The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
May 26, 2013 at 8:26 AM Post #5,236 of 9,165
Quote:
Thanks for taking time to get impressions of the different DAPs. I want to suggest getting SoundMeter for your iPhone, as well as a Pink Noise file and level-matching devices when comparing if possible. I caught myself out a couple of times thinking gain levels sounded different when it was only the volume that was different. 
smile.gif

Thanks for that, I hope my imperfect impressions are adequate enough.

Which is a good soundmeter app? Soundmeter app? ooh looks expensive for a common head-fi pleb like myself. 
size]

Any decent free ones.

Pink noise matching eh? I will look into that.

Thanks.

May 26, 2013 at 8:33 AM Post #5,237 of 9,165
ok, found the 1.33FW file from the other site. still SHAME on Iriver 
mad.gif

May 26, 2013 at 9:31 AM Post #5,238 of 9,165
Quote:
By the way, a big thank you to Fujiya for letting us sit there for almost 2 hrs demoing their gear almost without buying anything.

Oh, how I envy your access to shops like these.  I wish I had one, within a 3 or 4 hour drive of me......

May 26, 2013 at 10:13 AM Post #5,239 of 9,165
Quote:

Depends on what you're after. If you're looking for a compromise of size, battery life, fast GUI, & SQ then yep sure between the HM-901 and AK120, then sure the AK120 would live up to its value 'cos it's great for daily use.

However if SQ is the sole priority and one is willing to put up with the issues of the HM-901, OS crashes, slow boot up, or somewhat clunky GUI, (note, except for the OS crashes, most of the other points are just a user learning curve), then the HM-901 would be my preferred DAP.

The same goes for my RWAK100 and DX100. The DX100 does have the more satisfying SQ however when I commute to work and home, the RWAK100 is the one that gets slipped into the pocket.

Thanks! This is very well summarized~ Almost the same as how I find 901,dx100 and ak120.

Ak120. Best UI, smallest size, good battery life, largest storage, very decent sound for daily use.
901. Slightly better ak120 type of sound but with way too many issues.
Dx100. Most neutral sound within the 3, UI is getting better but still not good enough. And huge~

May 26, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #5,240 of 9,165
Quote:
Thanks! This is very well summarized~ Almost the same as how I find 901,dx100 and ak120.

Ak120. Best UI, smallest size, good battery life, largest storage, very decent sound for daily use.
901. Slightly better ak120 type of sound but with way too many issues.
Dx100. Most neutral sound within the 3, UI is getting better but still not good enough. And huge~

Same for me... and probably true for those of us who fell for ak120!  Though I won't say 901 as "ak120 type of sound", I hear it as somewhere midway between 901 and dx100 in terms of sound signature

May 26, 2013 at 11:03 AM Post #5,241 of 9,165
Quote:
Same for me... and probably true for those of us who fell for ak120!  Though I won't say 901 as "ak120 type of sound", I hear it as somewhere midway between 901 and dx100 in terms of sound signature

901 + balanced card is very extended on both ends and has more bass and treble energy than ak120. So in terms of brightness, I wouldn't call it sit in the midway. Although 901 (+balanced amp) has more focus on mid, it still doesn't give up much on highs. So I would still say dx100 and 901 sounds similar in sound signature since 9018 has strong characteristic sound IMO. AK120 has its own sound, but similar treble presentation as 901 which is why I said 901 is "ak120 type of sound". In fact, 901 has warmer type of dx100 sounding
wink.gif

May 26, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #5,243 of 9,165
Quote:
mirror: http://yadi.sk/d/Ah0SzEPq59CzV
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BK3vkJ2CYAA4GrK.jpg

There we go. Link to the Russian firmware :)

May 26, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #5,245 of 9,165
May 26, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #5,248 of 9,165
BIG problem with the Rusian Firmware :  When I connect to the MAC the AK100 to upload some more files, the AK100 do not mount anymore as a drive: it stay with the message "Connecting USB - Do not disconnect"... and It's Frozen: can't turn it OFF anymore !! Fritening !  Hope this Rusian AK100 is not sending a virus in my Mac .....:  

Any one experimented this ? 

PS: I Was under 1.3, NOT 1.33 when I installed the Russian Firmware.  I don't know if this make a change.

Anyway.... HELP.... now how do I get out of this ? I can't turn if off, even twith a loooong press on the power button .... still the message "Connecting USB - Do not disconnect"...

May 26, 2013 at 4:45 PM Post #5,249 of 9,165
Ok, I got the Rwak100 on Thursday (Thanks Vinnie) & have to say this is an awesome Dap. (Just a quick note, this is my 1st highend player so i have no experience with others) I upgraded from a Cowon J3 & you just can't compare. The J3 just sounds lifeless compared to this. I did have UI issues (autoscan is a PITA) but after upgrading to the Russian UI it totally solves the issue. Much easier to navigate now too. Sound signature is a bit different though. It sounds warmer with more atmosphere but loses a slight amount of detail. I can't say which is better since they both have their strengths & weaknesses. Overall a fun DAP.

One thing though, I have the headstage arrow 3g with a Chris Himself IC & after trying this for a few hours, I gotta say stock is better. More detail is brought in but the black background is lost. Also it was less engaging to stock.

May 26, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #5,250 of 9,165
Quote:
BIG problem with the Rusian Firmware :  When I connect to the MAC the AK100 to upload some more files, the AK100 do not mount anymore as a drive: it stay with the message "Connecting USB - Do not disconnect"... and It's Frozen: can't turn it OFF anymore !! Fritening !  Hope this Rusian AK100 is not sending a virus in my Mac .....:  

Any one experimented this ? 

PS: I Was under 1.3, NOT 1.33 when I installed the Russian Firmware.  I don't know if this make a change.

Anyway.... HELP.... now how do I get out of this ? I can't turn if off, even twith a loooong press on the power button .... still the message "Connecting USB - Do not disconnect"...

Can you eject it in the finder?  Or can you restart the Mac which should auto eject the AK100?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back