The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Mar 7, 2013 at 1:35 PM Post #3,031 of 9,165
I gave my studio V a listen and the RWAK100 won. It has better imaging than the studio V. Micro detail is amazing. And like you said, awesome void background. Still the studio V manage to somehow deliver a little bit better low. Great player for 1/3 the cost of RWAK100.

Yeah I was comparing it to my Studio V 3rd ANV and DX100 in those respects :). But your Studio V (second gen right?) probably does hiss quite a bit from you SE5s which would be a turn off in that regards. The RWA AK100 background is like the void :p. Anyways in terms of synergy (lets say if the Studio V didn't have the hiss issues) which would you prefer on the SE5 pairing? I'm a bit curious as well as I do want to get the SE5s in the future lol :).

Mar 7, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #3,032 of 9,165
I've tested modded AK100 with 2000mW headphones and speakers system at maximum volume just now. I occasionally heard pops and cracks like output driver couldn't handle it or maybe oscillation occured. I suggest to never use modded AK100 at volume higher than 60db. Maybe 65db at best but do not exceed to 75db or you might regret doing that.

P.S. I tested from 3rd-party modded AK100 not RWAK100 so it may not happen like that to RWAK100 but better safe than sorry.

Mar 7, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #3,033 of 9,165
Anyone get random pops/crackles with their unit? My RWAK100 does it with various headphones seemingly at random.

Edit:too close to my tablet w/cellular radio :)

Mar 7, 2013 at 3:39 PM Post #3,034 of 9,165
UPDATE

I tested again with coupling adaptor I made for tests. No more pops and cracks after adding output coupling. It could be either some headphones and output devices can have oscillations problems at maximum volume or output of modded AK100 itself couldn't handle at maximum volume. At any rate, output coupling seems to be necessary for modded AK100 for now until there's better solution to prevent this. Maybe replacing resistor to 10 ohm ones or doing both output coupling and reducing resistor just to be safe and sure.

Mar 7, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #3,035 of 9,165
Rf interference is quite ok with the ak100. I only hear it when my phone has a really bad reception and trying to connect to 3G. I do get a pop everytime I plug in my SE5, but I don't have any problem with other headphones.

Anyone get random pops/crackles with their unit? My RWAK100 does it with various headphones seemingly at random.

Edit:too close to my tablet w/cellular radio :)

Mar 7, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #3,036 of 9,165
Quote:
Yeah, the second gen Studio V hiss a bit with the SE5. I'll let you know how it is tonight. Btw, do you like the 3rd ANV more than the RWAK100? 

Most definitely. That is why I sold the RWA. I just didn't feel it was an upgrade and more so a downgrade (paired on my 1Plus2s). But I'd recommend you wait until they release their updated model in like 2 or 3 months. The Studio V 3rd ANV reduced hiss by about 70%, increased power and improved sound quality. The newer one is suppose to have less hiss than the Rocoo BA which I'd equate to about 85 to 90% reduction on hiss on the 2nd generation. Pretty much if you don't pick up much hiss at all on the 2nd generation it should be black or very close to it on the SE5s. The Flat4 Sui is very close to being black on the Studio V 3rd ANV. You won't hear anything at all with music and even without music its barely audible at all (similar to the hiss I pick up on my iphone4 with my Heir 8As, maybe just slightly more). Pretty much you'd have to be looking for it to really notice it.

Mar 7, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #3,037 of 9,165
Quote:
I've tested modded AK100 with 2000mW headphones and speakers system at maximum volume just now. I occasionally heard pops and cracks like output driver couldn't handle it or maybe oscillation occured. I suggest to never use modded AK100 at volume higher than 60db. Maybe 65db at best but do not exceed to 75db or you might regret doing that.

P.S. I tested from 3rd-party modded AK100 not RWAK100 so it may not happen like that to RWAK100 but better safe than sorry.

No pops or cracks even at volume above 75db (75db in terms of decibel loudness, not the volume dial as shown in the player).

Mar 7, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #3,039 of 9,165

They missed 190db, the guy with the stupid coffee can muffler that rips up the street at 5:30 every morning going to work. Or maybe it just feels like 190db :D

Mar 7, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #3,040 of 9,165
Hmm, it looks like the iriver ecommerce shop is now selling the official leather case for the AK100. Looks a lot like the cases shown in the thread previously, minus the neck strap (without having to order from outside the US). Snazzy looking packaging and not a terrible price either at $50 + S&H. 

Check it out here: http://shop.iriverinc.com/index.php/accessories/cases/leather-case-for-astell-kern-ak100.html

Mar 7, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #3,041 of 9,165
Quote:
Hmm, it looks like the iriver ecommerce shop is now selling the official leather case for the AK100. Looks a lot like the cases shown in the thread previously, minus the neck strap (without having to order from outside the US). Snazzy looking packaging and not a terrible price either at $50 + S&H. 

Check it out here: http://shop.iriverinc.com/index.php/accessories/cases/leather-case-for-astell-kern-ak100.html

That looks just like the Dignis case but just with A&K embossed and no strap loop at the back. Even the box that the case comes in looks the same. At least it's cheaper.

Mar 7, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #3,042 of 9,165
Quote:
I suggest to never use modded AK100 at volume higher than 60db. Maybe 65db at best but do not exceed to 75db or you might regret doing that.

WindowsX,

You can speak for the modded unit that you have (which you mentioned is not the RWAK100 - thank you) and continue to mention all your fears.  You certainly can't let this 22-ohm resistor go and are fearful of oscillations, snaps, pops, and crackles, blowing headphones, and the like.  If these fears keep you up at night, then use those big caps on the output and put it to rest.  But continuing to post here on speculation of impending doom is starting to become a little much. 
deadhorse.gif

To those who have a RWAK100,

Thank you for your confidence in me, and please ignore WindowsX concerns about oscillation issues, the need for output coupling caps, or the other things he speaks of (again, with regards to the RWAK100 - I cannot speak of the modded unit he has).  I don't care what IEMs or headphones you plug into the RWAk100 - it isn't going to oscillate (assuming they are not some poorly designed DIY headphones or something that is just whacky).  The output stage is not even close to oscillation.   

As for the capacitor to GND after the 22-ohm resistor, I'm not sure if WindowsX bothered to measure it (I have), but its value is well below 1nF.   So were talking about a cut-off freq. above 7MHz - obviously it was not meant for anything related to the audio spectrum.  I looked into this a while ago before offering the RWAK100 mod - it isn't an issue.

Happy LISTENING - don't forget to listen to and enjoy your music! 
beerchug.gif

Vinnie

Mar 7, 2013 at 11:28 PM Post #3,044 of 9,165
If not needed, which I can not see that it is at all on the AK100, I would not add caps to the signal path. Less is more.

Mar 8, 2013 at 1:08 AM Post #3,045 of 9,165
Also, forgotten in this debate is that you can still buy the stock AK100.   If you are worried about the consequences of removing the resistor, you don't have to buy a modded version.  Many of us who have purchased the stock player are quite satisfied with it - and you get to keep your factory warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back