The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
May 26, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #5,266 of 9,165
Quote:
Quote:
You can check if the disk is still present by using the Disk Utility in Application/Utilities/ even if it doesn't mount.

It's GONE! 
blink.gif

May 26, 2013 at 11:28 PM Post #5,267 of 9,165
Hmm. Does the unit show up in disk manager in windows? Isn't there a bluetooth feature on the AK100? Would that allow for transferring the firmware onto the internal memory?

May 26, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #5,268 of 9,165
Quote:
All,

I just finished doing a quick test between a STOCK AK100 with 1.33 and STOCK AK100 with the Russian SW.  Using a 16/44.1 WAV file of a 1kHz test tone (0dBm), setting the volume to max (75), EQ OFF, and measuring the RMS voltage at the output jack with NO load connected, I get:

STOCK AK100 with 1.33 = 1.02 Vrms

STOCK AK100 with the Russian SW = 1.52 Vrms.

So we are looking at a approx. 3.5dB difference output between the two.... which can definitely be heard.  

I know that the "de-emphasis mode ON" takes away around 3dB of signal in the dac before the d/a conversion takes place - so it is possible that whoever came out with this patch also turned OFF de-emphasis in the software (as the WM8740 dac in the AK100 is ran in "software mode" - not "hardware mode"). 

I have a prototype modded RWAK100 with a WM8741 dac (dac configured in hardware mode and using a 'minimal phase' digital filter setting that has been hardware configured for the dac.  Digital volume control
is completely bypassed from the chain - so no digital attenuation used for the data.  When I measure the output voltage of the same file above (in the same configuration) with SW 1.33, I get 1.8Vrms.  When I load the Russian SW, I still get 1.8Vrms.... so running in HW mode and completely bypassing the digital volume control is proven to give true MAX line-out capability (I believe the 0.2Vrms difference to the datasheet's 2Vrms is because I was still using the headphone output stage, which will be bypassed.  The headphone output stage is a voltage follower and topology and seems to drop about 0.2Vrms, but provides the current required to drive headphones).  

That's it for now...  I hope this helps,

Vinnie

Vinnie

Very informative and thank you very much for the clarification!!!

May 26, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #5,269 of 9,165
Vinnie 

Now I am really interested on what you can do with a AK120 as my other one is coming in beginning of June!!

Please PM me?

Thanks!

May 26, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #5,270 of 9,165
Quote:

It's GONE! 
blink.gif

Wow that sucks :frowning2:. This kinda reminds me of the nightmare I had with the Hifiman 601 and the early Russian firmware that I installed on it. I had to open the unit up and bridge the pins (on a particular chip) to get it to detect and install the driver to allow it to show up on the PC. Then I had to load the original firmware. Rockbox was a very nice feature but not worth that hassle....

May 26, 2013 at 11:52 PM Post #5,271 of 9,165
I have reverted back to the stock 1.33 FW for my amped AK100 as I find the signal more vibrant. Since I am only using this stack for FitEar (C)IEMs it sounds best for me...

However, the standalone AK100 is staying on the Russian FW...loving the rich overtones/ lush mids that it has over the stock FW, and of course the AK120's UI and all the associated benefits
size]

May 27, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #5,272 of 9,165
Quote:

It's GONE! 
blink.gif

I dont know about these things.

But I will have a stab in the dark, what If you were to put 1.33 on an SD card (via an sd card reader to computer), then put that card back into the problem AK100? Maybe it may override the russian firmware and fix it?

*With all the right partitions/folder set etc, perhaps copied from a working AK100 etc.

May 27, 2013 at 12:31 AM Post #5,273 of 9,165
Quote:
I dont know about these things.

But I will have a stab in the dark, what If you were to put 1.33 on an SD card (via an sd card reader to computer), then put that card back into the problem AK100? Maybe it may override the russian firmware and fix it?

*With all the right partitions/folder set etc, perhaps copied from a working AK100 etc.

I have my doubts. This wasn't possible on the DX100 either. I had to put the file directly onto the root menu of the internal memory. Now if you are somehow able to transfer the firmware over from the external card onto the root menu of the internal memory then that is a possibility. I think the DX100 had this ability though via android.

May 27, 2013 at 2:13 AM Post #5,276 of 9,165
I'm late to the party but I had a quick question I was hoping to get answered. I hear you guys say a majority of (C)IEMs have issues with this DAP, so which ones are highly regarded with it? I'm open to either CIEMs or IEMs. Thanks guys!

May 27, 2013 at 3:44 AM Post #5,277 of 9,165
Quote:
I'm late to the party but I had a quick question I was hoping to get answered. I hear you guys say a majority of (C)IEMs have issues with this DAP, so which ones are highly regarded with it? I'm open to either CIEMs or IEMs. Thanks guys!

Tralucent 1+2 is most widely accepted pair I think. They all love it. I heard Spiral Ear SE 5 Way is good too but since you are in the States, no good for you.

May 27, 2013 at 3:46 AM Post #5,278 of 9,165
Thank you all for the help you are trying to provide With my problem. ( rusian firmware installed onto 1.30).

I need to spécify that my unit is NOT Frozen or bricked: reset works and I can use it then again to play the music that is still inside but... Still i can't access the internal drive by USB to add music or ...  to install 1.33 !

- Any  super smart idea ?

- I see à " format " butom in front of the " internal drive" in " advance/ infos "... Should I use it ?? Will it change thé firmware version ? If not then it Will be useless ... And i Will havé no files at all to play

May 27, 2013 at 3:52 AM Post #5,279 of 9,165
Quote:
Thank you all for the help you are trying to provide With my problem. ( rusian firmware installed onto 1.30).

I need to spécify that my unit is NOT Frozen or bricked: reset works and I can use it then again to play the music that is still inside but... Still i can't access the internal drive by USB to add music or ...  to install 1.33 !

- Any  super smart idea ?

try use Windows for connecting, find and install old 1.30 FW and then upgrade to 1.33 and later to RusMod.
alternatively try install and use Iriver software to access and update your AK100.

i can only imagine how bad you feel about this, but do not be discouraged. Vinnie might also come later with some solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back