Grado SR60i vs. Sennheiser PX100 (Audio quality)
Sep 30, 2009 at 9:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

ucrags84

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

Forgive my formatting, this is my first new thread. I am thinking of purchasing the Grado SR60i, and I have a Sennheiser PX100 right now.

The PX100 seems to have fairly decent sound quality for a portable headphone, but I want to know how it is compared to the Grado SR60i just in terms of audio quality ignoring factors such as style, and portability.

I will be using these headphones with my PC, standard audio out unampped. For portable use I have a Sony Walkman NWZ-A729 16GB. The Head-Fi community has commanded my respect on these topics, and I am confident this community can provide me with valuable information.

Thank you,
ucrags84

Sep 30, 2009 at 9:37 PM Post #2 of 11
The PX100 and SR60 are very different sounding headphones. The PX100 is very laid back, tends to be bass-boomy, and to me the highs are pretty rolled off (don't extend very high). The SR60 is very forward/direct/in-your-face (not laid back), very strong mids, and highs that can be fatiguing to some people. They are very active phones and great with rock, pop, and other loud active music. I don't consider the SR60 to be protable, exp the newer 'i' models with wider cups.

Oct 1, 2009 at 12:11 AM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by kmhaynes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The PX100 and SR60 are very different sounding headphones. The PX100 is very laid back, tends to be bass-boomy, and to me the highs are pretty rolled off (don't extend very high). The SR60 is very forward/direct/in-your-face (not laid back), very strong mids, and highs that can be fatiguing to some people. They are very active phones and great with rock, pop, and other loud active music. I don't consider the SR60 to be protable, exp the newer 'i' models with wider cups.

Well said. Not much to add to that except that the PX100s are what is usually called "dark" in sound signature and the SR60s are "bright".

Oct 2, 2009 at 8:22 AM Post #4 of 11
Buy a Grado SR60i for yourself cos you'll enjoy it too cos it has a different sound signature. It also don't need an amp to shine at its best potential. Plus you will experience 75% of audio nirvana. Just get the 25% from good music sources.

Buy it and you won't regret it!

Oct 2, 2009 at 12:56 PM Post #5 of 11
Have you considered to spend some extra $ and go for the Alessandro MS1 ($99 including shipping)?? It's similar to the Grado Sr125 but a little more laidback in sound. At least the differnce between my px100 and sr125 is HUGE!

Oct 2, 2009 at 3:08 PM Post #6 of 11
Grados are butt ugly but I wore them proudly, in public, for years.

No comparison on sound, Grados win hands down (although the PX have a cool Porsche design and great case).

Oct 2, 2009 at 8:52 PM Post #7 of 11
I can confirm that these 2 arent even in the same league. The grado's win hands-down, unless you're needing something more portable. PX100's vs Grado is like comparing a cassette recording to a cd. A whole level of clarity is peeled away.

Oct 2, 2009 at 11:17 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by RASeymour /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grados are butt ugly but I wore them proudly, in public, for years.

No comparison on sound, Grados win hands down (although the PX have a cool Porsche design and great case).

Quote:

Originally Posted by jleewach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can confirm that these 2 arent even in the same league. The grado's win hands-down, unless you're needing something more portable. PX100's vs Grado is like comparing a cassette recording to a cd. A whole level of clarity is peeled away.

Definitely, no contest

Users who are viewing this thread

Back