The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
May 20, 2022 at 4:52 AM Post #20,146 of 23,560
Tips are so so important to universals. It took me a lot of swaps to figure out that Spinfit CP 145s larges were ideal for the U12T - fortunately for me. This is definitely something that varies person to person and it cannot be controlled for in reviews- which is why I think it is important to either demo a new IEM or read multiple (read: many) reviews before taking the risk of a blind order.
Yes it is, last few weeks I've been trying different tips on my trio, and I always come back to the original spiral dots. Between different silicone tips I don't hear a great difference. I also tried comply's, but those ruined the sound. So I use the spirat dots because those are the most comfortable, the silicone is softer (thinner) than other silicone tips, which prolong the time I can use them. I also liked the xelastacs, but I see a lot of people don't. I tried the following tips:
Spiral Dots size ML
Xelastec, size MS
Azla earfit light short, size MS
Spinfit size M
Symbio W size M

The strange thing with the Trio, for the most silicone tips I had to go one size bigger, than I use on the Mest or the Monarch. I think because the Trio doesn't go that deep into my ear.

I wonder if the spiral dot ++ wil make any difference?

May 20, 2022 at 4:56 AM Post #20,147 of 23,560
Yes it is, last few weeks I've been trying different tips on my trio, and I always come back to the original spiral dots. Between different silicone tips I don't hear a great difference. I also tried comply's, but those ruined the sound. So I use the spirat dots because those are the most comfortable, the silicone is softer (thinner) than other silicone tips, which prolong the time I can use them. I also liked the xelastacs, but I see a lot of people don't. I tried the following tips:
Spiral Dots size ML
Xelastec, size MS
Azla earfit light short, size MS
Spinfit size M
Symbio W size M

The strange thing with the Trio, for the most silicone tips I had to go one size bigger, than I use on the Mest or the Monarch. I think because the Trio doesn't go that deep into my ear.

I wonder if the spiral dot ++ wil make any difference?
Nozzle on Mest and Monarch are way wider
About 6.5mm vs 4.5mm

May 20, 2022 at 9:13 AM Post #20,149 of 23,560
I’ve ordered the u12t based on its supposed to be while not the best at everything but is good at all aspects. What cable would people recommend for it?

May 20, 2022 at 9:30 AM Post #20,150 of 23,560
I’ve ordered the u12t based on its supposed to be while not the best at everything but is good at all aspects. What cable would people recommend for it?
30 quid Tripowin cable from Amazon (or direct from Linsoul) ? You're going to get all kinds of recommendations, get ready :wink:

May 20, 2022 at 10:08 AM Post #20,151 of 23,560
Honestly if you bought it from 64audio, it should come with their new updated cable that I actually like a lot. It is super lightweight, only minor gripe is it can get tangly.

Personally I use a 4 core graphene cable from xinhs, it costs about 40 USD and the color scheme matches U12t perfectly.

May 20, 2022 at 11:44 AM Post #20,153 of 23,560
Ah I didn’t realise that they had changed their cable for a better one :)

May 20, 2022 at 12:07 PM Post #20,155 of 23,560
I ordered this Brise Audio STR-7 Ref
Will be here end of June
dsc_7011 (1).jpg

May 20, 2022 at 12:35 PM Post #20,156 of 23,560
But what has the nozzle size has to do with the size of tip inside your ear?
I think because most people's ear canals are concave, if the nozzle girth is wider, we cannot fit it as deep in our ear. A smaller size tip can help offset this a bit.

As an example: Moondrop Blessing 2 has a nozzle girth of 6.5mm, I have to use Spring Tip size medium: 10.8mm.
64Audio U12t has a nozzle girth of 4-5mm(off the top of my head) so I use CP100 size medium: 12.2mm to reach a similar fit in my ears.

May 20, 2022 at 1:18 PM Post #20,157 of 23,560
But what has the nozzle size has to do with the size of tip inside your ear?
A wider in ear monitor nozzle can dramatically affect the fit for users with small ear canals because it increases the diameter of the tip's guide tube and minimum overall size. In addition to the large shell of the ThieAudio Monarch Mk II, the angle of the nozzle sometimes prevents it from fitting users with small ear canals. In my experience, it is easier to achieve more consistent sound from monitors with wider nozzles regardless of the fit whereas there is more variation due to the horn-effect of deeper fitting monitors. That said, I think 64 Audio has settled on a good size, nozzle diameter, and angle for its universal series because they work for most users. The fit issues often discussed in this thread have less to do with the monitors and more to do with silicone being a less than ideal material for ear tips (e.g. slip or seal problems after prolonged use).

Last edited:
May 20, 2022 at 1:43 PM Post #20,158 of 23,560
On a good price range. EA Leo II, then 64a silver premium (as @Damz87 said), than used to be Eros II. Now is the new EA Prototype 37.

May 20, 2022 at 1:44 PM Post #20,159 of 23,560
A wider in ear monitor nozzle can dramatically affect the fit for users with small ear canals because it increases the diameter of the tip's guide tube and minimum overall size. In addition to the large shell of the ThieAudio Monarch Mk II, the angle of the nozzle sometimes prevents it from fitting users with small ear canals. In my experience, it is easier to achieve more consistent sound from monitors with wider nozzles regardless of the fit whereas there is more variation due to the horn-effect of deeper fitting monitors. That said, I think 64 Audio has settled on a good size, nozzle diameter, and angle for its universal series because they work for most users. The fit issues often discussed in this thread have less to do with the monitors and more to do with silicone being a less than ideal material for ear tips (e.g. slip or seal problems after prolonged use).
That's why I never bought ThieAudio Monarch Mk II
And selling my UM Mest Mk II
Same nozzle size ... 🤷

May 20, 2022 at 6:56 PM Post #20,160 of 23,560
I think because most people's ear canals are concave, if the nozzle girth is wider, we cannot fit it as deep in our ear. A smaller size tip can help offset this a bit.

As an example: Moondrop Blessing 2 has a nozzle girth of 6.5mm, I have to use Spring Tip size medium: 10.8mm.
64Audio U12t has a nozzle girth of 4-5mm(off the top of my head) so I use CP100 size medium: 12.2mm to reach a similar fit in my ears.
Plus which the tips themselves have different bore sizes, you can't use a larger one on an IEM with a narrow nozzle, otherwise the tip can get stuck in your ear when you take out the IEM requiring a visit to a mirror with a pair of tweezers. :unamused:
Eg, Azlas tend to be larger bore, so on a smaller-nozzle IEM like the U6t or IER-Z1R, they get stuck in my ear so I don't use them.
Final E tips have a smaller bore size, work great for me as an alternative.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back