The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Mar 16, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #3,271 of 9,165
Quote:
I use Earsonics SM64 IEMs & Beyer T70 (250 ohm).  Right now I'm using a 4G Arrow that I finally received just yesterday, but I plan to order a ALO Rx Mk3-B because I'll likely get another set of (harder to drive) fullsize cans over the next few months.  Plus any portable amp that I get can also be used in my transportable setup (rMBP + Meridian Explorer) when I travel (& stay in hotels) for business.  At least those are the rationales for my spending splurge!  =p

I am actually using it with Arrow 4G and I like it alot. Ofcourse adding an amp to what is advertised a portable DAP defeats the purpose but that is the only solution. I was thinking of getting something like P-51 mustang should match them fine.
I was told that  ALO international pairs nice with it but I dont plan on using its DAC and I dont need the balanced connection so dont like paying for something I dont use.

I just wait for now and see what the future brings for me. 

Mar 16, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #3,272 of 9,165
Beuller? Beuller? Anyone? Beuller? :wink:

Afternoon my learned chums.

I have a couple of questions about the AK 100s graphic equalizer, which I was hoping one of you might be able to help me with :)

With the graphic switched on, it sounds markedly different to with it switched off. Is this correct? I would have expected the graphic on with no adjustments to have sounded the same as it being switched off. Is this my ignorance at play?

Secondly I was wondering what the best option to adjust the 6 - 8khz band would be? I am using the Tzar 350s and a number of owners have reported a marked improvement in this slightly bright range by reducing it by about 4db. As the AK only has a 5 band equalizer covering the 4khz and 16khz bands, am I just crap out of luck here?

Mar 16, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #3,273 of 9,165
Quote:
With the graphic switched on, it sounds markedly different to with it switched off. Is this correct? I would have expected the graphic on with no adjustments to have sounded the same as it being switched off. Is this my ignorance at play?

Secondly I was wondering what the best option to adjust the 6 - 8khz band would be? I am using the Tzar 350s and a number of owners have reported a marked improvement in this slightly bright range by reducing it by about 4db. As the AK only has a 5 band equalizer covering the 4khz and 16khz bands, am I just crap out of luck here?

When the EQ is on, the overall output level is dropped. When you push the volume up, it will sound the same if the volume is matched correctly.

Can't help you with the Tzar 350 there. I was using it with my RWAK100 previously and the treble spike is exceptionally disturbing on the RWAK100. On warmer tube amp it is more acceptable. What I did then was to drop the 4khz and 16khz band down.

Mar 16, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #3,274 of 9,165
Quote:
Quote:
I use Earsonics SM64 IEMs & Beyer T70 (250 ohm).  Right now I'm using a 4G Arrow that I finally received just yesterday, but I plan to order a ALO Rx Mk3-B because I'll likely get another set of (harder to drive) fullsize cans over the next few months.  Plus any portable amp that I get can also be used in my transportable setup (rMBP + Meridian Explorer) when I travel (& stay in hotels) for business.  At least those are the rationales for my spending splurge!  =p

I am actually using it with Arrow 4G and I like it alot. Ofcourse adding an amp to what is advertised a portable DAP defeats the purpose but that is the only solution. I was thinking of getting something like P-51 mustang should match them fine.
I was told that  ALO international pairs nice with it but I dont plan on using its DAC and I dont need the balanced connection so dont like paying for something I dont use.

I just wait for now and see what the future brings for me. 

^^That's the same reason I decided against the International; have no need for it's DAC & feel like I'm basically paying for a National w/ a DAC stuffed into the box (I know..it's not quite THAT).  I like the features of the MK3, and like I said, it seems it's a piece of gear that seems to meet my planned future needs as well.  Hell, maybe by then I'll even go balanced headphones too.

Mar 16, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #3,275 of 9,165
Quote:
^^That's the same reason I decided against the International; have no need for it's DAC & feel like I'm basically paying for a National w/ a DAC stuffed into the box (I know..it's not quite THAT).  I like the features of the MK3, and like I said, it seems it's a piece of gear that seems to meet my planned future needs as well.  Hell, maybe by then I'll even go balanced headphones too.

nice, if you do end up buying it let us how you like it. If I ever decide to buy a dedicated amp for it it should be in the same foot size dimension. I really do not need another amp, I might get mine modded and bypass the 22 ohm resistor but I really dont want to as it voids the warranty and I do not like paying 250 for what seems to be a simple mod. 

I just wait and see what iriver is planning to bring and more importantly whether I can get mine replaced offically if they ever bring a new revision(much like how earsonic does it).

From pictures the amp board seem to be separate from the DAC board, so it should be that hard right?

Mar 16, 2013 at 10:59 PM Post #3,277 of 9,165
Quote:
I don't at all mean to be disagreeable, but I've paired my rwak100 with my arrow 4g and couldn't hear any sonic benefits. In fact, using the 4g's bass boost switch, I actually got some clipping. What benefits did you hear?

With 4G and ES10/EX-1000 the bass issues seems to have gone away  however it could have been my tired ears. Paired with XBA-4 using stock AK100 I get a V shape sound, I tried that for a while(6 hours) and I am almost 100% sure it is a V shape with recessed mids and more emphasis on the treble. I will be testing the XBA-4 with arrow 4G and C5 later today. 

