The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Apr 30, 2013 at 7:47 AM Post #4,592 of 9,165
Quote:
Mine is not only the number one but the regular one too. 

Do you have you tracks names like this 01 Yada yada or 1. Yada yada or even 1 Yada yada. I've had issues with many players not showing stuff in order if not using the 01, 02, 03, 04 numbering scheme. That is for both directly on the track name itself and the track numbering as well.

Apr 30, 2013 at 7:51 AM Post #4,593 of 9,165
Quote:
Do you have you tracks names like this 01 Yada yada or 1. Yada yada or even 1 Yada yada. I've had issues with many players not showing stuff in order if not using the 01, 02, 03, 04 numbering scheme. That is for both directly on the track name itself and the track numbering as well.

+1

Apr 30, 2013 at 8:10 AM Post #4,594 of 9,165
Quote:

i normally avoid track on track title, the file name contains only the track name nothing else. Does the firmware reads the tags or the file name for arranging the files? I know for my Rocoo BA i had to make sure the tracks had track name present like this 01- Yada yada. It did not accept dots.  

Apr 30, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #4,596 of 9,165
Is this Yada Yada song any good ?

Apr 30, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #4,597 of 9,165
Quote:
can someone confirm that upgrading from 1.30 to 1.33 firmware has impact on sound quality? i saw here one person reporting sound quality issues after the upgrade. is this psychological impact or real?

I did not not notice any change in sound quality. The fix to microSD card performance more than makes the 1.33 firmware update a good thing to do.

Apr 30, 2013 at 1:41 PM Post #4,598 of 9,165
Quote:
i normally avoid track on track title, the file name contains only the track name nothing else. Does the firmware reads the tags or the file name for arranging the files? I know for my Rocoo BA i had to make sure the tracks had track name present like this 01- Yada yada. It did not accept dots.  

It maybe. I don't know you can try test it out on one album and easily do the changes on mp3tag. I apply the same concept to all my tracks and don't have issues on my Studio V nor on the DX100 when I had it. Others had the same issues on the DX100 when not following that naming scheme.

Apr 30, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #4,599 of 9,165
Ok I was following this thread when it was mostly positive, but not it looks like a lot of issues.

I was between the AK100 and the Tera player, and I just bought the AK100 should I send it back or are these issues just surface.

The Tera player was perfect but the $ to the euro is not good, and it make the Tera player about $350 more.

any imput?

Apr 30, 2013 at 4:15 PM Post #4,600 of 9,165
Ok I was following this thread when it was mostly positive, but not it looks like a lot of issues.

I was between the AK100 and the Tera player, and I just bought the AK100 should I send it back or are these issues just surface.

The Tera player was perfect but the $ to the euro is not good, and it make the Tera player about $350 more.

any imput?

There are no new issues with the AK that I'm aware of. The only two major problems have been known since the offset, the high output impedance and the lack of gapless. Was there a particular issue worrying you?

Apr 30, 2013 at 8:41 PM Post #4,601 of 9,165
Quote:

any imput?

No, don't send it back based on this discussion. The issues are very personal in nature - what bugs one person won't bug another. Give it a try and see how you feel because the sound is truly wonderful and the UI is (overall) not as bad as the recent comments might suggest.

I can completely understand the frustrations expressed by others on this page, but their concerns don't ring true of me - I have had nothing but wonderful experiences with the AK100 to date. It doesn't crash / hang, it's easy to use, the touch screen is pretty responsive (albeit not Apple responsive), it syncs perfectly every time, and it sounds exceptional!!

Most importantly, I think it's about adapting to the player - I don't load new tunes to it if I am going to need it in a hurry because I know it will take a while to scan. If I have time, I just sync and then leave it to scan for a little while - no worries!

Apr 30, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #4,602 of 9,165
Well that's good to hear.  I will be using it with a JH-3a, so I have high expectations on the sound.  All the other issues I can deal with.  The tera player at the end of the day was $1,200, and that just seemed really expensive for that little guy.

Apr 30, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #4,604 of 9,165
Quote:
Well that's good to hear.  I will be using it with a JH-3a, so I have high expectations on the sound.  All the other issues I can deal with.  The tera player at the end of the day was $1,200, and that just seemed really expensive for that little guy.

It's an impeccable source unit (i.e. transport) to use with an amplifier like the JH-3a. I use mine with the Tralucent T1 amp which of course negates any of the output impedance issues (as will any amplifier).

Tm.chen's suggestion of listening to one first is always good, but you've already ordered it as I understand and depending on where you are, that can be difficult sometimes. The good news is, I don't think I've heard anyone complain about the sound from the AK100 (assuming the output impedance isn't an issue which it won't be via the JH-3a)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back