The "non-Grado" Driver Grado Thread
Oct 13, 2018 at 5:19 AM Post #662 of 754
I cannot find the px100ii anywhere in a reasonable price that can be shipped to me, are there other driver options? What about px200ii or hd 201/202?
Where are you located? I have a almost brand new pair that I don't intend to use but don't know where the original ear pads are so I have Grado flats on them. There are still in the original housing so you will have to dismantle them if building a SennGrado.

Oct 13, 2018 at 8:20 AM Post #663 of 754
Where are you located? I have a almost brand new pair that I don't intend to use but don't know where the original ear pads are so I have Grado flats on them. There are still in the original housing so you will have to dismantle them if building a SennGrado.
Im in the Philippines, and you?
Edit: I see you are from Hawaii, just a swim away yet so far

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #664 of 754
@ferez, the shipping to the Philippines is a bit much, I estimated it at $35 for a small flat rate box. Have you tried AliExpress, Luna Shops or others located closer to your part of the world?

PS: you might want to fill out your profile, makes it easier to provide recommendations since where one is located is usually important due to shipping/taxes.

Oct 14, 2018 at 12:25 PM Post #665 of 754
@ferez, the shipping to the Philippines is a bit much, I estimated it at $35 for a small flat rate box. Have you tried AliExpress, Luna Shops or others located closer to your part of the world?

PS: you might want to fill out your profile, makes it easier to provide recommendations since where one is located is usually important due to shipping/taxes.
Thanks fotr the tip . I saw someone in my area selling a used px 80, do they use the same driver as the px100?

Oct 14, 2018 at 6:08 PM Post #666 of 754
Thanks fotr the tip . I saw someone in my area selling a used px 80, do they use the same driver as the px100?
Sorry but I haven't heard a PX-80, maybe someone else can chime in with comments about the PX-80. I went to the Sennheiser site and it seems that the basic PX-100ii is discontinued since I couldn't find a listing for them, only ear pads and the newer ones with the controls/mic on the cord

Oct 15, 2018 at 4:53 PM Post #667 of 754
I'm still puzzled how when directly comparing the PX100ii to the SR60i, people say the Grado's SQ is way above the Sennheiser (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/grado-sr60i-vs-sennheiser-px100-audio-quality.448067/), yet transplanting the PX100's drivers in the Grados gives something that is better then the both of them. DFor me this outcome seem so unpredictable, it makes wonder how many cheap good drivers are there out there, we dont even know could be that good.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2018 at 10:30 PM Post #668 of 754
I'm still puzzled how when directly comparing the PX100ii to the SR60i, people say the Grado's SQ is way above the Sennheiser (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/grado-sr60i-vs-sennheiser-px100-audio-quality.448067/), yet transplanting the PX100's drivers in the Grados gives something that is better then the both of them. DFor me this outcome seem so unpredictable, it makes wonder how many cheap good drivers are there out there, we dont even know could be that good.

Its the cups. The original PX100ii housing is completely different from the Grado-style. moving the drivers to an open-backed cup, with a longer chamber behind it has a positive effect.

It seems unpredictable, but its true. The whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

Oct 17, 2018 at 2:25 AM Post #669 of 754
Do you guys think these headphones will work with the mod, transplanting the PX100 drivers in it?
It is basically some kind of a hybrid Grado rip-off, the drivers are 40mm and the cups are real wood.

OKCSC M1
61MCy43VNWL._SX425_.jpg

gal_okcsc_M1_031.jpg

gal_okcsc_M1_036.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2018 at 4:16 AM Post #670 of 754
@ferez, without knowing the dimensions of the cup its even harder to say how a PX-100ii driver would sound in them much less the type of wood (looks like mahogany). That has a interesting way of adjusting the headband but the materials look solid. I still think it might be better to get cups from Rholupat, one of the alternative drivers (Nhoord, Ypsilon, Magnum or Turbulent) and a donor Grado for the headband/rod blocks/gimbals, this way you are starting with a fairly well known sound. Also, if you go to the SennGrado thread there was a lot of talk that the PX-100ii drivers had some variance (I tried 5 and only 3 really sounded good, one was okay and the last was bad) so going with one of the 4 major driver makes more sense these days. Or if you can find a used SR60/80 for cheap just install them in wood cups, add dynamat or other damping material in the cups / back of driver magnet, open 1 or 2 vent holes if you want a touch more bass and get ear pads that suite you. This is probably a more costly way but it takes most of the guess work out of how they will sound.

Nov 29, 2018 at 11:42 AM Post #671 of 754
An alternative to the normal Grado builds out there: SportaPro drivers with knock-off g-gush pads:

IMG_20181129_072822_572.jpg
IMG_20181129_072822_574.jpg

The pads attenuate and clean up the SportaPro drivers' bass a somewhat. Overall the build is light and sounds rather satisfying. Not as technically proficient as some of the other aftermarket drivers out there, but highly enjoyable.

Nov 29, 2018 at 3:44 PM Post #673 of 754
An alternative to the normal Grado builds out there: SportaPro drivers with knock-off g-gush pads:

The pads attenuate and clean up the SportaPro drivers' bass a somewhat. Overall the build is light and sounds rather satisfying. Not as technically proficient as some of the other aftermarket drivers out there, but highly enjoyable.
Looks nice

Users who are viewing this thread

Back