The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Mar 19, 2013 at 10:02 AM Post #3,362 of 9,165
I will be using it unamped but also with amp. For comparisons with other players i will not use an amp to keep it fair though. I am currently using my HE-500 straight from the headphone out, with the help of the Epiphany Acoustics Solaris 1/4 inch to 1/8 inch adapter of course!

Mar 19, 2013 at 10:03 AM Post #3,363 of 9,165
Quote:
HE-500, hmmm?!

I thought why not ahahah. Too see how it fares. Also my left ear is a bit sore at the moment and i do not want to use IEMs until it is better so HE-500 it is. May switch to my modded HD580 in a bit :D

Mar 19, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #3,364 of 9,165
I'm having problems getting the ak100 to read my micro sd cards. I have formatted 2 64gb cards with fat32 and the player shows that the cards are in with the little graphics at the top. However, no music is available even though I have them loaded with albums. The iriver plus 4 works with putting files on my player, but not for putting them on my external memory. I have tried everything I can think of and am hoping you all can advise. Thanks!

Mar 19, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #3,365 of 9,165
I'm having problems getting the ak100 to read my micro sd cards. I have formatted 2 64gb cards with fat32 and the player shows that the cards are in with the little graphics at the top. However, no music is available even though I have them loaded with albums. The iriver plus 4 works with putting files on my player, but not for putting them on my external memory. I have tried everything I can think of and am hoping you all can advise. Thanks!

i don't know why people continue to insist on using 2-64 gb cards when multiple people have had issues in this thread and iriver does not say thet the player supports them. yes maybe they do work for some, but expect it to be a hassle or give you problems at some point not the contrary. if you want it to be hassle free use 2-32 gb cards and be happy.

Mar 19, 2013 at 11:00 AM Post #3,366 of 9,165
That could be a little difficult (well if you have minimal tracks then not) as the tera has no screen to navigate. I'd think comparing the same tracks on both units in WAV would be a good test. Even blind as you mentioned.

I spent the weekend with a tera a few weeks ago, I was not that impressed. I am not that good at elaborating on sound and differences between sources and all that.
I love the minimalist aesthetic and found it easy to get used to using, but the fact that it only plays wavs is the deal breaker for me. I only really have like 10% of my music in lossless.
I tried converting 320 mp3's to wav, knowing it would be pretty much worthless, and it was. But I wanted to try. The lossless stuff I did have that I converted to wav sounded good but it did not blow me away at all. It does sound good, but I think when you factor in what you get and what you have to pay...diminishing returns becomes a big factor. If some day it plays multiple formats well, I would be interested because I do love the simplicity of it.

Mar 19, 2013 at 11:03 AM Post #3,367 of 9,165
Quote:
i don't know why people continue to insist on using 2-64 gb cards when multiple people have had issues in this thread and iriver does not say thet the player supports them. yes maybe they do work for some, but expect it to be a hassle or give you problems at some point not the contrary. if you want it to be hassle free use 2-32 gb cards and be happy.

This is taken directly from the ak100 site's FAQ:

Q: Can I use a 64GB micro SD card with the Astell & Kern AK100?

A: Yes! Here's how:

1) Open "Disk Utility" on your Mac to reformat your micro SD card.

2) Select "MS DOS (FAT)" as the new volume format.

3) Click "Apply" to format.

Mar 19, 2013 at 11:53 AM Post #3,368 of 9,165
I have two 64GB cards in my AK100. I formatted them by putting them in an Android 2.3.5 system (Samsung Galaxy Player) and letting Android do the formatting. No problems since except right after installing firmware 1.32. Then both cards appeared blank until I rebooted the AK100. I copy music onto the player by plugging it in to a Win7 x64 desktop and using drag&drop.

Mar 19, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #3,369 of 9,165
Quote:
I have two 64GB cards in my AK100. I formatted them by putting them in an Android 2.3.5 system (Samsung Galaxy Player) and letting Android do the formatting. No problems since except right after installing firmware 1.32. Then both cards appeared blank until I rebooted the AK100. I copy music onto the player by plugging it in to a Win7 x64 desktop and using drag&drop.

Do you transfer your music on the micro sd through the iriver plus 4 or just drag and drop from your music folder to your sd card in a reader? I've also found that if I just put files into the music folder of the player without using the plus 4 software nothing shows up when using my player, but it shows up when I look into the storage of the player itself.

Mar 19, 2013 at 12:08 PM Post #3,370 of 9,165
I just drag&drop folders from Explorer. I always listen to full albums and the AK100 tag handling is so bad that I just play by navigating the folder structure.

Mar 19, 2013 at 12:15 PM Post #3,371 of 9,165
Quote:
Do you transfer your music on the micro sd through the iriver plus 4 or just drag and drop from your music folder to your sd card in a reader? I've also found that if I just put files into the music folder of the player without using the plus 4 software nothing shows up when using my player, but it shows up when I look into the storage of the player itself.

Drag n drop is the easiest method I found. If metadata isnt showing, I check for integrity with an editor like MP3tag or Tag&Rename.

If the files aren't showing up on the AK100, try the manual library scan.

Mar 19, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #3,372 of 9,165
Quote:
I just drag&drop folders from Explorer. I always listen to full albums and the AK100 tag handling is so bad that I just play by navigating the folder structure.

I can't get this to work for me for some reason... Also I see no way to change the time. It just feels as if there is some kind of setting in the firmware that I'm missing. 

Mar 19, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #3,373 of 9,165
Quote:
Drag n drop is the easiest method I found. If metadata isnt showing, I check for integrity with an editor like MP3tag or Tag&Rename.

If the files aren't showing up on the AK100, try the manual library scan.

Ok so let's assume I don't want to use the plus 4 software. I hook up my player via usb, drag and drop my albums into the music folder and disconnect after it's finished transferring. How can I get these files to show up on my player, once I turn it on it will show no files.

Mar 19, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #3,374 of 9,165
This is taken directly from the ak100 site's FAQ:

Q: Can I use a 64GB micro SD card with the Astell & Kern AK100?

A: Yes! Here's how:

1) Open "Disk Utility" on your Mac to reformat your micro SD card.

2) Select "MS DOS (FAT)" as the new volume format.

3) Click "Apply" to format.

Don't know where that is, but right on the faq it says up to 32 gb : http://www.iriver.com/support/faq_view.asp?fNum=582

Also on the main page of the ak100 it says up to 96gb of memory total. Not 160 gb.

Once again, maybe it does support 64gb cards, but if iriver chooses to hide that information on some random deeply found faq and not on the main page at all, that might be saying something.
All I know is that it seems like the performance using 64gb cards is 50/50 at best. If holding 64gb more music is worth having slow scans and being problematic at best . Have fun !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back