The "non-Grado" Driver Grado Thread
Jun 23, 2018 at 2:10 PM Post #646 of 754
In the last few months I've had the hd600, 650, and 800, I was amazed at just how close my SennGrado sounded like the hd600, almost identical.
I've made about ten or twelve pairs of SennGrado's for myself and others and have noticed that they all seem to have the same tone but there can be quite a difference between pairs in bass and treble. The one I kept was what I thought was the most neutral of the bunch.

One thing I noticed is that if you look through the reviews of any can there are always haters, or any other thing, not everyone likes the same thing.

You probably didn't get good drivers as there are many that like the Senngrado.
Check out the this thread of a Senngrado tour that Joedoe and I put together.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/woodied-sennheiser-aka-senngrado-tour-thread.728069/

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2018 at 3:00 AM Post #647 of 754
The PX-100ii driver is pretty good but its so inconsistent between pairs, out of 7 pairs that I had 2 were pretty much for the trash since they were out of balance and lacked any highs to the point that even a HD650 was brighter. After getting some Ypsilon and Nhoord drivers along with hearing a V7 build the PX-100ii driver is a bit lacking in extension in the highs and lows, a bit overly warm and does not have the resolution of the HD600/650 or any of the Ypsilon, Nhoord or Magnum drivers to me but for many that have heard the SennGrado when I still have them they were liked by many but then they were being compared to beats/bose/cheap ear buds that come with phones and once some heard the Ypsilon R1/G1 or Nhoord they usually noticed the differences quite quickly and most liked the Nhoord Red V2 as a good balance between bass/mids/highs along with being easy to drive and sounding pretty good from a phone or computer headphone jack.

Jun 26, 2018 at 12:30 PM Post #648 of 754
Ha Ha,,,here's the Senngrado review thread please show me where reviewers are comparing them to beats,bose, and cheap earbuds?

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/sennheiser-grado-hybrid-a-k-a-senngrado.20073/reviews#review-13971

Here is a few reviewers conclusions.
Written by The Plaidypus
Here's a quick run down. Compared to all of the other headphones in my collection, it is like a combination of the V-Moda M-80 and AKG K240, with a midrange that almost rivals the HD650 (yes, seriously).

Written by fleasbaby
The SennGrado showed a more natural presentation, and performed better with bass. It wasn’t shy, didn’t repress it and try to compensate with mids and treble as the Magnum X did. The Magnum tends to have a slightly one-dimensional bass presentation. Think doof-doof as opposed to boom-booooom. In addition, the SennGrado actually sounded a little more open sometimes, but at the same time a touch less controlled as a result. Both headphones showed similar levels of detail retrieval.

The SennGrados, surprisingly (given the drivers cost just over half of what the Magnum ones do) go head-to-head with the Magnum X. I found that comparing the two is more a question of sound signature preference, and not a “…yes, they will do as a poor-man’s substitute…” thing

Written by JoeDoe
The SennGrado bests anything in the Prestige series to these ears. They are of the same sound as the RS1/GS1000 with slight differences.

From my point of view, Soundstage is one of the strengths of the SennGrado.
I guess the lightweight is also quite decisive in this area.
When I closed my eyes, without being able to actually feel the SennGrado on my head, the music completely surrounded me. It was magic for jazz (So what) or Classical (1812 ouverture).
The instruments separation is trully excellent.
In addition, the detail and resolution of the tracks/records are really well presented on the SennGrado.

Written by esteboune
As stated the presentation is very airy. I just discovered that it does not suit all the types of music.
The LCD2 has a much more intimate presentation, the music is more IN your head rather that AROUND (SG).
For Dreams or Grace, the intimacy given by the LCD2 is much more enjoyable that the airy presentation of the SennGrado.

I found the B&W p7 quite in the middle.
Grado SR80 is not as good, by far.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2018 at 12:57 PM Post #649 of 754
...but for many that have heard the SennGrado when I still have them they were liked by many but then they were being compared to beats/bose/cheap ear buds that come with phones and once some heard the Ypsilon R1/G1 or Nhoord they usually noticed the differences quite quickly and most liked the Nhoord Red V2 as a good balance between bass/mids/highs along with being easy to drive and sounding pretty good from a phone or computer headphone jack.

Ha Ha,,,here's the Senngrado review thread please show me where reviewers are comparing them to beats,bose, and cheap earbuds?
@7keys I believe @DavidA was simply referring to friends and family (non-audiophiles with limited headphone experience) who had auditioned/compared his SennGrados with some other Grado DIY-like headphones that he had. Limited headphone experience meaning Beats, Bose, etc.

