The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Jun 30, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #6,272 of 9,165
Major damage to my wallet as the AK 100S with the Australian to US exchange rate has cost me $1400!

Bread and jam for the next few weeks!

oh gosh, some guys have all the luck, you know not many HeadFiers can afford jam nowadays :-D

Jun 30, 2013 at 4:31 PM Post #6,274 of 9,165
Toads, come on ... pls this sunday evening ... Summerrrrr Tiiiiime..., Bolton sings this so emotionally beautiful :)

Jun 30, 2013 at 4:36 PM Post #6,275 of 9,165
it could be more beautiful if your battery was gold and you were facing due magnetic north... 
wink.gif

Jun 30, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #6,276 of 9,165
Quote:
Major damage to my wallet as the AK 100S with the Australian to US exchange rate has cost me $1400!

Bread and jam for the next few weeks!

Did you buy it new from Vinnie?  I'm debating that idea, considering any AK100 warranty is voided when it comes within 500 yards Red Wine Audio.....
biggrin.gif

I think it would be nice to shake it out for a month before sending it out for the mod...

Jun 30, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #6,277 of 9,165
it could be more beautiful if your battery was gold and you were facing due magnetic north... 
wink.gif

bwahaha ... man oh man, what a metaphor, you feel poethic, do not you?

Jun 30, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #6,279 of 9,165
Sorry double post yes brand new from Vinnie and it gets expensive when you consider post etc to Australia plus waiting time

As for warranty I will take my chance and it can always go back to Vinnie in any case

The good is this is a great site, the bad sometimes is the cost and it only gets ugly if the wife sees my credit card!

Jun 30, 2013 at 6:29 PM Post #6,280 of 9,165
Quote:
Sorry double post yes brand new from Vinnie and it gets expensive when you consider post etc to Australia plus waiting time

As for warranty I will take my chance and it can always go back to Vinnie in any case

The good is this is a great site, the bad sometimes is the cost and it only gets ugly if the wife sees my credit card!

Oh, I have no doubt Vinnie will stand behind his work.  And most likely longer then he needs to.  Its the other parts of the DAP I'm concerned about.  Iriver won't do a thing if a RWA modded device has an issue...

Jun 30, 2013 at 7:00 PM Post #6,281 of 9,165
that sucks chaps, so low? :evil: :wink_face:

after listen with Listrid 2.0 i compared now this with Beta 2.0 and i am thorn apart.

for what is worth here are my findings:

Listrid 2.0 - makes more punch, tightens sub bass and bass, adds bit euphoric signature, more presence in music, guitar riffs pop at you, stage moves closer to you and musical transients become more colorful. minuses - adds bit digital artifacts especially in treble, small drop in stage as instruments move closer to each other, overly aggressive micro detailing.

Beta 2.0 - smoother, refine, trebles silky smooth, black space is indeed black and instruments are well placed, stage widens and deepens, bit more laid back and easier flowing. minuses - bass loses body and punch, less separation between mid bass and bass transients, subtle drop in dynamic.

So it all depends IF and WHAT you prefer. 

For myself I went back to Beta 2.0 which has better synergy for me and i do not tolerate even a slightest smallest sign of digital shade (which is not anything bad with Listrid 2.0) even IF this means punchier meatier low and mid bass... so that's me.

It was REALLY DIFFICULT to decide which one :frowning2:

PS: do not beat me, i am only the piano player :-D

Thank you Gavin for your help to get my Listrid fw 2.00

I like fw listrid 2.00 for my AK 100 and very happy with Listrid fw 2.00
In term of clarity , clear mid and better bass impact .

The new fw 2.01 is smooth in high , but I don't like the bass to soft and a bit boomy to my taste

Note :
I want share my experience with fw download ;

From 1.33 I download first the Iriver fw 2.01
On fw 2.01 has the BOOST function can increase the power + 3dB

After the fw 2.01 installed , I download Listrid fw 2.00 and installed

The different in UI with Listrid fw 2.00 :
On the screen remain fw 2.01 with newer wallpaper background than fw 1.33

But the important think :
Has PRO EQ function like AK 120
The BOOST function is no more

Booth fw has gapless function

IMO

Jun 30, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #6,282 of 9,165
Quote:
This is exactly what I mean. Now we find out that the unit was used and bought from a second hand owner. Now, in most countries, second hand means no warranty but this unit was not even second hand, it is third hand. So the unit was purchased by someone, given to another person as a gift (supposedly) and then sold to a third person. But kimvictor in his posts implied that he bought a new unit for $450USD (which would come with a warranty) but this is not the case. So if people are going to brag about the low price they paid, it is important to have full details. I do not see how knowing about this purchase would help someone else on the forum obtain one at the same price. Plus when a unit is purchased in Japan, how can it have any warranty in the US or Canada if sold to someone in these countries?
Thanks for reading.
Gramophone

Well, it was still new. Sealed and never opened box, and does have warranty, so it is still a good deal. Also, iRiver does cover internationally...

Jun 30, 2013 at 9:21 PM Post #6,283 of 9,165
Quote:

Oh, I have no doubt Vinnie will stand behind his work.  And most likely longer then he needs to.  Its the other parts of the DAP I'm concerned about.  Iriver won't do a thing if a RWA modded device has an issue...

All,

Yes, I will stand by my modification work for as long as you own it.  In the case of the RWAK100-S, that includes the dac chip as well.

As for the other parts of the player, I can easily help with battery battery replacement when the time comes.  I have a few spare units for parts as well (e.g. LCD,
jacks, volume wheel that probably will never break enough though some fear that it will, etc.) - so no worries.

Cheers!

Vinnie

Jun 30, 2013 at 9:31 PM Post #6,284 of 9,165
Quote:
Hi Vinnie,
I refer to external coating material of ak100 that they used to make the color to black gold silver to the whole circuit not the battery.
I am not the one who start telling them the different but sound different of gold and black had been report from headfier experience in the link below.

I update my post above with open black and gold to show them the battery is the same from gold and black by open it and swap battery to the gold unit.

Let do not try to offense their hearing and I just try to find the reason and let them know that it is not because the battery. Please try to hear by yourself.

In the audio world every little thing impact to the sound
Phanom

Hi Phanom,

The external coating material is just an anodize.  All 3 version are anodized aluminum.  The only difference is the color of the dye they use in the anodization process.

If anyone can hear the difference based on the color of the dye, they must have extraordinary hearing.  Hopefully they weren't offended by my comments.  

PS: Thanks for updating your post with your experience swapping the batteries.  

Best regards,

Vinnie

Jun 30, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #6,285 of 9,165
Quote:

All,

Yes, I will stand by my modification work for as long as you own it.  In the case of the RWAK100-S, that includes the dac chip as well.

As for the other parts of the player, I can easily help with battery battery replacement when the time comes.  I have a few spare units for parts as well (e.g. LCD,
jacks, volume wheel that probably will never break enough though some fear that it will, etc.) - so no worries.

Cheers!

Vinnie

It's great to be assured that if a modded AK100 will still be repairable. Now, it's just saving for the mod!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back