The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
May 27, 2022 at 12:13 AM Post #20,176 of 23,560
Oh my gosh, I LOVE AGNES OBEL! And U12t brings her voice to life
And just got my DX300 and really liking it to be honest
There is a Amp13 to be launched with NuTube soon
Gonna get one
FB_IMG_1653607466356.jpg

May 27, 2022 at 12:45 PM Post #20,177 of 23,560
I am curious, does the APEX technology in fact help those with tinnitus to have an easier (less flare ups) listening experience than without it? I've been searching and reading threads here, there were some mixed reviews, but involving very few people and this was several years ago already. Any new thoughts from anyone about this? (I'm considering the U12t). :) Thanks.
For me it comes down to all day comfort and fatigue. I use my IEMs at work all day, so I need something that is comfortable and not fatiguing. My 64 Audio Trios are the best of all my IEMs in that regard. Whether or not the APEX feature helps reduce my tinnitus is up in the air, but I can wear them all day and I'll forget I have them in my ears. I typically listen at low volumes also.

For comparison, yesterday I brought out my 2nd favorite IEMs, my Aurisonics ASG1+ (highly recommended if you can find a pair). At around 3pm in the afternoon I had to rip them out of my ears I was so uncomfortable.

The U12t is on my list of IEMs to try.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I use Spin Fit tips with my Trios. The stock tips would slide off the nozzle too often. There is no lip on the nozzle to prevent this, so a tight fitting tip is needed in my case. And I use JVC Spiral Dots or Spin Fits with my ASG1+.

Last edited:
May 27, 2022 at 12:51 PM Post #20,178 of 23,560
Hi everyone. So, today I tried out the U12t phones at the famous e-earphone store in Tokyo, using them with my Shanling M3X player. Wow! They sound great. I understand the fuss about them.

HOWEVER... there was a problem. I was having trouble getting a good seal with my right ear. I realized that my right ear canal must be narrower, so literally it just wouldnt go in very far, the tube seemed too thick for it. I am a long time Etymotics user, and this is never a problem, the stem seems to be significantly narrower, so they do fit. I'm a foamies guy (that doesn't sound quite right...), so in the store, I was able to try the Comply small, medium, and large. Actually, with the large, I could kind of get a seal in my right ear. I suppose this might be because it was so large that it was covering the canal from the outside? I don't know. It wasn't ideal, but it did work. SO my question to you all is... if you have a similar issue with 1 or both canals being too narrow for these phones, and you use foams, are you able to make it work and get a good seal? How? I actually don't like the comply, I never have. I much, much prefer the Etymotic brand ones. They're not so squishy and soft, they're easier to roll before you put them in and get a nice narrow tube to stick in your ear that keeps its shape for a little while, and then it really fills out. I don't know... is there another foam brand I might have better luck with, maybe one more similar to the Etymotic brand foam, or...? Or basically, is there no real solution if the ear canal is a bit too narrow for the stem? I did actually do alright with the large comply, there was a seal I think, but... I don't know. Anyway, thoughts? I want to see if I can make this work. Thanks.

And @Rodmunch and everyone above, thank you for your replies regarding my other question. :) Now I really need to figure out the size and seal issue.

Last edited:
May 27, 2022 at 1:33 PM Post #20,179 of 23,560
Hi everyone. So, today I tried out the U12t phones at the famous e-earphone store in Tokyo, using them with my Shanling M3X player. Wow! They sound great. I understand the fuss about them.

HOWEVER... there was a problem. I was having trouble getting a good seal with my right ear. I realized that my right ear canal must be narrower, so literally it just wouldnt go in very far, the tube seemed too thick for it. I am a long time Etymotics user, and this is never a problem, the stem seems to be significantly narrower, so they do fit. I'm a foamies guy (that doesn't quite right...), so in the store, I was able to try the Comply small, medium, and large. Actually, with the large, I could kind of get a seal in my right ear. I suppose this might be because it was so large that it was covering the canal from the outside? I don't know. It wasn't ideal, but it did work. SO my question to you all is... if you have a similar issue with 1 or both canals being too narrow for these phones, and you use foams, are you able to make it work and get a good seal? How? I actually don't like the comply, I never have. I much, much prefer the Etymotic brand ones. They're not so squishy and soft, they're easier to roll before you put them in and get a nice narrow tube to stick in your ear that keeps its shape for a little while, and then it really fills out. I don't know... is there another foam brand I might have better luck with, maybe one more similar to the Etymotic brand foam, or...? Or basically, is there no real solution if the ear canal is a bit too narrow for the stem? I did actually do alright with the large comply, there was a seal I think, but... I don't know. Anyway, thoughts? I want to see if I can make this work. Thanks.

