The NEW JVC HA-S400. Affordable Carbon Nanotube cans for the masses.
Oct 19, 2012 at 8:55 AM Post #481 of 1,522
I officially hate the S400.....listening to them again! Maybe I just don't know or remember what "good" sound is but I am content with these $25 headphones while I have hundreds and hundreds of dollars worth sitting on the desk over across the room collecting dust.... hopefully this infatuation wears off soon, my other more expensive babies are getting jealous.
BTW added the S500 headband pads on top of the existing S400 pads. Nice comfy fit now.

This is not a coincidence, rather becoming a fact.
You will hate that you will fall in love with these!
I am falling in love with the s400 mids..
I keep comparing to what I have,
and these mids are so alive and involving,
with the bass so defined it tickless my ears with goodness,
and highs so delicately clear with no harshness...
Its dam amazing to have all these qualities combined,
And utterly shocking from this price range.
I just touched my EQ slightly down around 500hz and mids turned from chocolate to vanilla.
Overall these s400 sounds close and personal without loosing any width or or ambience wich is also defined .

Oct 19, 2012 at 10:50 AM Post #482 of 1,522
I don't know... so far I'm still unconvinced. At least compared to the S500, which I love so much more. I haven't even opened my white pair of S400, which are sitting in a drawer right now.

Maybe I just need to devote some more time to listening to the S400, but I always feel like something's missing compared to the S500.

Oct 19, 2012 at 11:06 AM Post #483 of 1,522
I am actually waiting to get my hands on the s500 as I think also it may be more what I like but for now I am loving the intimacy these s400 provide.

Oct 19, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #486 of 1,522
Quote:
I've got these now -- are the HA-S500's less mid-centric? (I am really impressed with this model, but do prefer headphones that are at least somewhat more v-shaped.)

My guess is that the S500 is less mid-centric (more v-shaped) with the stock pads than the S400 (putting the ATH leather pads onto the S500 makes it more mid-centric imo). So yes, the S500 with stock pads is probably less mid-centric than the S400.

But others (such as Doc) have both the S400 and S500, and should be able to provide more definitive input.

Oct 19, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #487 of 1,522
I've got these now -- are the HA-S500's less mid-centric? (I am really impressed with this model, but do prefer headphones that are at least somewhat more v-shaped.)

Yea the S500 is definitely has more treble sparkle than the S400 and I would consider it a V shaped phone. As you can see on these threads people have tried lots of different pad options for different levels of balance. The s400 is smoother and slightly soft in the higher end making the mids pop a bit more.

I think from what you are saying you would enjoy the S500 more than the S400.

Oct 19, 2012 at 10:26 PM Post #488 of 1,522
Quote:
Yea the S500 is definitely has more treble sparkle than the S400 and I would consider it a V shaped phone. As you can see on these threads people have tried lots of different pad options for different levels of balance. The s400 is smoother and slightly soft in the higher end making the mids pop a bit more.
I think from what you are saying you would enjoy the S500 more than the S400.

Curious Doc.. how do you think the S500 with ATH pleathers, which I assume make it a bit less v-shaped, compare to the S400 with stock pads (or whatever pads make the S400 sound best)?

Oct 20, 2012 at 1:16 AM Post #489 of 1,522
Curious Doc.. how do you think the S500 with ATH pleathers, which I assume make it a bit less v-shaped, compare to the S400 with stock pads (or whatever pads make the S400 sound best)?

The first thing I posted about the S400 was "not impressed". Then later I played with them and tested different pads and found the AT Pleather pads to give a good sound. I grew to like the warmer sound and softer highs and was a nice change from some of my more sparkly sounding headphones like the S500. But frankly I wouldn't even listen to the S400 with the stock pads on them after just putting them back on to answer this question. Although similar in look to the AT pads, the bass bloats and overpowers the mids and I already said the highs are soft so not a good sound compared to using the AT pads instead IMO.

That being said the S500 with the same pads beats out the S400 in overall sound. They are still V shaped but putting the AT pads on does reduce the bass emphasis thus revealing more mids of the S500 and I simply don't enjoy the S400 without the AT pads at all. . I personally do find the S500 fatiguing after long listening with those pads. Partially why I was using those HD25 pads which bring out the mids even more to my ears (there are other drawbacks with those too).

You pay more for the S500 and for good reason if you want resolution and detail in your music but the S400 is nice for me too cuz I can lay down and konk out listening to music and they are a very relaxing smooth listen in comparison (with the AT pads).

Oct 20, 2012 at 4:08 AM Post #490 of 1,522
The first thing I posted about the S400 was "not impressed". Then later I played with them and tested different pads and found the AT Pleather pads to give a good sound. I grew to like the warmer sound and softer highs and was a nice change from some of my more sparkly sounding headphones like the S500. But frankly I wouldn't even listen to the S400 with the stock pads on them after just putting them back on to answer this question. Although similar in look to the AT pads, the bass bloats and overpowers the mids and I already said the highs are soft so not a good sound compared to using the AT pads instead IMO.
That being said the S500 with the same pads beats out the S400 in overall sound. They are still V shaped but putting the AT pads on does reduce the bass emphasis thus revealing more mids of the S500 and I simply don't enjoy the S400 without the AT pads at all. . I personally do find the S500 fatiguing after long listening with those pads. Partially why I was using those HD25 pads which bring out the mids even more to my ears (there are other drawbacks with those too).
You pay more for the S500 and for good reason if you want resolution and detail in your music but the S400 is nice for me too cuz I can lay down and konk out listening to music and they are a very relaxing smooth listen in comparison (with the AT pads).

Thanks Doc. You came through with excellent info once again (which I am sure will be helpful to others as well). Someday I might snag me a pair of 400's (and ath pleathers) because I think I would also enjoy that relaxed sound now and then. Then again, I can throw on my px100's for that kind of sound when I want. Obviously an addiction is forming lol!

Fyi, I am giving my fx40's a farewell listen before taking them back this weekend (gotta make room for the 70's that are on order). Jeez they sound good though! Makes me kind of sad to say goodbye....

Oct 20, 2012 at 8:20 AM Post #491 of 1,522
Thanks Doc. You came through with excellent info once again (which I am sure will be helpful to others as well). Someday I might snag me a pair of 400's (and ath pleathers) because I think I would also enjoy that relaxed sound now and then. Then again, I can throw on my px100's for that kind of sound when I want. Obviously an addiction is forming lol!
Fyi, I am giving my fx40's a farewell listen before taking them back this weekend (gotta make room for the 70's that are on order). Jeez they sound good though! Makes me kind of sad to say goodbye....

Dont worry wayne, once you you get the 70 you wont miss them. The fx40 is ok and great for the price, but the 70's are on "another league" I loved my fx40 but i have been spoiled with the 80 and 70's. I even like them over the s500.

Oct 20, 2012 at 11:34 AM Post #492 of 1,522
Oct 20, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #494 of 1,522

Users who are viewing this thread

Back