The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Feb 5, 2013 at 4:53 AM Post #2,446 of 9,165
I (finaly) received my Fostex TH900 today and I confirm that the RWAK100 CAN drive it correctly wirhout any additional AMP ( IMO).

Lol...did you have any doubts :wink:??

Anyway, there's a weird Fujiya re-share of an iRiver FB post. It's in Japanese but the translation is not clear to me :

Astell&Kern AK100のマウスコンピューター様の #ポタ研 出展のお知らせ!バージョンアップもいい感じ~ http://www.iriver.jp/company/press/170.html
Mouse computer-like Astell &Kern AK100 # announcement of pot lab! Version upgrade also feel-http://www.iriver.jp/company/press/170.html (Translated by Bing)

My question here is what's this version upgrade!!?? Something beyond 1.3.0? New AK100 DAP replacement? Will find out soon enough this weekend.

Feb 5, 2013 at 5:14 AM Post #2,447 of 9,165
Quote:
I read of someone saying they had a 128 but could not get it formatted to work. I didn't know they were available either.

I think you may be referring to Viscerious post on the Tera Player? I know he did mention having issues with his SDXC card (sandisk) on this unit.

Feb 5, 2013 at 6:13 AM Post #2,448 of 9,165
I think you may be referring to Viscerious post on the Tera Player? I know he did mention having issues with his SDXC card (sandisk) on this unit.

Yer, my tera player was having issues with the 128 gb Sandisk but after using a Transcend 128 it worked very well :)

Never seen a 128 microSD...

Feb 5, 2013 at 6:14 AM Post #2,449 of 9,165
Quote:

Anyway, there's a weird Fujiya re-share of an iRiver FB post. It's in Japanese but the translation is not clear to me :

Astell&Kern AK100のマウスコンピューター様の #ポタ研 出展のお知らせ!バージョンアップもいい感じ~ http://www.iriver.jp/company/press/170.html
Mouse computer-like Astell &Kern AK100 # announcement of pot lab! Version upgrade also feel-http://www.iriver.jp/company/press/170.html (Translated by Bing)

My question here is what's this version upgrade!!?? Something beyond 1.3.0? New AK100 DAP replacement? Will find out soon enough this weekend.

Now I am interested................
size]

Please keep us informed Anakchan

Feb 5, 2013 at 6:24 AM Post #2,451 of 9,165
Quote:
Quote:
If I understand correctly, the conversion fixed the issue? I guess you could go back from that to MP3 and see if it fixes the issue...

I also doubt that mp3tag or other de-AmazonTagging tools would fix the issue any more than Kid3 would... this is strange indeed. I still think it may be a somewhat corrupt download, and would suggest to re-download at least one of the faulty tracks to test this, maybe by alternate means (newest version of Amazon Downloader? Direct?)

Looks like it was the copyright info in tags.  I was able to delete it in Media Rage and have the song show up with the missing 9 seconds.  Now to do this with all the Amazon songs...

Feb 5, 2013 at 7:22 AM Post #2,452 of 9,165
Quote:

It's nothing.  There's an exhibition for all portable audio stuff call "Portaken Winter 2013" and iRiver will be exhibiting the AK100 that's all.

Feb 5, 2013 at 10:10 AM Post #2,453 of 9,165
Apple does this via a logic from itunes. At least for the Beatles and for The Eagles,but not for rather unknown groups like The Stanley Clarke Trio. So I think that was important to Steve Jobs, just like listening gapless to Stg Pepper. That is why Apple has all that and others don't. And he obviously was no Audiophile like us!
Exactly- why should I have to do either of these?  They can program the firmware so that any artist/album starting with "the" is filed with the word following "the" instead- "the" is completely ignored from the title.  Most other decent music software does this.  Come on, iRiver!

Feb 5, 2013 at 10:24 AM Post #2,454 of 9,165
Quote:
Apple does this via a logic from itunes. At least for the Beatles and for The Eagles,but not for rather unknown groups like The Stanley Clarke Trio. So I think that was important to Steve Jobs, just like listening gapless to Stg Pepper. That is why Apple has all that and others don't. And he obviously was no Audiophile like us!

He liked vinyl, apparently.......

Feb 5, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #2,456 of 9,165
I don't mean to 'Start a fire' but I'm trying my best, finding a way (into my brain) to buy this thing but now I'm finding 2 gripes with it (and thats not including the volume knob, that I mentioned earlier)

1. I see many of you plugging this into amps. Does AK100 really need additional gear? For the price I was under the conclusion that these didnt need anything but good music files (flac, 320mp3) and a good IEM.

2. Is pc mag reputable. they gave this a 2/5

I'm beginning to think because of the small size, chances for adding dac/amps are now increased. Something like DX100 many wouldnt think of adding an amp/dac.

Feb 5, 2013 at 5:40 PM Post #2,457 of 9,165
I don't mean to 'Start a fire' but I'm trying my best, finding a way (into my brain) to buy this thing but now I'm finding 2 gripes with it (and thats not including the volume knob, that I mentioned earlier)

1. I see many of you plugging this into amps. Does AK100 really need additional gear? For the price I was under the conclusion that these didnt need anything but good music files (flac, 320mp3) and a good IEM.

2. Is pc mag reputable. they gave this a 2/5

I'm beginning to think because of the small size, chances for adding dac/amps are now increased. Something like DX100 many wouldnt think of adding an amp/dac.

Whats wrong with the volume knob ? Have you handled the unit yet ? Until you do so I would await judgement.
I was worried before I bought it, and have found it to be a non issue.

I don't have an ak 100 so I can't comment on people using amps with it. I have no need with the rwak100.

PC Mag review is what it is, I find it to be kind of a joke. 6moons is doing a review too.
While I am not always in agreement with them, 6moons is pretty thorough usually.

Just buy it from a reputable seller with a return policy, and return it if you don't like it.

Or don't :)

Feb 5, 2013 at 5:46 PM Post #2,458 of 9,165
In regards to the PC Mag review - did you read it?
If what you are looking for is a camera, wifi, etc, then I would agree with the review.....but I assume you are more concerned with sound quality, etc. If so, then the review from PC Mag agreed the unit sounded great, but thought for the price it should include more features.

Therefore I tend to agree with knee - that review is kind of a joke.

Feb 5, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #2,459 of 9,165
Quote:
In regards to the PC Mag review - did you read it?
If what you are looking for is a camera, wifi, etc, then I would agree with the review.....but I assume you are more concerned with sound quality, etc. If so, then the review from PC Mag agreed the unit sounded great, but thought for the price it should include more features.

Therefore I tend to agree with knee - that review is kind of a joke.

Thats the thing, PC Mag is saying AK100 sounds great but many here are posting pics with amps (and thats worrying me because I dont want an amp). I dont want to walk around and someone mention "why arent you using an amp with it"

Maybe I'll have to buy one & hear it for myself.

I like the small factor & if it lives up to it sound, I get get rid of many of my gear, cause they are piling up!

Feb 5, 2013 at 6:17 PM Post #2,460 of 9,165
Quote:

I am not sure about the AK100 but the RWAK100 will not need an amp. Period.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back