The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Mar 19, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #3,376 of 9,165
Quote:
Don't know where that is, but right on the faq it says up to 32 gb : http://www.iriver.com/support/faq_view.asp?fNum=582

Also on the main page of the ak100 it says up to 96gb of memory total. Not 160 gb.

Once again, maybe it does support 64gb cards, but if iriver chooses to hide that information on some random deeply found faq and not on the main page at all, that might be saying something.
All I know is that it seems like the performance using 64gb cards is 50/50 at best. If holding 64gb more music is worth having slow scans and being problematic at best . Have fun !

It's on ALOaudio's FAQ for the AK100 since they are selling it.

http://www.aloaudio.com/ak100   <---- click the FAQ tab

I know this isn't the manufacturer but why mislead people if it's not so?

Mar 19, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #3,377 of 9,165
Quote:
Card speed could be an issue as well. I don't think all SDXC 64GB cards will work. Likely better off with slower ones. that operate more like fast SDHC units

These are the cards I use. I was recommended these from another user who says they work with the AK100 and RWAK100 (which I have). Does anyone else use these with success? 

Mar 19, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #3,379 of 9,165
Quote:
Blue Jeans Cables is not a super expensive cable company, esp. relative to WireWorld, etc.  They are priced somewhere in the middle between Monoprice and the boutique companies.  

They are a small company based out of my state that make everything to order.  I use them from everything from speaker cables to RF cables.  No frills, no designs.  Just quality craftsmanship and parts.

Just wanted to confirm, if I wanted to use the AK100 as a transport --> Woo Audio WA7 --> Headphones, I would need a 1/8" stereo to pair of RCA cable?

This setup would then use the amp and DAC of the WA7? 

Please correct me if I"m confused.

Thanks!

Mar 19, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #3,380 of 9,165
Quote:

i've been using my Mad Dog APs thru my RWAK....great combination....not much headroom left thou...running at ~60 in volume on most tracks....

I think i was running at 65 with my HE-500s but.... i was impressed with the sound, not at the best i have heard them but i was clean and strong bass so i will not complain!
Quote:
Just wanted to confirm, if I wanted to use the AK100 as a transport --> Woo Audio WA7 --> Headphones, I would need a 1/8" stereo to pair of RCA cable?

Thanks!

The RCA in to the WA7 is only for Analog in so you would just use the amp of the WA7. To use both the Amp and the DAC the WA7 would need an Optical in or the AK100 a USB out!

Mar 19, 2013 at 1:39 PM Post #3,381 of 9,165
Quote:

Thanks!

The WA7 only has one digital input: USB. The AK100 has optical digital output - not USB.

In the scenario you described, the AK100 would be the DAC, the WA7 just the amp. what you're asking for can't work with the WA7 (unless there's some other box that can convert optical to USB?  usually it's the other way around)

Most DAC/amps in the price range of the WA7 have optical inputs. with one of those units, the AK100 optical out could be used and you'd have it as a pure transport.

Mar 19, 2013 at 1:40 PM Post #3,382 of 9,165
Quote:
The WA7 only has one digital input: USB. The AK100 has optical digital output - not USB.

In the scenario you described, the AK100 would be the DAC, the WA7 just the amp. what you're asking for can't work with the WA7 (unless there's some other box that can convert optical to USB?  usually it's the other way around)

Most DAC/amps in the price range of the WA7 have optical inputs. with one of those units, the AK100 optical out could be used and you'd have it as a pure transport.

Thanks for the reply =)

Mar 19, 2013 at 1:41 PM Post #3,383 of 9,165
Quote:
Ok so let's assume I don't want to use the plus 4 software. I hook up my player via usb, drag and drop my albums into the music folder and disconnect after it's finished transferring. How can I get these files to show up on my player, once I turn it on it will show no files.

You've just missed the final step

1. settings
2. advanced.
3. auto Library scan
4. Library scan

wait a few minutes.... et voila :)

Enjoy the sweeeeeet sounds :)

Mar 19, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #3,384 of 9,165
Quote:

You've just missed the final step

1. settings
2. advanced.
3. auto Library scan
4. Library scan

wait a few minutes.... et voila :)

Enjoy the sweeeeeet sounds :)

I'm so dumb I missed the fact that I could scroll down on the menu, it just seemed as if I only had those 4 options. Ok so now it says that I don't have enough space to do a library scan. So I'm guessing I need to remove some files from the player itself and let it do it's magic. I was just about to post that I had found this and there you are with the advice so thanks for me and anyone else with this fumble in the future.

Mar 19, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #3,385 of 9,165
Ha ha, no worries, glad you sussed it :)

I've never seen that message about not having enough room to scan, but it does sound like your main drive may be too chocker.

I reckon delete an album... or maybe just a bit of artwork :wink:  and you should be golden

Mar 19, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #3,387 of 9,165
Quote:
These are the cards I use. I was recommended these from another user who says they work with the AK100 and RWAK100 (which I have). Does anyone else use these with success? 

Yes, they work fine.

Mar 19, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #3,388 of 9,165
Quote:
Card speed could be an issue as well. I don't think all SDXC 64GB cards will work. Likely better off with slower ones. that operate more like fast SDHC units

I think that most people who use the 64gb cards are using the same ones by sandisk and they are class 10.  One or two other manufacturers make them too, but i think they are all also class 10 - at least at amazon.

Mar 19, 2013 at 5:29 PM Post #3,389 of 9,165
Quote:

I think that is pretty much the 64gb card used by almost everyone here.   Until recently, they have been the only ones readily available.  A few other manufactures have now come out with a few, but as far as I know no one has tested them on the AK100.   I would steer away from those until someone has tested them.  In any case, it looks like you are using the right ones.

Mar 19, 2013 at 5:36 PM Post #3,390 of 9,165
Quote:
I'm so dumb I missed the fact that I could scroll down on the menu, it just seemed as if I only had those 4 options. Ok so now it says that I don't have enough space to do a library scan. So I'm guessing I need to remove some files from the player itself and let it do it's magic. I was just about to post that I had found this and there you are with the advice so thanks for me and anyone else with this fumble in the future.

I have never had that not enough space problem.   However, I noticed that, in their directions for upgrading firmware, it states that you should have over 50mb of free memory to safely update your firmware.  I suppose that could apply here too.   It is possible though that scanning and building a database might require even more space on the drive.  I would start though by making sure that you have at least 50mb free minimum and work from there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back