The NEW JVC HA-S400. Affordable Carbon Nanotube cans for the masses.
Dec 28, 2023 at 9:32 PM Post #1,516 of 1,522
For bass I liked more the HyperX Cloud Revolver, I believe mine are the S version, but they are somehow weird, I believe I get a little more of them with the forced amp of my Xonar U3, but I'm not sure, maybe I just need a better dac. The FiiO btr3k amps up to 32ohms I believe and the S are 40ohms if my memory doesnt fails me. I would say the S680 are between the gm200 and the revolver. The level of bass of the Gm200 is almost at the same level of my onkyo fc300, so I don't think they are that bassy, but they are certainly able to performe super bassy if tuned.

Jan 1, 2024 at 3:59 PM Post #1,517 of 1,522
For bass I liked more the HyperX Cloud Revolver, I believe mine are the S version, but they are somehow weird, I believe I get a little more of them with the forced amp of my Xonar U3, but I'm not sure, maybe I just need a better dac. The FiiO btr3k amps up to 32ohms I believe and the S are 40ohms if my memory doesnt fails me. I would say the S680 are between the gm200 and the revolver. The level of bass of the Gm200 is almost at the same level of my onkyo fc300, so I don't think they are that bassy, but they are certainly able to performe super bassy if tuned.

If I'm not mistaken, Cloud Revolver uses a retuned version of the 50mm Pro 80 driver.
The original driver hit very hard (much harder than GM200), but bass texture and decay weren't its strong points...

Make sure you are running BTR3K in high gain, even when using wired - the low gain sound just OK.

Jan 1, 2024 at 5:08 PM Post #1,518 of 1,522
If I'm not mistaken, Cloud Revolver uses a retuned version of the 50mm Pro 80 driver.
The original driver hit very hard (much harder than GM200), but bass texture and decay weren't its strong points...

Make sure you are running BTR3K in high gain, even when using wired - the low gain sound just OK.
How do I set it in high gain ? Through the fiio app ? but that is only for android, right ?

Jan 2, 2024 at 4:10 AM Post #1,519 of 1,522
How do I set it in high gain ? Through the fiio app ? but that is only for android, right ?
The app is available for both Android and iOS.
When I power up BTR3K, it connects to my phone and then I plug it into my laptop. After connecting the headphones, I open the FIIO Control app and set "DAC Work mode" to "High Performance":
1704186397746.png

Sometimes I have to set it to "Low Power" and then back to "High Performance" to really switch to high gain.
I reported this bug here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fii...r3k-updated-in-2023-6-14.928317/post-17650939

After a while you'll be able to recognize when it's in "Low power", since the volume will be lower than expected.

Jan 6, 2024 at 6:52 PM Post #1,520 of 1,522
After a while you'll be able to recognize when it's in "Low power", since the volume will be lower than expected.
I don't notice any difference, even in volume.

What I have notice, is that in phone mode, poweramp somehow test the volume or something like that, because I hear different adjustments of volume, like if it were trying to avoid clipping (which is way too far to having that issue). Even if I increase the "preamp" volume, is hardly noticeable.
In my xiaomi embedded music player I don't hear that adjustment but I feel it is still volume is kinda low.
With my Xonar U3 at 64ohms I just need Windows Volume to be at 15% and it is already pretty loud. Well, I know its 64ohms vs 32 ohms of the headphones. With the fiio I need volume at 40% in Windows, but in phone having it at max (in the phone) I still need fiio to be at 90%, kinda weird.

Jan 7, 2024 at 3:18 PM Post #1,521 of 1,522
I don't notice any difference, even in volume.

What I have notice, is that in phone mode, poweramp somehow test the volume or something like that, because I hear different adjustments of volume, like if it were trying to avoid clipping (which is way too far to having that issue). Even if I increase the "preamp" volume, is hardly noticeable.
In my xiaomi embedded music player I don't hear that adjustment but I feel it is still volume is kinda low.
With my Xonar U3 at 64ohms I just need Windows Volume to be at 15% and it is already pretty loud. Well, I know its 64ohms vs 32 ohms of the headphones. With the fiio I need volume at 40% in Windows, but in phone having it at max (in the phone) I still need fiio to be at 90%, kinda weird.

U3 has output impedance of 23 Ohms, it shouldn't be used with sensitive headphones: https://nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/11/asus-u3-dac.html
And, for driving headphones, the U3 has a high output impedance around 23 ohms. That means the U3 is only suited for headphones around 200 ohms or higher.

Are you using BTR3K wired or over Bluetooth with your smartphone? It shouldn't be at 90% (with smartphone volume at 100%) for Pro 82.
I always use it over Bluetooth, only use wired mode with the laptop.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2024 at 3:52 PM Post #1,522 of 1,522
U3 has output impedance of 23 Ohms, it shouldn't be used with sensitive headphones: https://nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/11/asus-u3-dac.html

Are you using BTR3K wired or over Bluetooth with your smartphone? It shouldn't be at 90% (with smartphone volume at 100%) for Pro 82.
I always use it over Bluetooth, only use wired mode with the laptop.
U3 has a headphone mode, which let you select for 16ohms headphones, 32 and 64 ohms headphones. Of course, most of the time the amp only be notice as an increase of volume unless the headphone has high resistance, like my old philips citiscape uptown.

Of course 64ohms may seem overpowered for the 32ohms of the has400, but I don't like using 100% of windows volume because so many things can go wrong

Im using the fiio over BT with my phone, ldac codec, but with the has400 (I havent used much my gm200).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back