The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
May 25, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #5,191 of 9,165
Quote:
AK100 not turning on.....

I'm really struggling with this at the moment...my AK100 will not turn on unless I have it connected to the mains power......*** what's going on.......

I am at the end of my wick with this at the moment

Jason, you probably already know this but you need to hold the power button for a few seconds to turn the device on. It isn't just a quick press

May 25, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #5,192 of 9,165
I'm sure iRiver knows that the AK120 firmware works on the AK100. I would question it deeply if they ever state they didn't. It's very likely that the firmware update was withheld in order to push the AK120 upon release. It's a money grab and I know lots of guys in sales that would have done the exact same thing. But, you can only come away unscathed if nobody figures it out. Obviously that's not the case here.

I believe iRiver needs to do some damage control and show us that they do indeed have some ethics and do care about their existing customers in order to keep them interested in the company and continue to purchase their products. I for one will take into account any kind of (non)response into consideration when making purchasing decisions in the future.

May 25, 2013 at 10:38 PM Post #5,193 of 9,165
We need an AK140 with 8 DACs in dual-differential mode and a $3k price tag. Nobody but the handful of the craziest people here will buy it, but it will make the AK120 look like good value in comparison, so we can say "I think the AK120 is good enough for my needs" and buy it without feeling too guilty. 
wink.gif

May 25, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #5,194 of 9,165
Quote:
We need an AK140 with 8 DACs in dual-differential mode and a $3k price tag. Nobody but the handful of the craziest people here will buy it, but it will make the AK120 look like good value in comparison, so we can say "I think the AK120 is good enough for my needs" and buy it without feeling too guilty. 
wink.gif

And there you will have the development of a price bubble in the head-fi industry.

May 25, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #5,195 of 9,165
Quote:

And there you will have the development of a price bubble in the head-fi industry.

i thought we ALREADY had the bubble for some time.... i still remember people thought I was paying crazy money for the ER4!!  

May 25, 2013 at 10:57 PM Post #5,196 of 9,165
We need an AK140 with 8 DACs in dual-differential mode and a $3k price tag. Nobody but the handful of the craziest people here will buy it, but it will make the AK120 look like good value in comparison, so we can say "I think the AK120 is good enough for my needs" and buy it without feeling too guilty. :wink:

:)

Not crazy but will surely buy something like that........

May 25, 2013 at 11:09 PM Post #5,198 of 9,165
I spent the whole yesterday evening and a part of the night listening to AK100 with the Russian patch. I don’t have any measuring equipment, so I’ll be waiting for Vinnie’s (RWA) post when he tries this out.
I listened the “AK110” with SE535ltd-j (no external amp), and I would assume the sound has changed. And I think it has changed for the better: deeper bass, midbass,  all in all better dynamics. I really doubt that was a placebo effect%)))
And of course, I love the faster and more user friendly interface.
The DAP froze up only once – when I tried accessing my playlists playing a 24/192 file, but then it worked with no issues. Still no idea about the accuracy of the battery meter though – I charged the unit fully this morning. It’s like a totally new DAP, imho.
I read on some Russian forum that the guy who developed this patch is currently working on adding exFat support to this firmware (not to use Fat32-formatted cards). He has almost finished that, but now he would like to see the “official” Iriver’s reaction. The people on that forum read this tread, looks like everyone is happy that Head-fiers like “the Russian patch”.
I’m like a noob, all I know the author of the patch used a Linux-based computer. And he was really helpful to the others, they reported him some bugs from the previous versions of the patch, he fixed them really fast and let everyone download and use it.
All in all I think I would stick to AK100 with this firmware, as I like the sound. Even if the UI was not so smooth I wouldn’t change my mind.
[size=12.0pt]I’d really like to read about a direct comparison of AK120 and AK100 with this patch. I have no doubt that Ak120 would sound better, but how much better though?[/size]

May 26, 2013 at 1:26 AM Post #5,199 of 9,165
+1
Please upgrade the patch and provide another comparison on the same firmware between ak120 ak100 and other ak100 mods so we can focus on the result of hardware change of 2 DAC and decide we should pay for it on not. The output impedance, extra memory and other features can be top up on the existing ak100.

May 26, 2013 at 2:08 AM Post #5,200 of 9,165
So I downloaded the Russian patch for my RWAK100 but for some reason my songs are not showing up in songs, albums, artists, genres and mqs folders. I can only access them through folders. Anyone else having this issue?

May 26, 2013 at 2:24 AM Post #5,203 of 9,165
Quote:
Pretty sure I'm on 1.33 as that's what it says when I turn it on.

well it could be caused by either "Scan Library" issue or tagging issue.

but before i update to the Russian Firmware Mod, my AK100 was v1.33.

May 26, 2013 at 2:27 AM Post #5,204 of 9,165
Just scan library it should solved

May 26, 2013 at 2:29 AM Post #5,205 of 9,165
Hmm, very weird. Everything else works perfect, just this. I also took my sd cards out & put them back in to see if my rwak100 will rescan my library but no dice either. As a matter of fact it just reads the cards without scanning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back