The NEW JVC HA-S400. Affordable Carbon Nanotube cans for the masses.
Oct 15, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #451 of 1,522
Quote:
yea, thats how they sounded with to many paper.  i am not hearing no "hall" efect whatsoever with not so much  paper.
Listening to The Police Greatest Hit Cd with some paper on, man.. beatiful
biggrin.gif

My rolled paper towel was maybe 1/4 inch thick, so not excessive. Maybe "hall effect" is a bit strong, but I did find it to make the S500 (stock pads) sound kind of distant. All I'm trying to do is to pull out the mids a bit more without losing anything else. When I pull the drivers just slightly away from my ears, I think that I am getting the effect that I'm looking for, which is why I tried the paper towel trick. Maybe I'll try it with a bit less paper towel.

Oct 15, 2012 at 7:59 PM Post #453 of 1,522
It works for me with the S400 and my full size ATH-W1000X.......better mids, clarity, detail, and a huge improvement in the soundstage, much bigger effect!

Oct 15, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #454 of 1,522
Quote:
It works for me with the S400 and my full size ATH-W1000X.......better mids, clarity, detail, and a huge improvement in the soundstage, much bigger effect!

Are you using your S400 with just stock pads cute? Cuz I did some stuffing and the sound didn't go where I wanted it to. So for now my S400 with stock pads sounds better without stuffing. :frowning2:

Oct 15, 2012 at 9:19 PM Post #457 of 1,522
maybe I overstuffed but just seemed to me the towel absorbed too much of the already slightly scant amounts of detail in the highs (compared to the S500) and also sucked up all the bass.

think im just going to apply the old "if it ain't broke......" adage to this one guys. But at least I checked it out :)

Oct 15, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #458 of 1,522
Quote:
Are you using your S400 with just stock pads cute? Cuz I did some stuffing and the sound didn't go where I wanted it to. So for now my S400 with stock pads sounds better without stuffing. :frowning2:

..that's what I determined as well sf...it just didn't sound right/better as far as the overall presentation...I will admit that the only thing that had somewhat of an improvement was soundstage but that seems to be the constant in doing this mod...hey nothing ventured, nothing lost...thanks for the tip!...

Oct 16, 2012 at 1:49 AM Post #459 of 1,522
Quote:
maybe I overstuffed but just seemed to me the towel absorbed too much of the already slightly scant amounts of detail in the highs (compared to the S500) and also sucked up all the bass.
think im just going to apply the old "if it ain't broke......" adage to this one guys. But at least I checked it out
smily_headphones1.gif

......... good job doc!!!

Yeah we doin' wayyyy to much, stop it you'll. 

Quote:
..that's what I determined as well sf...it just didn't sound right/better as far as the overall presentation...I will admit that the only thing that had somewhat of an improvement was soundstage but that seems to be the constant in doing this mod...hey nothing ventured, nothing lost...thanks for the tip!...

yeppp, but at least now we are aware/ learned another simple mod for future headphones. Props to you brave souls that attempted this heart wrenching experiment. Good job you'll, oh and thanks RPGWiz and maxxx for giving us a heads up on this mod, worked beautifully with my AKG pads, but just not with my stock S400 ones. 
beerchug.gif

Oct 16, 2012 at 3:01 AM Post #460 of 1,522
I officially hate the S400.....listening to them again! Maybe I just don't know or remember what "good" sound is but I am content with these $25 headphones while I have hundreds and hundreds of dollars worth sitting on the desk over across the room collecting dust.... hopefully this infatuation wears off soon, my other more expensive babies are getting jealous.

BTW added the S500 headband pads on top of the existing S400 pads. Nice comfy fit now.

Oct 16, 2012 at 5:46 AM Post #461 of 1,522
Quote:
...I agree Doc...got just about 50 hours on these little dandies and I heard SFW talking about this...I said I wouldn't go there as far as replacement pads and would stay the purist with the stock pads...so I tried it with the stock pads(don't know about Bounty but used napkins) but I got some of the same effect you are speaking about Doc...I lost too much of what I love about these in stock form...I love these as is and I am hoping they continue to get better with break in...I just can't seem to pound these as much as I should be because I like wearing and listening to these too darn much...keep the impressions coming though as I would like to hear from whoever has the most time on these and how they have changed...here's to the stock JVC HA-S400's
beerchug.gif
...they are indeed very very impressive aside of their ridiculously low price point...love em!!
L3000.gif

Hope I qualify, I've got closed to 600hrs+ on them.
tongue.gif

I've noticed that they're typical S400 sq for the first 20 or 30 minutes but after that, they seems to 'warmed up' and the sq improves everywhere, smoother, tighter and cleaner comes to mind, replayed the first song and I could have swear it's a different track from what I heard earlier. 
This could be what they call brain burn but the funny thing is that I'm not getting this effect from my S500, other headphones or IEMs.

Quote:
I officially hate the S400.....listening to them again! Maybe I just don't know or remember what "good" sound is but I am content with these $25 headphones while I have hundreds and hundreds of dollars worth sitting on the desk over across the room collecting dust.... hopefully this infatuation wears off soon, my other more expensive babies are getting jealous.
BTW added the S500 headband pads on top of the existing S400 pads. Nice comfy fit now.

Me too !   ...manz, do I hate these S400, with their 'torture chamber' stock pads, I've wasted hours and hours of me life listening to reruns of old musical tracks sitting on the sofa in a zombified state !  ....hours and hours I could have gone and done some other useful things with !

Oct 16, 2012 at 3:21 PM Post #462 of 1,522
Hey dudes! Bounty is too absorbant! Lol I used plain square paper napkins rolled up long ways, And then squished it hard into corner, I am pretty satisfied on these stock pads, it can only get better with replacements. I remember another poster said the right thing when he elaborated about everyone's ear being different so we all need different amounts of paper/pad/foam/cotton etc. modding ha :)
I found lower miss still pronounced slightly so I just touched my EQ and now they sounding pretty amazing.

Oct 16, 2012 at 8:53 PM Post #464 of 1,522
Oct 16, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #465 of 1,522
The funny thing is my house currently has 2 S500's, and a S400 that are lying around, so that comparison can still be done for you!  I'll do some A/Bing for you in a bit, but from what I remember from A/Bing couple days ago just confirm what other people have been saying.  The S500 has a more details, sounds a bit livelier and the bass is more textured with greater body; in general the S500s suits my sound preferences more and I couldn't justify having such a similar headphone.  With all this said, my S500's have had about~60 hours of burn in and have HD25 pleather pads in them and the S400's were out of the box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back