Apr 26, 2014 at 4:35 PM Post #211 of 754
I'm thinking 
Nothing!

smily_headphones1.gif

I’m thinking Amethyst lined geode.

Apr 26, 2014 at 4:47 PM Post #212 of 754
  I'm thinking 
I’m thinking Amethyst lined geode.

...in all seriousness...anyone tried acrylics yet? I saw an article about it being used by folks turning pens, and I saw a pair of slip-ons made by Yew Audio on Etsy....

Apr 27, 2014 at 7:02 AM Post #213 of 754
As I remember LostintheMidrange wrote that 5-10% of what he heard was the cups (of course he meant only wood cups), I think most of us would agree that wood cups are better than plastic. What about aluminium? If it were so good why assemble PS500 or PS1000 with wooden inside?
Maybe wood inside - aluminium outside is the way? It wouldn't be cheap.

PS. Was Hp1000 all aluminium?
PPS. Maybe the way the SR100 sound is because of the plastic cups, I've read that HP1000 are more neutral (aluminium cups?) and not that funny sounding. I'm curious how HP's in wood would sound.

Apr 27, 2014 at 12:13 PM Post #214 of 754
...I tried to get RS1 style cups milled from aluminium a while back. It fell through though, I need to try again with a different machinist. The aim was to try and mimic the PS1 (well, I have no idea where I would figure out the drivers, but at least I would have a start with cups).

The HP1000 were indeed all aluminium.

Apr 27, 2014 at 12:24 PM Post #215 of 754
  ...I tried to get RS1 style cups milled from aluminium a while back. It fell through though, I need to try again with a different machinist. The aim was to try and mimic the PS1 (well, I have no idea where I would figure out the drivers, but at least I would have a start with cups).

The HP1000 were indeed all aluminium.

What exactly went wrong?
I'm thinking of aluminium cups, I'm going to ask how much would they cost.

I saw pics of the PS1 and to me they are exactly the same as RS1i cups but made from aluminium.
Or maybe PS1 cups are a bit higher?

Apr 27, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #216 of 754
The machinist took 4 weeks and still hadn't done them, so I cancelled the order...

Apr 27, 2014 at 2:49 PM Post #218 of 754
Indeed. I got so tired of calling and being told yet another job had needed to come before mine, I eventually told him I was headed elsewhere...

A few folks recommended I look at lining the aluminium cups with something when I got them to eliminate ringing. I wanted to try them before I did anything like that though.

May 8, 2014 at 2:08 PM Post #221 of 754
I just found some nice soft leather at a second hand store, going to try to make some leather pads. 

For all you Canadians who are looking for a good price on PX100 11,
 NCIX has them for $37 on sale today.

http://www.ncix.com/detail/sennheiser-px-100-ii-open-design-c6-86040-1374.htm

May 10, 2014 at 12:55 PM Post #222 of 754
I made some rather crude leather slip-ons for my G-cush pads and I really like the increase in bass they give. 

I was testing the closed cups against the open cups with Chesky records… Explorations in space &  time 176kHz/24bit recording. 

You really get the 3d sound scape with the closed cup and G-cush pads.  You have one track for distance, with the open cup the drums seem close but the closed cups push the sound way out. They have sound that come in from the left and circle you. With the open cups  you hear it come from the left and then appear on the right but the closed cups with G-cush you get the impression the sounds are moving around your head.

May 18, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #225 of 754
Just to let the SennGrado fans know, I created them on the review thread, so now we can more formally spread the word about how awesome they are!

http://www.head-fi.org/products/sennheiser-grado-hybrid-a-k-a-senngrado/reviews/11027

Users who are viewing this thread

Back