The NEW JVC HA-S400. Affordable Carbon Nanotube cans for the masses.
Oct 21, 2012 at 12:52 AM Post #496 of 1,522
Quote:
Dont worry wayne, once you you get the 70 you wont miss them. The fx40 is ok and great for the price, but the 70's are on "another league" I loved my fx40 but i have been spoiled with the 80 and 70's. I even like them over the s500.

Quote:
Blasphemy I say!

Sorry to say it WAYNE but it is true, I haven't touched my FX40s in a longgggggg minute, and I don't miss them much haha. The revealing nature of them plus the harshness/ sibilance makes them a not so great IEM for listening to all genres/ different quality of recordings. I am still burning them to hell to fix these issues so I hope this will really do the trick but I am not holding my breath either. 

If only these FX40s were more refined on the aspects mentioned above, I would have NO reason whatsoever to get my S500s or my FXD70s. Oh man I would have been so content with them BUT............. you know the story by now haha   
beerchug.gif

Oct 22, 2012 at 9:29 AM Post #498 of 1,522
Quote:

Sorry to say it WAYNE but it is true, I haven't touched my FX40s in a longgggggg minute, and I don't miss them much haha. The revealing nature of them plus the harshness/ sibilance makes them a not so great IEM for listening to all genres/ different quality of recordings. I am still burning them to hell to fix these issues so I hope this will really do the trick but I am not holding my breath either. 

If only these FX40s were more refined on the aspects mentioned above, I would have NO reason whatsoever to get my S500s or my FXD70s. Oh man I would have been so content with them BUT............. you know the story by now haha   
beerchug.gif

What Fx40???   are you guys kidding me?   FXD70 <--  Bliss 
wink_face.gif

Oct 22, 2012 at 4:38 PM Post #499 of 1,522
So,  my coworkers S400's just arrived,  8 in total... 3 in the pictures.

Only had a chance to very brief listening, not bad , i need more time to have a better idea.  But you know its good stuff looking how they smile while listening to their music.

Oct 22, 2012 at 6:14 PM Post #502 of 1,522
Nice clear defined sound,  not as big and huge as the S500, but still very nice and smooth. The highs are more "rolled off" (i think thats the technical terminology)  but very nice, you can use them all they without any fatigue, but they dont have that BIG WOW ON YOUR FACE S500 sound.

At this price range, WAY better than the HTF600, that sounds more muffled and boxy,dont have the same sparcle, definition, clarity and liveness of the S400.  its a big improvement over the Panas in every aspect, mids much foward, liking the bass even if it doesnt go as low as the S500, and the sparcle of this things. definitive a more "balanced" sound.   That may be good or bad , depending on what you want from a headphone.

More impresions later as they only got like 1 hour of use.

Oct 22, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #503 of 1,522
Quote:
So,  my coworkers S400's just arrived,  8 in total... 3 in the pictures.

Only had a chance to very brief listening, not bad , i need more time to have a better idea.  But you know its good stuff looking how they smile while listening to their music.

Now I know why amazon is sold out of the black ones.

Oct 23, 2012 at 9:25 AM Post #505 of 1,522
Quote:
madly curious: WHY 8?

They are not mine just to clear that up, they are for coworkers.  They liked how the S500 sounded, and from the reviews and opinions on these thread the S400 had almost the same sound and for less than $30 bucks it was like "man, thats cheap for a good sounding HP , i want one!"

So they all ordered their HP,  remember, whe dont live in the USA, so they ordered them all at the same time to save money on shipping and costums.

Paid 40 bucks total for shipping and costums for all 8, not bad at all, thats $30 for HP + $5 Dollars.  Seems like these week whe are ordering 6 more.

Oct 23, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #507 of 1,522
The office is looking like a Nazy Army... all blacks!

Oct 23, 2012 at 7:10 PM Post #508 of 1,522
I got the AKG K18 pads for these today.....are they supposed to bump the bass up dramatically, because that is what I am hearing!

Oct 23, 2012 at 7:23 PM Post #509 of 1,522
I got the AKG K18 pads for these today.....are they supposed to bump the bass up dramatically, because that is what I am hearing!

Cute what did you think of those AT pleathers that you discovered for the S500? I found them very complimentary to the S400.

Oct 23, 2012 at 8:03 PM Post #510 of 1,522
Quote:
Cute what did you think of those AT pleathers that you discovered for the S500? I found them very complimentary to the S400.

I'm listening to the S400 right now with the AKG pads and a pair of circuaural pads over them!  Had to EQ the bass up at 31hz, 60hz and 125hz by a few db's, but the bass gets more detailed and the mids very good......best I have heard yet with the S400!  I used the AT leathers this same way, with rolled paper towels.....like that two!  Just amazing how the pad rolling changes the sound, but really hard to A/B the changes because it takes a few minutes!  I like the S400 for vocals male and female, depending on who......then I go back to the S500, and I am amazed all over again.....like the AT leathers best on the S500, and the overpads work these as well, but the low end needs to be EQ'd up with them about 6db!  All of this requires my jRiver MC 16 to be preamp adjusted to prevent clipping....my Rockbox Fuze can be preamp adjusted too.  The clipping can really distort with any EQ settings, especially when bumping up the bass with EQ....YMMV, but it amazing fun, pad rolling!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back