The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Feb 16, 2013 at 5:04 PM Post #2,701 of 9,165
Quote:

I initially contemplated keeping both, as the rwak's bass response with the ie800's is thunderous. The tera's bass is certainly more rolled off in comparison. Ideally I would like to keep both but my listening time is quite limited these days. I think the tera has a more natural and resolved midrange. For me, the tera is more musically involving. I am not experienced enough to be able to articulate why, I only know that during that last few days, I could grab either one with ease and I kept coming back to the tera. The rwak, otoh does have more treble extension. It is also a beautiful device, and I am always worried I am going to break/scratch it (which I haven't). The tera is more rugged and feels almost indestructible. I know some much prefer the interface of the ak/rwak, which I certainly understand. But I actually prefer the minimalist interface of the tera. In the end the combo of musicality/minimalist interface won me over.

I agree, I was also worried about scratching up the RWA AK100 lol. Those leather cases look like a good solution though.

Feb 16, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #2,703 of 9,165
Quote:
I agree, I was also worried about scratching up the RWA AK100 lol. Those leather cases look like a good solution though.

Hey lee730,... I just noticed your sig - I luv it!!! 
L3000.gif

Feb 16, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #2,706 of 9,165
I have an iRiver H140, with modifications and a 120gb hd. It has no paint left, has been all over the world. I don't care about scratches etc. I enjoy listening and don't want to worry about a ding or scratch, cases just add more bulk. That is me and I respect those that keep their equipment nice and pristine.

Feb 16, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #2,707 of 9,165
Quote:
I have an iRiver H140, with modifications and a 120gb hd. It has no paint left, has been all over the world. I don't care about scratches etc. I enjoy listening and don't want to worry about a ding or scratch, cases just add more bulk. That is me and I respect those that keep their equipment nice and pristine.

Envy!

Feb 16, 2013 at 7:40 PM Post #2,708 of 9,165
Quote:
The bass is surprisingly good. Well controlled and seems to go as what is recorded. I think the JH13's are the most accurate of the JH IEM's. I haven't heard the fitears.

Thanks.  I will have to decide if I want to go with customs or stick with universals.  I don't know at this point if I want to add the cost and time of going to an audiologist in addition to the cost of the phones.

Feb 16, 2013 at 7:46 PM Post #2,709 of 9,165
Quote:
I find the ie800 to pair very well with it. IMO, worth the money. I like it better than any other iem I have ever used (including customs) and they sound as good or better than most full size cans I have used. It's a shame they are so hard to find.

Sounds good.  Yeah, I noticed that crutchfield will not be getting stock until April.  Know of any reputable store with them sooner?  I found some at ebay but you never know what you get there plus the price is going over the list price plus shipping too.

Feb 16, 2013 at 8:07 PM Post #2,710 of 9,165
Quote:
Sounds good.  Yeah, I noticed that crutchfield will not be getting stock until April.  Know of any reputable store with them sooner?  I found some at ebay but you never know what you get there plus the price is going over the list price plus shipping too.

I know of no reputable retail source. I got mine from a fellow head-fier.

Feb 16, 2013 at 9:55 PM Post #2,711 of 9,165
I initially contemplated keeping both, as the rwak's bass response with the ie800's is thunderous. The tera's bass is certainly more rolled off in comparison. Ideally I would like to keep both but my listening time is quite limited these days. I think the tera has a more natural and resolved midrange. For me, the tera is more musically involving. I am not experienced enough to be able to articulate why, I only know that during that last few days, I could grab either one with ease and I kept coming back to the tera. The rwak, otoh does have more treble extension. It is also a beautiful device, and I am always worried I am going to break/scratch it (which I haven't). The tera is more rugged and feels almost indestructible. I know some much prefer the interface of the ak/rwak, which I certainly understand. But I actually prefer the minimalist interface of the tera. In the end the combo of musicality/minimalist interface won me over.

Thank you for describing the differences between the Tera & RWAK100. This is one of the few more descriptive & useful comparisons detailed to date.

Feb 16, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #2,712 of 9,165

I agree :) but I decided to keep both...

Feb 17, 2013 at 4:58 AM Post #2,713 of 9,165
Hi everybody

Sorry for posting this again, but I wonder why no one has replied. Am I in the wrong thread? Or has the question been answered already somewhere else? Again, would much appreciate any comments/thoughts on following:

I have the UE18 pro and am looking for a great DAP to go with it. Tried stock AK100 vs Colorfly C4 with various WAV files in a store this week. Liked SQ of C4 better. Now I'm wondering if the RWAK100 is closer to C4 with my UE18? Would much appreciate any comments on that. Maybe somebody has C4 and RWAK100 and can do a comparison?

Thanks in advance for any replies, it would sure help to decide if I should try the RWAK100 first. Do you think the SQ of RWAK100 vs C4 is worth trying out the RWAK100, even if I may have to re-sell it in the end bcs I still prefer the C4? Or am I even likely to keep the RWAK100 bcs it surpasses SQ of the C4 (both DAP would be combined with UE18 of course)? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back