And @Rodmunch and everyone above, thank you for your replies regarding my other question. :) Now I really need to figure out the size and seal issue.
I don’t use comply anymore as I found them a bit stiff and difficult to put in, and I found them a little bit uncomfortable. For my Trio I use the orange Symbio F foams. I find them soft enough to put into the ears and I don’t get any bulge or stress on the ear canals. I can easily listen to the Trio for hours without any fatigue. I obviously can’t say whether this would work for you or not but it’s something to consider perhaps.

May 27, 2022 at 2:09 PM Post #20,180 of 23,560

HOWEVER... there was a problem. I was having trouble getting a good seal with my right ear. I realized that my right ear canal must be narrower, so literally it just wouldnt go in very far, the tube seemed too thick for it. I am a long time Etymotics user, and this is never a problem, the stem seems to be significantly narrower, so they do fit. I'm a foamies guy (that doesn't sound quite right...), so in the store, I was able to try the Comply small, medium, and large. Actually, with the large, I could kind of get a seal in my right ear. I suppose this might be because it was so large that it was covering the canal from the outside? I don't know. It wasn't ideal, but it did work. SO my question to you all is... if you have a similar issue with 1 or both canals being too narrow for these phones, and you use foams, are you able to make it work and get a good seal? How? I actually don't like the comply, I never have. I much, much prefer the Etymotic brand ones. They're not so squishy and soft, they're easier to roll before you put them in and get a nice narrow tube to stick in your ear that keeps its shape for a little while, and then it really fills out. I don't know... is there another foam brand I might have better luck with, maybe one more similar to the Etymotic brand foam, or...? Or basically, is there no real solution if the ear canal is a bit too narrow for the stem? I did actually do alright with the large comply, there was a seal I think, but... I don't know. Anyway, thoughts? I want to see if I can make this work. Thanks.

In my experience, the Comply SmartCore Sport Pro Premium tips have worked exceptionally well because they’re specifically designed to prevent slipping in sport/exercise applications-- they use a foam material that is less dense so they are more comfortable and have less impact on the sound than the standard Comply 500 series. @shabta also recently tracked down the Sport Pro tips and reported they solved his fit woes. Silicone is generally a less than ideal material for ear tips and especially for users with small ear canals.

Last edited:
May 27, 2022 at 3:09 PM Post #20,181 of 23,560
I don’t use comply anymore as I found them a bit stiff and difficult to put in, and I found them a little bit uncomfortable. For my Trio I use the orange Symbio F foams. I find them soft enough to put into the ears and I don’t get any bulge or stress on the ear canals. I can easily listen to the Trio for hours without any fatigue. I obviously can’t say whether this would work for you or not but it’s something to consider perhaps.

Thanks!! So I have been searching and actually can;t find the info, do you happen to know the bore size for these phones? Anyway, are these the orange foams? https://www.amazon.com/SYMBIO-Memory-Universal-Premium-Earbuds/dp/B08R94MCKF?th=1
In my experience, the Comply SmartCore Sport Pro Premium tips have worked exceptionally well because they’re specifically designed to prevent slipping in sport/exercise applications-- they use a foam material that is less dense so they are more comfortable and have less impact on the sound than the standard Comply 500 series. @shabta also recently tracked down the Sport Pro tips and reported they solved his fit woes. Silicone is generally a less than ideal material for ear tips and especially for users with small ear canals.

Yeah, I do'nt like silicone tips, I'm all about the foam. Thanks guys for the leads, looks like I have some experimenting to do. That's interesting, that the sport pro solved fit woes. For these Complys, and also the Symbios, do I need to worry about bore size? I can't seem to find the U12t bore size, but I guess if it's like standard and all these tips fit then it doesn't matter. ... At the end of the say though I do wonder if any tip can solve the problem of an ear canal being too narrow...

Also, I have to say,. even if I do get a good fit I can tell that it won't be possible with these phones to get the isolation that Etymotics provide. It's no small thing on a noisy train. Thats said I guess some tip experimentation is in order.

May 27, 2022 at 3:47 PM Post #20,182 of 23,560
For these Complys, and also the Symbios, do I need to worry about bore size?... Also, I have to say,. even if I do get a good fit I can tell that it won't be possible with these phones to get the isolation that Etymotics provide. It's no small thing on a noisy train. Thats said I guess some tip experimentation is in order.
Yes, you'll need the Sx-500 version. With respect to isolation, it depends on the proper fit of the tip and 64 Audio Apex module used but you likely will not achieve the high level of isolation as Etymōtic in ear monitors. That said, I have owned Etymōtic ER4 monitors since 1993 and think very highly of them especially for users with small ear canals.