The real point I got from his post is that unfortunately for many the PX-100ii drivers were inconsistent in performance.

Jun 27, 2018 at 2:17 AM Post #651 of 754
@7keys, the real point was indeed that there is inconsistent performance in the PX-100ii driver but for those of my friends that have good/great gear all found the 2 best SennGrado builds that I had a bit lacking in one area or another with comments likes: nice balance but lacks details, one note bass and overly warm, rolled of highs which makes the sound a bit boring at times, decent sound stage width but lacking in height and depth, poor instrument separation, positional clues below average, great mids like HD650 but a bit grainy in the highs, and comfort with L pads is about a bad as it gets. The comments sound bad at times but most agree that for the price the SennGrado is above average but for a few like me that have a modified SR60/SR225e/RS2e or friends that have the GS1000e, modified SR325e, PS500e, and PS1000e the SennGrado is far behind even with the sorbothane on the back of the magnet, dynamat on the frame and in the cups which really helps cleanup the overall sound of any Grado type build from what I've built so far.

Some the headphones that I and friends have: HD600, HD650, HD660S, HD700, HD800, HD800S, T1 gen1 and gen2, HE400/400i/560/500/6/Xv2/1Kv2, Ether, Ether C, Ether Flow, SR009, SR007mk2, L-300, L-500, LCD-2.2/2f/3f/X, SR60, SR80e, 225i, 225e, 325i, 325e, PS-500e, PS-500, GS-1000e, GS-1000, PS-1000e, EL-8 open, K812, SRH-1840/1540, Ypsilon, Ypsilon R1/G1, Magnum V7/V8, Nhoord Red V2, Z1R, , Z7, and a bunch of more common ones like DT-990/770, K7XX, K712, Momentums, V-Moda, M50x, K553, MDR-1A, MDR-7506, MDR-1000x, and I still have a PX-100ii (stock).

Jun 27, 2018 at 11:41 AM Post #653 of 754
Ha Ha...After reading that long list of headphones you and your friends have you absolutely convinced me that me and the other folks that reviewed these cans in the senngrado tour thread and senngrado appreciation thread must be smoking crack.
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue:

Jun 27, 2018 at 2:19 PM Post #654 of 754
Ha Ha...After reading that long list of headphones you and your friends have you absolutely convinced me that me and the other folks that reviewed these cans in the senngrado tour thread and senngrado appreciation thread must be smoking crack.

I can confirm, I have a terrible crack habit.

Just kidding.

Jun 28, 2018 at 2:11 AM Post #656 of 754

I got into a discussion about the PX-100ii drivers with another Head-Fi person and what I found out was since I tend to listen at fairly low levels (55-75db) I don't get the PX-100ii to a state where the driver is starting to really distort and it also mask some of its short comings but for some of my friends who listen at higher levels (80-90dB) the PX-100ii drivers really start to distort to what they normally use so its an easy to notice difference.

Also, the set you sent on the review tour might have been a lot better than the 2 that I felt were the best of the bunch that my friends listened to.

I'm curious is there a way to build "grades" from parts? like aftermarket parts
Aside from the plastic cups of the SR series I think it possible since the SennGrado uses cups like those found in the RS/GS series

Jun 28, 2018 at 4:39 PM Post #657 of 754
I got into a discussion about the PX-100ii drivers with another Head-Fi person and what I found out was since I tend to listen at fairly low levels (55-75db) I don't get the PX-100ii to a state where the driver is starting to really distort and it also mask some of its short comings but for some of my friends who listen at higher levels (80-90dB) the PX-100ii drivers really start to distort to what they normally use so its an easy to notice difference.

Also, the set you sent on the review tour might have been a lot better than the 2 that I felt were the best of the bunch that my friends listened to.

Aside from the plastic cups of the SR series I think it possible since the SennGrado uses cups like those found in the RS/GS series

Inconsistency was the biggest issue I ran into with SennGrados. Turned me off of them completely. That first tour unit sure sounded beautiful though. Its almost like Sennheiser saw us all get excited and deliberately sabotaged their driver selections....LMAO.

Jun 28, 2018 at 6:38 PM Post #658 of 754
Agreed. I built a pair after reading the posts and I must have gotten one of the not great pairs because I thought they were, well......not great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back