putting them on was “WHOA, THAT’S SOME BASS”! Too much for my taste as first. But as I listened to them over a couple of days I got used to it and now love them.

Here’s the deal on the bass. It’s mostly all sub bass, 80hz and down. The regular bass (100 – 300) is really nice and tight and never gets flabby or treads into the “mush” territory of 400. The crossover between bass and sub bass is really smooth. I never feel like there’s a place where instruments hit a certain frequency and BAM it’s all in the sub bass and too loud. However, I’ve heard a few mixes where the 12At’s have pushed the floor tom out of perspective. Over all I feel like if there are sub frequencies in the mix from synths, drum machine kicks, modern drums where a sampled kick has been added to the regular kick etc, you will really hear it and it goes down low. But if it’s an analogue recording made in the days before multiband compressors or and digital EQ, or to be mastered on vinyl, then it won’t suddenly make bass where there really isn’t any. In other words, a Steely Dan record will still sound like Steely Dan, a podcast won’t sound all woofy, but a modern pop record WILL kick some butt in the bottom. Now, would I make mix decision with these? Only with a big grain of salt. I think 12At's could keep a mixer from over using a bass enhancer like Waves RBASS, but I wouldn’t set my EQ’s with them. The bottom line on the bottom end is this: You can get used to anything, and these took me about 2 hours of listening to get used to. Heck, I mixed on NS-10's for YEARS, so I know I can get used to these. Also, if I were a bass player I'd LOVE these as you can hear every note of the bass line.

Let me talk about the top end. Several people here have mentioned they sound “warm”. To me they sound more smooth than warm. The top end is all there. Cymbals, hi hat’s, bells, shakers, tambourine, are heard plan as day and at the right perspective, but without any harshness. Vocals never sound spitty or sibilant, just bight. I liken the top end to a Neumann U-47 microphone. It’s bright but never brittle.

If there’s any frequencies I think they are lacking it’s in the upper mid’s. 1k – 3K range. It’s never a problem and they certainly don’t sound scooped, but there are time’s where I wish there was just a little more for guitars and vocals. But you can’t have everything. It’s like a balloon. If you push in on one side the other will pop out. I do wonder if there was just a little less sub bass would these make the upper mid's come out more? But then you’d be so close to the 18At’s for $1000 less. So some of it is where you market your product.

OK, that’s my review. Sorry for the long post. I hope this is helpful for someone…

MM.

Jul 7, 2019 at 1:47 PM Post #101 of 273
I'm new to this forum, but wished I’d run across it before I’d purchased a pair of A12t’s as there is much good information here. I just got my 12At’s a few days ago and I’d like to add my 2 cents as I may have a different perspective per my uses/needs. First, I’ve made my living as a recording engineer/sound designer/mixer and musician for 40 years and I’ve seen a tremendous change in the technology. This is my 4th pair or CIEM’s since about 2006. I never do the full mix on “Ears” but I switch between monitors quite a but and IEM’s are just one of them. Mostly I use them to check my reverb and delay returns. When you go from a 90 degree perspective with near field monitors to 180 degrees with IEM’s it can make the verb and delay sound too loud, and that’s just not a modern mix these days. Second, I use them to check for any little loose strings falling out in the mix. For instance the annoying tick you get if you don’t cut on the zero line when comp’ing vocals. Also, most people these days listen with headphones. If you're not checking your mix with them you're not doing your job.

Over all, I’m looking for a flat response with a smooth top end and a tight bottom in a set of monitors. When I looked at the sound signature on the 64A’s website the 12At’s had a slightly pushed bottom vs. the A18s, but I felt like every IEM I’ve ever used was lacking in bass so I went with the 12A’s. Plus the 18A’s were a thousand bucks more! My first impression when putting them on was “WHOA, THAT’S SOME BASS”! Too much for my taste as first. But as I listened to them over a couple of days I got used to it and now love them.