May 27, 2022 at 4:28 PM Post #20,184 of 23,560
Does anyone know if you can still track the production steps of your CIEMs? And how long it took until production began from date of purchase if you didn't do the rush build? Getting antsy and thinking maybe I should've done the 7-day build on my A3T:o2smile:

Nope, they got rid of that a while ago.

If they had your impressions already I think it starts the following business day.

May 27, 2022 at 6:27 PM Post #20,185 of 23,560
Thanks!! So I have been searching and actually can;t find the info, do you happen to know the bore size for these phones? Anyway, are these the orange foams? https://www.amazon.com/SYMBIO-Memory-Universal-Premium-Earbuds/dp/B08R94MCKF?th=1
Yes, those are the Symbio F.

With regards to the bore size I found an interesting post that will show you the relative size of the nozzles for U12t and Trio. I hope it’s useful.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...ia-technologies.826606/page-913#post-15875707

Last edited:
May 27, 2022 at 9:34 PM Post #20,186 of 23,560
I too have found the Comply SmartCore Sport Pros excellent woth the U12T, and use Westone OtoEase lubricant to help reduce friction-related soreness when inserting them- though it is important not to use too much as that makes the foams slip out of place/seal. I also have different sized ear canals (R larger than L) and have of late alternatively been using SpintFit CP 145 large silicones which fortunately work pretty well, but so do the Azla Sedna Xelastics (large). While both of them more block the external canal than fit into it, I find that the quality of bass is a bit tighter and bass decay is less artificially prolonged than with the foams, and treble extension, quantity and technicalities are more preserved than with foams. But sometimes I just want to feel the bass slam rattle my brains and the foams are great for this.

Having said all this, I am using the same approach with the same tips with EE Legend X and Thieaudio Monarch Mk2 and receive the same general effect. The particular qualities of each IEM vary of course, but live found this tip approach works across these quite different t IEMs.

May 27, 2022 at 9:48 PM Post #20,187 of 23,560
I too have found the Comply SmartCore Sport Pros excellent woth the U12T, and use Westone OtoEase lubricant to help reduce friction-related soreness when inserting them- though it is important not to use too much as that makes the foams slip out of place/seal. I also have different sized ear canals (R larger than L) and have of late alternatively been using SpintFit CP 145 large silicones which fortunately work pretty well, but so do the Azla Sedna Xelastics (large). While both of them more block the external canal than fit into it, I find that the quality of bass is a bit tighter and bass decay is less artificially prolonged than with the foams, and treble extension, quantity and technicalities are more preserved than with foams. But sometimes I just want to feel the bass slam rattle my brains and the foams are great for this.

Having said all this, I am using the same approach with the same tips with EE Legend X and Thieaudio Monarch Mk2 and receive the same general effect. The particular qualities of each IEM vary of course, but live found this tip approach works across these quite different t IEMs.
Agreed. The Comply SmartCore Sport Pro Premium tips are good for users with small or irregular ear canal shapes. In addition to the shape of the outer memory foam, their extremely thin, flexible core allows the tip to be compressed to a very small overall diameter. By comparison, SpinFit and AZLA tips have rigid, thick cores and that becomes the limiting factor in the overall tip diameter/compressibility and poor fit for users with small ear canals.

Last edited:
May 27, 2022 at 10:24 PM Post #20,188 of 23,560
As most probably know Andy passed away yesterday
Now Depeche Mode always was and still is one if not my most favorite band
Seen them live last time in Antwerp, Belgium
Hell of a concert
So if you got time listen to Home it's on the Ultra album
Have a great weekend my friends ... 🙏
IMG20220527191056-02.jpeg

Last edited:
May 27, 2022 at 10:37 PM Post #20,189 of 23,560
As most probably know Andy passed away yesterday
Now Depeche Mode always was and still is one if not my most favorite band
See them live last time in Antwerp, Belgium
Hell of a concert
So if you got time listen to Home it's on the Ultra album
Have a great weekend my friends ... 🙏
IMG20220527191056-02.jpeg
RIP Andy Fletcher :sunglasses::metal:

May 27, 2022 at 11:21 PM Post #20,190 of 23,560
Yes, those are the Symbio F.

With regards to the bore size I found an interesting post that will show you the relative size of the nozzles for U12t and Trio. I hope it’s useful.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...ia-technologies.826606/page-913#post-15875707
Actually that's very useful, thanks. Looking at that, I'm thinking that actually the Trio might be a better fit. I also found a pic of the Nio and that also looks like a promising candidate, maybe... https://headfonics.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/DSCF4254-1.jpg Would be great to see a comparison of all of their lineup but doesn't seem like that exists. I wonder if any of the 64 audio phones have a reputation for being a better fit for those with narrower ear canals? Personally, I want to go as etymotic-like as possible, for both stability and isolation, long thin stem that can be inserted more deeply.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back