The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Feb 16, 2013 at 4:07 AM Post #2,687 of 9,165
I have been using the JH13's today and the match is excellent. They sound more like an open headphone with a very natural out of head soundscape.

Feb 16, 2013 at 4:23 AM Post #2,688 of 9,165
[Snip!]
In case of problems (missing album art, etc) use metaflac command line tool. AK100 does not like the compilation tag (album name is wrong), I remove it using metaflac (metaflac --remove-tag=COMPILATION *.flac).

That is a brilliant tip on the CLI! I was already familiar with the compilation flag but a PITA to work on native MacOS GUI apps for something so trivial.

So this CLI tool is very welcome! Cheers!

Feb 16, 2013 at 7:01 AM Post #2,689 of 9,165
The tread highlights the problem with high end DAP's: well engineered sonics, but the manufacturers don't have the resources to develop software and apps that are expected at the price point.

Feb 16, 2013 at 8:01 AM Post #2,690 of 9,165
What do you think the best IEM is for the stock AK100 unamped?   Currently, I am using hifiman 262 and fischer audio tandems.  They both sound pretty good, but I am looking to step up.  Thanks.

I use both Westone 4r and Sennheiser IE 800 and both sound superb. Sennheiser maybe has the edge but that may be wishful Tjinking cos they cost almost double the price.

Feb 16, 2013 at 8:08 AM Post #2,691 of 9,165
Quote:
I have been using the JH13's today and the match is excellent. They sound more like an open headphone with a very natural out of head soundscape.

Thanks.  How is the bass response?   I noticed one of the problems with my armature-based GR10 is the flat and rough bass.

Have you compared the jh13 with the fitears?

Feb 16, 2013 at 9:33 AM Post #2,692 of 9,165
Quote:
I use both Westone 4r and Sennheiser IE 800 and both sound superb. Sennheiser maybe has the edge but that may be wishful Tjinking cos they cost almost double the price.

I was following the ie 800 thread a while back but gave up because there was so much speculation and no actual reviews.   thanks for the recommendation.   the 1k price tag though is pricey.  i would be more willing to bite if it was a significant improvement over less expensive options.

I will look over the reviews for the westone 4r.

Thanks.  I will add these to my list to consider.

Feb 16, 2013 at 11:12 AM Post #2,693 of 9,165
I find the ie800 to pair very well with it. IMO, worth the money. I like it better than any other iem I have ever used (including customs) and they sound as good or better than most full size cans I have used. It's a shame they are so hard to find.

Quote:
I was following the ie 800 thread a while back but gave up because there was so much speculation and no actual reviews.   thanks for the recommendation.   the 1k price tag though is pricey.  i would be more willing to bite if it was a significant improvement over less expensive options.

I will look over the reviews for the westone 4r.

Thanks.  I will add these to my list to consider.

Feb 16, 2013 at 11:46 AM Post #2,694 of 9,165
@ woodcans:

I see that you're selling your rwak100 on the fs forum so I take it that you prefer the tera player?
I know you posted a preliminary comparison earlier, but now that you've spent more time with both, can you make another comparison? Thanks! 

Chris

Feb 16, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #2,695 of 9,165
Hi everybody

I'm new here. Have UE18 and looking for a great DAP to go with it. Tried AK100 vs Colorfly C4 with various WAV files in a store this week. Liked SQ of C4 more. Wondering if RWAK100 is closer to C4 with my UE18, or even on same level? Would much appreciate any comments on that. Maybe somebody has C4 and RWAK100 and can do a comparison?

Feb 16, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #2,696 of 9,165
Quote:
lol I know what you mean. But heck if you have a free opportunity to hear it for yourself that is cherry. As they say "why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free" :wink:....

"Loves his 1Plus2 and Studio V 3rd ANV so much he's surely going to marry them."

When is the wedding? No milk just plenty of booze please 
biggrin.gif

Feb 16, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #2,698 of 9,165
i'm a new owner of ak100 for around 2 weeks. so far been loving it. pair with pico slim with jh13/eph100 and for the past few days been using asg1. i've been avoiding high end dap like hifiman, colorfly, dx100,etc for 3 main reasons (in order of importance) :

1. UI - those are terrible terrible UI. If its not idiotic, its slow like hell (in the case of dx100),
2. Size - i dont care if it can sounds like angel singing but if sizes like brick and not pocket friendly, forget it
3. Battery life

AK100 ticked all my requirements above. I've been sticking with mainstream player for all these times with sansa clip being my main player and cowon d2. Love both of players but its just pale in comparison with ak100. That's why I jumped on it.

Speaking about Altmann, i did audience it before I buy ak100. It may hold the title as the best SQ and smallest player of all. But it has the most idiotic UI and support of format. My music collection is all in FLAC and to re-rip it to WAV simply unthinkable for me. Plus price wise almost double. SQ wise not night and day vs ak100. In short I believe ak100 managed to balance between SQ and practicality (UI, size and battery life) as an audiophile DAP.

Feb 16, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #2,699 of 9,165
Quote:
Thanks.  How is the bass response?   I noticed one of the problems with my armature-based GR10 is the flat and rough bass.

Have you compared the jh13 with the fitears?

The bass is surprisingly good. Well controlled and seems to go as what is recorded. I think the JH13's are the most accurate of the JH IEM's. I haven't heard the fitears.

Feb 16, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #2,700 of 9,165
Quote:
@ woodcans:

I see that you're selling your rwak100 on the fs forum so I take it that you prefer the tera player?
I know you posted a preliminary comparison earlier, but now that you've spent more time with both, can you make another comparison? Thanks! 

Chris

I initially contemplated keeping both, as the rwak's bass response with the ie800's is thunderous. The tera's bass is certainly more rolled off in comparison. Ideally I would like to keep both but my listening time is quite limited these days. I think the tera has a more natural and resolved midrange. For me, the tera is more musically involving. I am not experienced enough to be able to articulate why, I only know that during that last few days, I could grab either one with ease and I kept coming back to the tera. The rwak, otoh does have more treble extension. It is also a beautiful device, and I am always worried I am going to break/scratch it (which I haven't). The tera is more rugged and feels almost indestructible. I know some much prefer the interface of the ak/rwak, which I certainly understand. But I actually prefer the minimalist interface of the tera. In the end the combo of musicality/minimalist interface won me over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back