PS:I really should avoid using terms like "love", bad habits. 

EDIT: Just listened to the same tracks and yes their is not bass issue, I tested with ODAC+O2 and it sounds the same, I just forgot that the bass sounded like that. 

Mar 17, 2013 at 12:30 AM Post #3,278 of 9,165
Quote:
I don't at all mean to be disagreeable, but I've paired my rwak100 with my arrow 4g and couldn't hear any sonic benefits. In fact, using the 4g's bass boost switch, I actually got some clipping. What benefits did you hear?

Chris you have to keep in mind you have an RWA AK100 while he has the regular version. Meaning the bass on the EX1000s could very well be rolled off due to the impedance issues on his unit. I never found the RWA AK100 lacking in bass. It actually was a bit lose for my tastes.

Mar 17, 2013 at 12:37 AM Post #3,279 of 9,165
@ newbi: cool, glad to hear that the arrow was able to fix some probs for you with the ak100. It could have to do with differences in the impedance between the rwak100 and the ak100, but aside from providing a higher volume ceiling, I just didn't get much out of using the rwak100 with the arrow.. I'm still searching for an amp to pair with it to make my earphones more "alive" (terrible word choice, but I'm drawing at straws right now trying to come up with an acurate description) :rolleyes:

Mar 17, 2013 at 12:38 AM Post #3,280 of 9,165
Quote:
@ newbi: cool, glad to hear that the arrow was able to fix some probs for you with the ak100. It could have to do with differences in the impedance between the rwak100 and the ak100, but aside from providing a higher volume ceiling, I just didn't get much out of using the rwak100 with the arrow.. I'm still searching for an amp to pair with it to make my earphones more "alive" (terrible word choice, but I'm drawing at straws right now trying to come up with an a curate description)
redface.gif

The T1 amp did that for me Chris :). Still I really found it to be a letdown as I didn't want to use an amp to bring the unit up to snuff. In ClieOS review he had mentioned something about the T1 maintaining very good power even to low impedance IEMs which could also be a factor in its praise?

Mar 17, 2013 at 12:48 AM Post #3,281 of 9,165
The T1 amp did that for me Chris :). Still I really found it to be a letdown as I didn't want to use an amp to bring the unit up to snuff. In ClieOS review he had mentioned something about the T1 maintaining very good power even to low impedance IEMs which could also be a factor in its praise?

It's funny, I love my iPhone but really think it set back the portable audiophile movement back about 5 yrs. The problem with them is that the GUI is just so damn good, but clearly music quality took a backseat, and so now we're all searching for a portable music player with excellent GUI and sq, because we know its possible, yet realistically so far from reach. Lets face it: all the top DAPs today are flawed in some way or another. Now I'm just trying to find an amp with a similar footprint to hold me over till a truly excellent player comes around...:p

Mar 17, 2013 at 12:49 AM Post #3,282 of 9,165
Quote:
It's funny, I love my iPhone but really think it set back the portable audiophile movement back about 5 yrs. The problem with them is that the GUI is just so damn good, but clearly music quality took a backseat, and so now we're all searching for a portable music player with excellent GUI and sq, because we know its possible, yet realistically so far from reach. Lets face it: all the top DAPs today are flawed in some way or another. Now I'm just trying to find an amp with a similar footprint to hold me over till a truly excellent player comes around...
tongue.gif

lol and I pointed you in that direction.
evil_smiley.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634235/tralucent-t1-appreciation-thread-post-your-experiences-and-questions-here/255#post_9092463

Mar 17, 2013 at 2:09 AM Post #3,284 of 9,165
Quote:

Hmm...amps don't take optical input. Maybe you mean DAC/Amp instead?

I agree with you - with my DX100 at fw 1.3.7, it does have the "bigger" sound by the RWAK100 however for me, it hasn't been that much that it'll make me want to choose the DX100 over the RWAK100 everytime I pick up the DAP. This is for the same reasons you mentioned about ease of use, portability, battery life, etc. In other words, the SQ of the RWAK100, though slightly short of the DX100 has become of lesser priority over other practical factors for my use.

And like  you, I occasionally couple my RWAK100 with an external amp to "fill the void" - except, I just use the analogue line-out. I've been using the Ortofon MHd-Q7 occasionally.

You're quite right, I am looking for a DAC/Amp. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who feels the same way regarding the RWAK100 vs DX100! Do you think the iBasso D12 will do what I want?

Mar 17, 2013 at 2:14 AM Post #3,285 of 9,165
You're quite right, I am looking for a DAC/Amp. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who feels the same way regarding the RWAK100 vs DX100! Do you think the iBasso D12 will do what I want?

If you look at the photos on the top left of this thread, you'll see a pix of the RWAK100 optical out to a mini DAC/Amp xxDuo (forgot model name). But the xxDuo is using the same DAC as the AK100 with an unknown amp. The RWAK100 was used solely as a transport in this case.

I couldn't try side-by-side with my DX100 cos I didn't bring it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back