The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Jan 17, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #1,967 of 9,165
Quote:
A response from iRiver. Funny how their responses are differing....
rolleyes.gif

[size=9.0pt]Hi Jim,[/size]

[size=9.0pt]Thank you for contacting iriver customer support. [/size]

[size=9.0pt]After receiving a response from our development team, we have the answers to your questions:[/size]

[size=9.0pt]1.  Unfortunately the m3u [/size][size=9.0pt]is not supported but the [/size][size=9.0pt]PLS type playlist files are.  [/size][size=9.0pt]When you create the playlist from the device or the iriver Plus 4 software, it will be saved as a PLS file.  [/size]
[size=9.0pt]2.  [/size][size=9.0pt]The device is detected on [/size][size=9.0pt]Media Monkey or Jriver [/size][size=9.0pt]but any functionalities of those softwares beyond that, we cannot guarantee that there will be no problems since those softwares are not from our company.  The device is designed to be used with our iriver’s Plus 4 software program so we strongly recommend that you use our program to avoid any malfunctions of the device.  [/size]
[size=9.0pt]3.  The gapless playback is not supported and unfortunately there is no plan to support it in the future.  [/size]
[size=9.0pt]4.  There is no plan on changing the output impedance of the device[/size][size=9.0pt].  The reason for this, is because it was purposefully designed to [/size][size=9.0pt]support headphones with high impedance so that users can listen to high-definition music.  Since the AK100 produces a very flat sound balance, high impedance headphones with flat frequency responses will need to be used with the AK100 in order to hear the music as it was meant to be heard. If you would like to check out our recommendations for headphones to be used with the AK100, you can check them out here: http://www.astellnkern.com/eng/htm/showroom/02_showroom.asp.  [/size]

[size=9.0pt]If you have any further questions or concerns, please email us back at any time.  [/size]

[size=9.0pt]Thanks & Regards,[/size]

[size=9.0pt]iriver[/size]
[size=8.0pt]Customer & Tech Support[/size]
[size=8.0pt]949-336-4540/4541[/size]

Wait........Who's Jim? 

Jan 17, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #1,968 of 9,165
The thing about the inline resistor benefiting high impedance phones makes no sense to me. Can someone explain this? Or, can iRiver actually attempt to explain this?

Jan 17, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #1,969 of 9,165
Quote:
The thing about the inline resistor benefiting high impedance phones makes no sense to me. Can someone explain this? Or, can iRiver actually attempt to explain this?

I don't get it either. First we hear they will address gapless playback issues along with the Apple lossless codec. We even heard from a rep that they will address the impedance issues. Now we hear otherwise for both. All I can say guys is don't expect this unit to ever support apple lossles. Basically what we are hearing is all conflicting information.

BTW I'm Jim Steve :wink:.

Jan 17, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #1,970 of 9,165
Quote:
Wait........Who's Jim? 

Jim is Lee730's real name. They're responding to his email to Customer Support. They have solidified my resolve to shun this company like the plague as they are more full of **** than a barn full of cows.

Jan 17, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #1,971 of 9,165
Quote:
Jim is Lee730's real name. They're responding to his email to Customer Support. They have solidified my resolve to shun this company like the plague as they are more full of **** than a barn full of cows.

Yeah I'm still on the fence on selling this unit or not. I have to feel it is a clear upgrade over my Studio V for me to really keep it at this point. I'm gonna give it more time to burn in of course to be fair. But the fact that they say they won't fix the gapless playback, and m3u support is quite disappointing for such an expensive DAP. I tried using the iriver media player program and to say that it "sucks ass" is an understatement.....

Jan 18, 2013 at 12:07 AM Post #1,972 of 9,165
Quote:
A response from iRiver. Funny how their responses are differing....
rolleyes.gif

[size=9.0pt]4.  There is no plan on changing the output impedance of the device[/size][size=9.0pt].  The reason for this, is because it was purposefully designed to [/size][size=9.0pt]support headphones with high impedance so that users can listen to high-definition music. [/size]

Good thinking iRiver! I hate that low impedance thousand dollar plus IEMs are incapable of playing high-definition music..
cool.gif

Oh, and that also makes a ton of sense because its impossible for a low impedance DAP to work with both high and low impedance headphones.
confused_face_2.gif

Seriously, why are these guys trying to bullish*t audiophiles?  Do they really think we can't smell it??

Jan 18, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #1,973 of 9,165
Isn't Jim, James Kirk??

Good thinking iRiver! I hate that low impedance thousand dollar plus IEMs are incapable of playing high-definition music..:cool:

Oh, and that also makes a ton of sense because its impossible for a low impedance DAP to work with both high and low impedance headphones.:confused_face_2:

Seriously, why are these guys trying to bullish*t audiophiles?  Do they really think we can't smell it??

Actually it's cunning....cos they may start selling the AK200 in the future with 1ohm output impedance & charge $895 for it :wink:.

Jan 18, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #1,974 of 9,165
Quote:
Isn't Jim, James Kirk??
Actually it's cunning....cos they may start selling the AK200 in the future with 1ohm output impedance & charge $895 for it :wink:.

Aww come on you know as well as I do when the DX50 comes out we'll be chucking the RWA AK100 in the trash :p.

Jan 18, 2013 at 12:19 AM Post #1,975 of 9,165
It's impossible to just chalk it up to somebody making a boo-boo and give them a pass on this. I think an extra tall set of Clark's Wellies will pair nicely with iriver's high output of b.s.

Jan 18, 2013 at 1:10 AM Post #1,978 of 9,165
Burning in at 40-50 with IEM...70 with dummy load jack...
Vinnie made me a 24k dummy load which I burnt @ full volume (before I accidentally broke the dummy load wire).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back