The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Mar 19, 2013 at 5:40 PM Post #3,391 of 9,165
Quote:
I have never had that not enough space problem.   However, I noticed that, in their directions for upgrading firmware, it states that you should have over 50mb of free memory to safely update your firmware.  I suppose that could apply here too.   It is possible though that scanning and building a database might require even more space on the drive.  I would start though by making sure that you have at least 50mb free minimum and work from there.

Yup I had 16mb free at that time. I have since figured out how to get my SD card files to show on my player so now the bulk of my albums are on them. Everything is working as it should and I'm super happy! Thanks for all the help everyone.

Mar 20, 2013 at 2:03 AM Post #3,393 of 9,165
Quote:
These are the cards I use. I was recommended these from another user who says they work with the AK100 and RWAK100 (which I have). Does anyone else use these with success? 

I have 10 of these cards and have no problems with any of them, use them in my DX100 and AK100.

Mar 20, 2013 at 2:43 AM Post #3,394 of 9,165
Using the same 64GB card too, no problem. With the cards anyway.

Tried the new firmware, no notable changes, not for worse and not for better either. At least they keep working on it... There seems to be a change to the .sys file, not sure about some of the variables.

Quote:
[Added Functions]
1. Updated Japanese font (multi-font)
2. Support M4A lyrics(based on i-tunes)
3. If you delete music files in your playlist previously created from SD card or internal memory, they will be only shown by grey colored.(even can't click them)

[Bug fix]
1.Bugfix during formatting to fat in Mac pc

[Improvements]
1. Improvement of booting speed 20% compared with 1.30
2. Allowing even no audio stream information flac file to playback.
3. Allowing even damaged(audio data ) flac file to playback.

Despite an apparent change to the built-in font, still drops the character following a diacritic one in western names & titles.

The bug fix seems to address the issue I ran into and which required me to return my AK100 for a warranty repair.

FLAC improvements are nice if you use those. Lyrics is nice I guess, but I'd rather they had provided more general, detailed file info under that info tab, common to all file formats, incl. Comments for example.

Still cannot get the database to work with my current song load. Maybe a maximum track limit, like 5000? Does anybody here have as many or more, if so how many? (using the Library Scan function, not just browsing folders) I eliminated folder depth as an issue, having the folders less nested does not make a difference, neither do firmware updates, resets or restarts.

Mar 20, 2013 at 2:54 AM Post #3,396 of 9,165
Quote:
Using the same 64GB card too, no problem. With the cards anyway.

Tried the new firmware, no notable changes, not for worse and not for better either. At least they keep working on it... There seems to be a change to the .sys file, not sure about some of the variables.

Despite an apparent change to the built-in font, still drops the character following a diacritic one in western names & titles.

The bug fix seems to address the issue I ran into and which required me to return my AK100 for a warranty repair.

FLAC improvements are nice if you use those. Lyrics is nice I guess, but I'd rather they had provided more general, detailed file info under that info tab, common to all file formats, incl. Comments for example.

Still cannot get the database to work with my current song load. Maybe a maximum track limit, like 5000? Does anybody here have as many or more, if so how many? (using the Library Scan function, not just browsing folders) I eliminated folder depth as an issue, having the folders less nested does not make a difference, neither do firmware updates, resets or restarts.

I've noticed that certain of my files did not appear as well, so what I did is reconvert it again and it did the trick. So using dbpower I convert the flac album again into flac. 

Mar 20, 2013 at 3:23 AM Post #3,397 of 9,165
Quote:

I have 8000+ tracks!  They are spread out between the internal drive and one 64gb card.  Nothing in the other slot.
How much space do you have open on the internal drive?  The guy who just got his AK was having troubling running a scan with less than 50m of space left on the internal drive.

Mar 20, 2013 at 4:12 AM Post #3,398 of 9,165
Can one of you kind folks who have downloaded the 1.32 firmware possibly care to share it by uploading on some third party file sharing website please?

