The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Dec 17, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #931 of 9,165
Quote:
If you get the Tera player I want to borrow it! :wink: lol

To be honest at some point I may very well just get it.

I know what you mean. I've read the Tera Player to have "better" SQ than the DX100 - sorry I can't recall how it's "better". Will need to do a little searching.

Price-wise Tera Player is still a little more than the "RWAK100" :-

DX-100 = $830
RWAK100 = $1020
Tera Player = $1106 (but already shipping incl)

Lucky I'm in Japan where I have access to 2nd hand and new AK100's but $320 for a mod is still somewhat steep for me.

P.S. curious to see what this new iBasso rumour is all about and where it lies with the AK100.

Dec 17, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #932 of 9,165
Yeah $320.00 is quite steep for a mod to fix a flawed device. I think iRiver should just own up to it and do a recall on all their units and offer to do the changes for free. Not only would it benefit everyone in the portable Audiophile community it would greatly benefit their own pockets in the long run. I've never seen it worth chasing pennies over Benjamins. In fact that very attitude puts companies out of business.
wink_face.gif

Dec 17, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #933 of 9,165
Quote:
More expensive than the DX100...it's $700 for the base unit & $320 for the mod (excluding shipping back 'n forth).

Damn at $320, might as well buy an external amp....

Hell I think I may just do that....

Dec 17, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #934 of 9,165
Dec 18, 2012 at 1:00 AM Post #936 of 9,165
Well, there still will be those after the "smallest best sounding", yet practically usable DAP & willing to pay premium for.

If I was still in the old job I had before & if I were still single with disposable income, I probably would have gone for it myself.

Dec 18, 2012 at 2:43 AM Post #937 of 9,165
Quote:
Just get a DX100 instead....

I would.... if the battery was better and/or if we were able to use USB Power packs.....  7 hour play time just won't cut it.

Dec 18, 2012 at 2:50 AM Post #938 of 9,165
Quote:

I would.... if the battery was better and/or if we were able to use USB Power packs.....  7 hour play time just won't cut it.

You can use certain battery packs to extend the life. I think from 3 to 4 extra hours playback time with it. Also the DX100 doesn't take very long to charge from a full battery drain. A little over 2 hours from a complete drain to fully charged. That is extremely fast to be honest for a battery of its size.

Dec 18, 2012 at 10:32 AM Post #940 of 9,165
So it looks like RWA's going to sell modified AK100's (nicely name RWAK100 :wink:...thx Vinnie!) for $895. This pricing is much more palatable IMHO.

Dec 18, 2012 at 10:42 AM Post #942 of 9,165
Quote:
So it looks like RWA's going to sell modified AK100's (nicely name RWAK100 :wink:...thx Vinnie!) for $895. This pricing is much more palatable IMHO.

Interested, but the price is a bit high to jump on in blind faith alone. Would love to hear if RWA will offer loaner sets of their AK-100s with a deposit.

Dec 18, 2012 at 10:51 AM Post #943 of 9,165
Quote:
Interested, but the price is a bit high to jump on in blind faith alone. Would love to hear if RWA will offer loaner sets of their AK-100s with a deposit.

Hmmm...I think if RWA did that, it'll be an extended "value-add" gesture to the community but is really shouldn't be expected of them. After all, iBasso doesn't send out DX100 loaners, nor Hifiman of their HM-901, nor Altmann's Tera Player (with this being the most expensive of the lot!).

Dec 18, 2012 at 10:57 AM Post #944 of 9,165
Quote:

Hmmm...I think if RWA did that, it'll be an extended "value-add" gesture to the community but is really shouldn't be expected of them. After all, iBasso doesn't send out DX100 loaners, nor Hifiman of their HM-901, nor Altmann's Tera Player (with this being the most expensive of the lot!).

A very fair point! However, all of those items were available directly from the manufacturer (which have return policies). I am uncertain if the RWA mod (obviously third party) would cause the warranty the AK-100 comes with to become null and void after the changes.

When modifications to existing products are made, I think it would be a nice and potentially profitable gesture to allow some of the really interested buyers to try it out (and buy it if they end up liking it of course!). Otherwise, I'll likely be waiting on the sidelines for those first movers bold enough to take the plunge.

Dec 18, 2012 at 11:32 AM Post #945 of 9,165
Quote:
A very fair point! However, all of those items were available directly from the manufacturer (which have return policies). I am uncertain if the RWA mod (obviously third party) would cause the warranty the AK-100 comes with to become null and void after the changes.

When modifications to existing products are made, I think it would be a nice and potentially profitable gesture to allow some of the really interested buyers to try it out (and buy it if they end up liking it of course!). Otherwise, I'll likely be waiting on the sidelines for those first movers bold enough to take the plunge.

I am pretty darn sure that opening up the device, and soldering in wires, would void the warranty. 

I would be OK so long as there is a reasonable return period. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back