The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Jan 8, 2013 at 11:10 PM Post #1,697 of 9,165
Quote:
well, i am waiting for both my gear back, AK100 and UE18pro, i really dont want to use amping, but after do some research, seems like i have to look for the amp.

Well try it out first and see if you like it. Just for me I am use to much better in terms of amplification. But who knows maybe the amp could miraculously open up (a lot lol).

Jan 8, 2013 at 11:22 PM Post #1,698 of 9,165
Quote:
Well try it out first and see if you like it. Just for me I am use to much better in terms of amplification. But who knows maybe the amp could miraculously open up (a lot lol).

Is the AK100 warmer sounding than your other daps?

Jan 8, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #1,699 of 9,165
Quote:
Is the AK100 warmer sounding than your other daps?

Nope. I found the bass to be a bit flat in comparison. When I amp it then I generally put on EQ Flat as the bass is a bit too happy then. Even the Studio V has more bass presence and slam when comparing them un-amped. The DX100 definitely has more bass than a Stock RWA AK100. Still since this is a new unit it will need to undergo burn in as I'm sure that will help a little bit (I sure f%%%in% hope so! lol).

Jan 8, 2013 at 11:33 PM Post #1,700 of 9,165
Nope. I found the bass to be a bit flat in comparison. When I amp it then I generally put on EQ Flat as the bass is a bit too happy then. Even the Studio V has more bass presence and slam when comparing them un-amped. The DX100 definitely has more bass than a Stock RWA AK100. Still since this is a new unit it will need to undergo burn in as I'm sure that will help a little bit (I sure fu%%%%% hope so!).

Well I'm happy to sell you my DX100 :wink:.

Seriously though, interesting that my findings are different from yours. I'd be curious to hear your opinions after the RWAK100's been fully burnt in. Admittedly my tests had been with my other IEMs but not the 1+2 yet.

I'll check again tonight as I've yet to factory reset my DX100 so I can compare side by side.

Jan 8, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #1,701 of 9,165
Quote:
Well I'm happy to sell you my DX100 :wink:.
Seriously though, interesting that my findings are different from yours. I'd be curious to hear your opinions after the RWAK100's been fully burnt in. Admittedly my tests had been with my other IEMs but not the 1+2 yet.
I'll check again tonight as I've yet to factory reset my DX100 so I can compare side by side.

K I look foward to that and you can PM me if you feel more comfortable :wink:. The Studio V is still stealing the show as far as I'm concerned. To be honest I'd still have sold the DX100 at this point. They just pair that well together....
smily_headphones1.gif

Regarding loading songs. The above poster is right. It takes hella-long to load files! Plus since my OCZ Vertex Turbo is broken and I'm back on a regular HD I can't load 2 SD cards at once without completely bogging down my PC :frowning2:.... Ticktock,ticktock :p).

Jan 8, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #1,702 of 9,165
Some amps or dacs need more burn-in some don't. What has been the general feeling about the AK100 and changes with time, if any?

Jan 8, 2013 at 11:57 PM Post #1,703 of 9,165
So far it seems most are quite happy with it which is still giving me some hope on it. Just so far I'm not that impressed with it as a single unit. Now add my T1 amp and it is up to snuff to compare with the DX100 yet it is still smaller than a single DX100 unit :).

Jan 9, 2013 at 12:56 AM Post #1,707 of 9,165
Quote:
whats gear r u using now? AK100 + T1 + 18pro?

Right now my preferred gear is Tralucent 1Plus2 + Studio V. But when using it with the RWA AK100 I'm preferring 1Plus2 + Tralucent T1 Amp + RWA AK100. I set the amp to half volume and put the RWA around 34 to 40+ volume depending on the track. I also turn on EQ flat since the bass is a bit bloated otherwise. Still I'm waiting on the RWA AK100 to finish downloading music. Once that is over it won't take nearly this long to add new tracks lol :). I'll be able to get more impressions once past that hurtle :p.

One thing I'm really no in agreement though is accessing music being faster than the DX100. Well not in terms of accessing music via playlists on the DX100. Actually I compare the smoothness of that method to an iphone4 accessing music via playlists. Maybe not quite as smooth but very very close to it. So in that regards the DX100 is faster for accessing music. But the iRiver UI is better as a whole. Just wanted to point that out. As the iRiver does slightly lag when selecting music folders. Not major but it is noticeable.

Jan 9, 2013 at 5:17 AM Post #1,709 of 9,165
Contact Vinnie from Red Wine Audio. You can go to their website or even PM him. Look a little further back in the thread for a post from him and PM him. To my knowledge they are out of units now but he is working to try get more units in stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back