The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Mar 8, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #3,061 of 9,165

I've had Vinnie's RWAK100 when it was first announced on his FB page (received maybe late December?) that he was going to sell modded AK100's. It's my primary DAP since.Sadly I don't know what dB I'm listening to but put it through an honorary 72 hr burn in at max volume with 24k resistors courtesy of Vinnie.

Thereafter I've probably used the RWAK100 with my headphones at volume setting 45 - 63 (depending on headphone). So far I've not had any problems with the RWAK100 mod. I have had non-modded issues such as my microSD card losing its index and therefore access to tracks but that's just re-indexing.

As for what WindowsX is posting, personally for me, I actually find it fascinating due to my lack of knowledge of audio electronics. Reading beyond the writing tones and writing styles, and just getting into the actual technical content, I personally find it interesting. Maybe the AK100 thread isn't the appropriate thread to talk about theory and theoretical limits, and when the theoretical limit becomes a practical limit.

May I suggest this conversation continue on the Sound Science section?

Quote:
Guys, no need to jump for the jugular...topic can easily be continued in other sub-sections of this forum. I do a lot of listening which is what most of my reviews are based on but my theoretical audio electronics knowledge is extremely weak (but I'm not exactly stupid either :wink:). I see a few members here who are having differing opposing theoretical discussions which is good, but I also speculate a lot of fanboy campers who may or may not even understand the discussion but being vocal here. Again, Maybe this thread is not the right thread for this kind of discussion and can be moved to Sound Science.
Keeping in mind this is preferential, & I have only listened to the Tera twice but it's enough to grab my attention. I find it to be a rich, smooth and very analogue (vinyl-like) sound.

Trolled over...

Mar 8, 2013 at 11:08 AM Post #3,062 of 9,165
Anybody having trouble with some tag in their songs? I have 56 songs that can't be read by the AK100. Foobar, iTunes, read the tag perfectly. I even deleted any tagging and re-tag them with Foobar but the AK100 still read them as unknown artist/album.

Mar 8, 2013 at 11:26 AM Post #3,063 of 9,165
Quote:
Anybody having trouble with some tag in their songs? I have 56 songs that can't be read by the AK100. Foobar, iTunes, read the tag perfectly. I even deleted any tagging and re-tag them with Foobar but the AK100 still read them as unknown artist/album.

What format are those songs in? I think i read somewhere that the AK100 doesn't support AIFF metadata right now. It only displays them on my AK100 as the filename. Playback is perfectly fine though. And naturally of course, WAV doesn't support metadata.

Hopefully they'll address it in their next firmware update.

Mar 8, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #3,064 of 9,165
Keeping in mind this is preferential, & I have only listened to the Tera twice but it's enough to grab my attention. I find it to be a rich, smooth and very analogue (vinyl-like) sound.

Me and a buddy are borrowing each others daps this weekend, He is going to try my rwak100 and I am going to try his terra. I was very intrigued by the terra, the huge issue I have with it is only supporting one file type. Even other lossless file types would be amazing, and may get me to jump in on it. I have a train trip to make, so I will have quite a bit of time with it. Who knows maybe after the weekend I will be sold :D

Mar 8, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #3,066 of 9,165
They are ALAC and mp3. The other thousands work just fine. I wonder what make the 56 songs unknown.

What format are those songs in? I think i read somewhere that the AK100 doesn't support AIFF metadata right now. It only displays them on my AK100 as the filename. Playback is perfectly fine though. And naturally of course, WAV doesn't support metadata.

Hopefully they'll address it in their next firmware update.

Mar 8, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #3,070 of 9,165
Hmmm, just got my RWAK100...it's charging right now, and I'm trying to familiarize myself w/ the UI.  I had gotten 2 64GB Sandisk micro SD cards & filled them w/ music (copied directly from my iTunes Music folder; kept same folder structure).  Anyway, I can't insert a micro SD card into the the top SD card slot; the bottom one works fine.  But the top one seems jammed, or something.  What...

ETA:  music plays just fine out of the one SD card I've been able to load into the bottom tray...  Sounds great..using my Earsonics SM64 right now.  Just need to figure out how to get the internal drive of the player to show up as a drive on my Macbook Pro so I can put music on it as well

Mar 8, 2013 at 12:06 PM Post #3,071 of 9,165
The top sd card slot orientation is the exact opposite of the bottom one. You need to flip your sd card.

Mar 8, 2013 at 12:09 PM Post #3,073 of 9,165
Hmmm, just got my RWAK100...it's charging right now, and I'm trying to familiarize myself w/ the UI.  I had gotten 2 64GB Sandisk micro SD cards & filled them w/ music (copied directly from my iTunes Music folder; kept same folder structure).  Anyway, I can't insert a micro SD card into the the top SD card slot; the bottom one works fine.  But the top one seems jammed, or something.  What...

flip it around and it will go in

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Mar 8, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #3,074 of 9,165
Quote:
The top sd card slot orientation is the exact opposite of the bottom one. You need to flip your sd card.

Quote:
Flip your top card over. Basically upside down and it will work. The pins of the 2 cards need to face away from each other.

Edit: solution in stereo!

Quote:
Quote:

flip it around and it will go in

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Nice!!  Thank you all...

Mar 8, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #3,075 of 9,165
Quote:
They are ALAC and mp3. The other thousands work just fine. I wonder what make the 56 songs unknown.

Almost everybody has had some issue with tags and/or album art... Some things to try:

- Encoding: has to be Western (ISO Latin 1) aka Windows/DOS, everything else incl. UTF is trouble. Depending on where those tracks came from, maybe a possibility? Most tagging apps or transcoder offer a choice somewhere to set the default character encoding & convert as needed.
- Even with Latin 1, the AK100's support is flacky with extended/accentuated characters. Some names may look "regular" but may in fact be using those characters. Re-typing the text yourself to replace it with "standard" letters may help.
- The AK100 doesn't like the "Compilation" tag, it should just be ignored if not recognized, but in this case may cause additional problems.
- Generally: inconsistent tags for the tracks of the same albums, maybe try doing a multi-edit on all of them at once to ensure the common tags are indeed all the same...

Of course, a more robust codec would solve all those issues, esp, if the same albums/tracks work fine on another player. But I don't see iRiver show much motivation to update the firmware further after being pressured into throwing in barebones ALAC/AAC support, esp. if it's true they plan to release a new AK-type player soon. If it is indeed cheaper and has a more robust firmware in terms of UI/codec support and that won't at least be downstreamed to the older, more expensive AK100, it'll be my last iRiver product...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back