Thanks

Mar 20, 2013 at 4:36 AM Post #3,399 of 9,165
Quote:
Can one of you kind folks who have downloaded the 1.32 firmware possibly care to share it by uploading on some third party file sharing website please?

Thanks

Here is the AK-100 v1.32 firmware, served from my Dropbox. For the security conscious among you, the sha1sum is cac8601d95c5386eb85a8d5db6b07efb98cbc0ab.

AK-100 v1.32 firmware

Mar 20, 2013 at 5:48 AM Post #3,400 of 9,165
Quote:
I have 8000+ tracks!  They are spread out between the internal drive and one 64gb card.  Nothing in the other slot.
How much space do you have open on the internal drive?  The guy who just got his AK was having troubling running a scan with less than 50m of space left on the internal drive.

Thanks for the info. I've got a few gigs left on the internal drive, so no issue there. Their free space recommendation seems to be appropriate, the database alone is already 30MB, plus a few more MB for the album art.

Theoretically I'd have ~6700 tracks for now, using just 1 extra card. It completes the scan, builds a large database, but then claims there are no albums/artists/genres etc... each storage by itself works fine, but internal + 1 card, no dice, thus my question about # of files. It worked previously even with 2 cards, but each wasn't nearly full. It's mostly MP3 for some lossy files and ALAC for everything lossless.

Don't think there's something wrong with the files per se, since they work fine when folder browsing, though I haven't checked each single one of course... maybe there's 1 incompatible one in the pile that screws things up. Never had a player this finicky.

Mar 20, 2013 at 9:43 AM Post #3,401 of 9,165
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for the info. I've got a few gigs left on the internal drive, so no issue there. Their free space recommendation seems to be appropriate, the database alone is already 30MB, plus a few more MB for the album art.

Theoretically I'd have ~6700 tracks for now, using just 1 extra card. It completes the scan, builds a large database, but then claims there are no albums/artists/genres etc... each storage by itself works fine, but internal + 1 card, no dice, thus my question about # of files. It worked previously even with 2 cards, but each wasn't nearly full. It's mostly MP3 for some lossy files and ALAC for everything lossless.

Don't think there's something wrong with the files per se, since they work fine when folder browsing, though I haven't checked each single one of course... maybe there's 1 incompatible one in the pile that screws things up. Never had a player this finicky.

You said that it worked before.  Do you mean before 1.32?  Maybe they changed something in the update that is now adversely affecting you.

Mar 20, 2013 at 10:36 AM Post #3,402 of 9,165
Any one tried multiple dynamic drivers IEM with the AK100 ? And especially JVC HA-FXZ200 ?

I mainly use my AK100 with a Denon D600, they match very well to my ears.
Now i'm looking for a pair of IEM with the same signature en qualities (kind of bass heavy but still very detailed / layered sound, and very dynamic).

I saw the FXZ200 and i'm very intrigued by their 3 dynamic drivers design :)

Mar 20, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #3,403 of 9,165
Quote:
You said that it worked before.  Do you mean before 1.32?  Maybe they changed something in the update that is now adversely affecting you.

Sorry for not being clearer, I meant it worked previously with both cards in, but the total # of tracks was much lower since I was experimenting around. Only once I started loading them up with all my music that the problem appeared, even with just 1 card + internal, never mind the 2nd one. This has not changed one way or the other after upgrading the firmware. I'll keep trying a few more things when I have more time...

Mar 20, 2013 at 8:04 PM Post #3,404 of 9,165
Hmmmm.  I updated to the 1.32 firmware.   Unfortunately, I could not get the AK to successfully complete a manual scan with my 64gb sandisk card.   It seemed to stop consistently at 10,000 songs.  I thought there might be a maximum of 10K song entries.  I deleted some files till i got down to 9,500 - but still no success.

As an experiment, I reverted back to 1.30.  It was able to scan 9,500 files.  I then tried another experiment and was able to scan in a library of 10,000+ items.  I had to run the scan twice to get the 10K+ to work though.

Anyone else have problems running large scans with 1.32 when they did not previously have problems with 1.30?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back