The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Jan 28, 2013 at 2:21 AM Post #2,191 of 9,165
Portaphile is definitely one of the better portable amps I've had the pleasure of owning.  I don't miss the standalone amps I used to own.  Maybe a little but not much.  Soundstage width and imaging are quite excellent on the 627, best I've heard in a portable amp.  With the Portaphile out of the chain I'm definitely missing these attributes as the amp section of AK100 is not as good as of that of the Portaphile which it is not unexpected.  I will combine the AK + 627 tomorrow night.

Quote:

That's interesting that you've mentioned Portaphile. That's at least twice now I've heard someone mentioned about that amp. I wrote a review about the Ortofon MHd-Q7 (which I love when it's paired with the RWAK100), but someone mentioned Portaphile has even wider soundstage and deeper imaging than the MHd-Q7. I should find a way to demo that Portaphile one day.

At least with the gear I have access to, I found something really magical about the balanced IC of the -dB/Rx Mk3. Agreed about the scratchiness of the pot, and even hiss depending on gain setting. But once set I usually don't touch it that much. Maybe it's specific to the -dB/Rx Mk3 or maybe it's just balanced backend in general. I've never tried the iBasso PB/DB2.

Jan 28, 2013 at 2:43 AM Post #2,192 of 9,165
I was seriously considering replacing my solo with the new version that came out. Then go balanced in and balanced out. The new one also has a significantly longer battery life than the old version. 

I think I ended up not going that solution because my source would be iphone or ipod and neither can play the higher resolution files. 

Jan 28, 2013 at 1:28 PM Post #2,193 of 9,165
Is there a carry case on the market for the AK-100. I have been searching for one but google is not being very helpful.

Thanks

Jan 28, 2013 at 1:29 PM Post #2,194 of 9,165
Quote:
Is there a carry case on the market for the AK-100. I have been searching for one but google is not being very helpful.

Thanks

Search here instead of google. You'll see some pix and some links.

Edit: Even simpler....just look on the top right corner of this page. There are pix you can just click on!

Jan 28, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #2,195 of 9,165
Quote:

Search here instead of google. You'll see some pix and some links.

Edit: Even simpler....just look on the top right corner of this page. There are pix you can just click on.

Thanks

That case is nice. I guess I need to read the whole thread anyways.

Jan 28, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #2,196 of 9,165
I was seriously considering replacing my solo with the new version that came out. Then go balanced in and balanced out. The new one also has a significantly longer battery life than the old version. 

I think I ended up not going that solution because my source would be iphone or ipod and neither can play the higher resolution files. 

I keep My Class solo , This Class solo is still One of The best portable dac With 2.0 volt gain .

I have The Class - dB , SQ is better than Class solo , but The gain 1,69 volt is Good Onky for iems and Low impendamce headphone .

Please wait for White Class dB and R Will launch their new High gain 2.0 volt version , This is Good for High impendamce headphone .

Jan 28, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #2,198 of 9,165
Quote:
I have ordered This leathfer case for My AK 100
It is on The Way to Me :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/iRiver-Astell-Kern-AK100-Genuine-Italian-Leather-Case-2-Color-Black-Brown-/290848643599

Thanks, I will be ordering one as well.

Jan 28, 2013 at 4:35 PM Post #2,199 of 9,165
One question,

Since this supports 2 micro sd cards, I was wondering whether in album view (or any other artist, song etc.) is it categorized depending upon which micro sd is loaded first or does it provide a general album view to both micro sd card ie. as you scroll down the album view, everything is ordered.

Jan 28, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #2,200 of 9,165
One question,

Since this supports 2 micro sd cards, I was wondering whether in album view (or any other artist, song etc.) is it categorized depending upon which micro sd is loaded first or does it provide a general album view to both micro sd card ie. as you scroll down the album view, everything is ordered.

It sets both SD Cards as if they were 1 in album view...

Jan 28, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #2,201 of 9,165
Quote:
One question,

Actually, you have both options.  It does sort by album, artist, etc from all of the drives - including the internal drive - into one single view.   However, you also have the option of navigating by drive and folder manually.  I found this a useful option if you just added a new album but don't won't to do a scan right then.  You can navigate to the folder manually and listen immediately.

Jan 28, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #2,202 of 9,165
Actually, you have both options.  It does sort by album, artist, etc from all of the drives - including the internal drive - into one single view.   However, you also have the option of navigating by drive and folder manually.  I found this a useful option if you just added a new album but don't won't to do a scan right then.  You can navigate to the folder manually and listen immediately.

I think the only thing I don't really like with the RWAK/AK is the library scan esp with 2 SD cards... It just takes sooooo loooong...

Jan 28, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #2,204 of 9,165
How long? Mine took less than a couple minutes....

After adding album art to my 2000++ tracks around 5 mins, especially the 192/24s, those take a while to read.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back