Here’s the deal on the bass. It’s mostly all sub bass, 80hz and down. The regular bass (100 – 300) is really nice and tight and never gets flabby or treads into the “mush” territory of 400. The crossover between bass and sub bass is really smooth. I never feel like there’s a place where instruments hit a certain frequency and BAM it’s all in the sub bass and too loud. However, I’ve heard a few mixes where the 12At’s have pushed the floor tom out of perspective. Over all I feel like if there are sub frequencies in the mix from synths, drum machine kicks, modern drums where a sampled kick has been added to the regular kick etc, you will really hear it and it goes down low. But if it’s an analogue recording made in the days before multiband compressors or and digital EQ, or to be mastered on vinyl, then it won’t suddenly make bass where there really isn’t any. In other words, a Steely Dan record will still sound like Steely Dan, a podcast won’t sound all woofy, but a modern pop record WILL kick some butt in the bottom. Now, would I make mix decision with these? Only with a big grain of salt. I think 12At's could keep a mixer from over using a bass enhancer like Waves RBASS, but I wouldn’t set my EQ’s with them. The bottom line on the bottom end is this: You can get used to anything, and these took me about 2 hours of listening to get used to. Heck, I mixed on NS-10's for YEARS, so I know I can get used to these. Also, if I were a bass player I'd LOVE these as you can hear every note of the bass line.

Let me talk about the top end. Several people here have mentioned they sound “warm”. To me they sound more smooth than warm. The top end is all there. Cymbals, hi hat’s, bells, shakers, tambourine, are heard plan as day and at the right perspective, but without any harshness. Vocals never sound spitty or sibilant, just bight. I liken the top end to a Neumann U-47 microphone. It’s bright but never brittle.

If there’s any frequencies I think they are lacking it’s in the upper mid’s. 1k – 3K range. It’s never a problem and they certainly don’t sound scooped, but there are time’s where I wish there was just a little more for guitars and vocals. But you can’t have everything. It’s like a balloon. If you push in on one side the other will pop out. I do wonder if there was just a little less sub bass would these make the upper mid's come out more? But then you’d be so close to the 18At’s for $1000 less. So some of it is where you market your product.

OK, that’s my review. Sorry for the long post. I hope this is helpful for someone…

MM.

I thought of your post when I was swapping around my A12t APEX (M15) modules today with ATOM (by FiR Audio).

Random thought... that the black ATOM (-13dB) could be one that would be interesting for you to try and would be interested to read your views of it in light of your impression about bass presentation of A12t.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2019 at 8:14 AM Post #102 of 273
I thought of your post when I was swapping around my A12t APEX (M15) modules today with ATOM (by FiR Audio).

Random thought... that the black ATOM (-13dB) could be one that would be interesting for you to try and would be interested to read your views of it in light of your impression about bass presentation of A12t.

What is the ATOM? I'm not familiar with this. Is this a different filter for the Apex? Can you send a link? One note. I currently have mine with the -20 filter. This weekend I played 2 festival gigs where the mains were SUPER loud and there was tons of stage volume. The A12t's worked perfectly and I had a great mix in the ears.

Also, the seal on my new ears is REALLY tight. Tighter than any other pair I've owned. So much so that when I put them in I can hear my heartbeat. For sure a good seal = good bass response. It's why I always recommend custom molds.

Jul 8, 2019 at 10:14 PM Post #103 of 273
What is the ATOM? I'm not familiar with this. Is this a different filter for the Apex? Can you send a link? One note. I currently have mine with the -20 filter. This weekend I played 2 festival gigs where the mains were SUPER loud and there was tons of stage volume. The A12t's worked perfectly and I had a great mix in the ears.

Also, the seal on my new ears is REALLY tight. Tighter than any other pair I've owned. So much so that when I put them in I can hear my heartbeat. For sure a good seal = good bass response. It's why I always recommend custom molds.

Oh... the URL link is there in the original post (albeit embedded) but here you go:-

https://www.firaudio.com/store/atom-xl-modules

There's a review by twister6 if you're interested:-

https://twister6.com/2019/05/03/snapshot-fir-audio-atom-xl-modules/

Jul 9, 2019 at 7:43 AM Post #104 of 273
Oh... the URL link is there in the original post (albeit embedded) but here you go:-

https://www.firaudio.com/store/atom-xl-modules

There's a review by twister6 if you're interested:-

https://twister6.com/2019/05/03/snapshot-fir-audio-atom-xl-modules/

Hmm, very interesting. I may have to try this.

On another subject; BLUETOOTH. Has anyone found a 2 pin 75 mm bluetooth cable that has enough power to drive the A12t's? I cycle a lot and for safety reasons I don't want to be tethered to my phone with a cable.

Sep 3, 2019 at 7:38 AM Post #105 of 273
Dumb question - how much of a 'step up' is the u12t from the previous model (u12 with MAM)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back