The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
May 2, 2013 at 8:31 AM Post #4,621 of 9,165
Is there an FAQ on the AK100 somewhere - that has details on how to use it?

I have bought two - the first one I returned because I could only put a memory card into the bottom slot - only to find the second one was identical in that respect and that the memory card for the top slot had to be inserted upside down.

I can play songs off of the memory cards with no issues, but what I can't figure out is how to get any songs onto the actual player.

The player does not show up on my Windows 7 PC - the player itself just 'charges'.  I thought I read something about needing to put the player into 'connect' mode, but can't figure out how to do that.

I would also like to update the firmware from 1.30 to 1.33.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks.

May 2, 2013 at 8:55 AM Post #4,622 of 9,165
madFloyd, what memory cards you using? 32 or 64G?

my Apple has no problem showing AK plus two MCSD but PC might be different.

for accessing AK i would recommend you remove memory cards before connecting this to your PC.

please let know if this worked for you.

as regards memory slots, yes, the first card must be insert upside down, ops, Peter Gabriel has a song like this :-D
card slots are difficult to access, so some practice and nail crashing is a must :-D)))

May 2, 2013 at 9:05 AM Post #4,623 of 9,165
Thanks for the reply  I have the default memory card (some sample music) and a 64GB.

I just figured out that I needed to disconnect the AK100 and re-connect it again - it then gave me the choice of charge or connect.  I guess originally the battery was so low that it just went into charge mode.

So now with it connected, I see 3 drives - the two memory cards and the internal drive of the AK100.  I have copied songs to it no problem.

So I think I just need to figure out the firmware upgrade - where to get it, how to apply it, etc.

May 2, 2013 at 9:08 AM Post #4,624 of 9,165
i think there is an explanation somewhere on AK site but since i never was interested to do FW upgrade i cannot tell more.

hopefully someone with better knowledge of the isssue can answer about FW upgrading.

May 2, 2013 at 9:09 AM Post #4,625 of 9,165
Quote:
Thanks for the reply  I have the default memory card (some sample music) and a 64GB.

I just figured out that I needed to disconnect the AK100 and re-connect it again - it then gave me the choice of charge or connect.  I guess originally the battery was so low that it just went into charge mode.

So now with it connected, I see 3 drives - the two memory cards and the internal drive of the AK100.  I have copied songs to it no problem.

So I think I just need to figure out the firmware upgrade - where to get it, how to apply it, etc.

If you install the Iriver Plus 4 software (it's in a folder on the AKs internal drive) When you have the software running and you connect your AK to your pc it will automatically detect if your firmware needs updating and do it for you.

Alternatively you can get the firmware on the Astell & Kern website.

Let us know if you have any other problems getting up and running :)

May 2, 2013 at 9:38 AM Post #4,626 of 9,165
Quote:

Just go the iRiver website and then click on Download section. You will see the new firmware V1.33. Click on it and download to your pc.

http://www.iriverinc.com/lounge/loungeList.asp

The downloaded firmware is a zip file. You need to extract it and then copy the extracted file and paste it in the memory of your AK100. Your device will detect the new firmware and will start the update automatically.

Best of luck.

May 2, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #4,627 of 9,165
Alan, but must you paste the file into the root of AK and not particular folder?

May 2, 2013 at 11:16 AM Post #4,628 of 9,165
Quote:
Alan, but must you paste the file into the root of AK and not particular folder?

That is correct. The .hex firmware upgrade file downloaded from our website must be copied into the root of the AK.

We at Astell&Kern are very proud to see that this thread has exploded! If you guys have any particular questions I can answer about the AK100, (looks like a lot of it has been addressed in this thread long ago) please PM me or ask us at our sponsor thread. (http://www.head-fi.org/t/662134/astell-kern-ak100-50-hdtracks-download-credit-free-shipping)

I will try to answer many of your concerns and suggestions in this thread as well. 

By the way, we do realize that Gapless playback implementation is one of the main features that many of you want to see. Rest assured our engineers are very hard at work making this happen. Please bear with us as we will make an announcement here at Head-Fi and at our social media pages when the new firmware with gapless is ready to launch.

May 2, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #4,629 of 9,165
I do have a question about playback,

Sometimes the song would end suddenly but the files were not corrupted as on a second playback, it was fine.
Any idea why that is happening?

The screen was locked and I wasnt fiddling around with the dap at that time.

May 2, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #4,631 of 9,165
tm.chen: You may need to upgrade the firmware on your AK100. What version are you running now? What audio format is the error happening on?

Shoot us an email at our customer support email: support.inc@iriver.com. We can diagnose it if it's a metadata issue, corrupted file, or a hardware problem.

May 2, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #4,632 of 9,165
tm.chen: You may need to upgrade the firmware on your AK100. What version are you running now? What audio format is the error happening on?

Shoot us an email at our customer support email: support.inc@iriver.com. We can diagnose it if it's a metadata issue, corrupted file, or a hardware problem.

Hi Jmoonak, I have had similar problems with the last couple of second appearing to be trimmed off tracks. If I then go back and play the same track again it has no problems. This appears to be completely random and I can't see a pattern. My firmware is 1.33 and I don't recall having the same issue on earlier firmwares.

It's nice to see IRiver's participation here as well :)

May 2, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #4,633 of 9,165
I have seen this problem on MP3 files purchased from Amazon that have data about the purchase transaction embedded in an MP3 tag. This is reproducible and I have send a sample to iRiver tech support, but not seen a fix for it yet.

May 2, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #4,634 of 9,165
I have seen this problem on MP3 files purchased from Amazon that have data about the purchase transaction embedded in an MP3 tag. This is reproducible and I have send a sample to iRiver tech support, but not seen a fix for it yet.

Here is the workaround: http://www.head-fi.org/t/630288/the-new-iriver-ak100-a-high-end-dap/2490#post_9135174

May 2, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #4,635 of 9,165
Nope, different problem guys. This is occurring randomly on tracks and then cannot be reproduced on the same track. These tracks have also been ripped from CD and not purchased from Amazon. It's also only been occurring for me since the newest firmware 1.33

Users who are viewing this thread

Back