The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Dec 15, 2012 at 4:09 AM Post #886 of 9,165
Quote:
I'd be interested too. This is speculation, but:
- I doubt that the AK100 will handle the whole proprietary Apple playlist thing as easily as iDevices do, even if the audio formats will be supported.
- I don't know of any player/manager in all the years I have dealt with these (Apple or otherwise) that would duplicate the actual tracks because they're in different lists: they're just that: a list. If anything, you might get error messages or skips from missing tracks. Most, incl. iTunes, try to copy over the tracks ONCE if you copy a playlist that contains tracks not already on the player.
- iTunes can export playlists in a variety of formats incl. common standards like .m3u, so it would already be a great help if the AK100 could process one of those (even if the associated tracks need to be copied over manually)
- Of course, without ALAC support on the AK100 for now and no -default- FLAC support in iTunes creating usable playlists might be a bit more tricky...
- iRiver have their own manager but I haven't checked yet if there is even a Mac version... and as much as I'm not particularly fond of iTunes in any version, almost all alternatives I have tried were either flawed in a different way or plain worse...

Once you go FLAC you never go back :wink:. Just get Media Monkey and rip in FLAC and be done with it. Actually I think it may even support ALAC so that would give you more options. I use m3u files. Much more organized and easy to work with. Plus I control the program it doesn't control me :wink:.

Dec 15, 2012 at 4:57 AM Post #887 of 9,165
Quote:

With the Vinnie mod may be available one day, and the fact that iRiver answered somewhere that they WILL support in the future ALAC and AAC, this little DAP is really becoming interesting.

So... this make me even more interested to have answers to my question above that did not got much answer.   So, can someone tell me if the UI is really convenient with 1000 files to manage through several playlists, and... answer to my 2 "iTune" questions above.

many thanks in advance

I very much want to know too  
popcorn.gif

Dec 15, 2012 at 8:39 AM Post #891 of 9,165
Must take the player forever to load though.

The COWON J3 takes under a minute to load my partially used 32gb card whilst the AK100 takes couple of minutes. 

Quote:
I am really enjoying the iRiver. I bought a couple of these 64gig micro sdxc cards, formatted in one partition FAT. I have 150gigs to work with.. I love this player.

Ken

Dec 15, 2012 at 9:31 AM Post #892 of 9,165
So, of those that have the AK100, how is the impedance affecting your iems' and/or headphones' performance? Has there been any noticeable problems and are you pairing it with an external amp?

Dec 15, 2012 at 10:22 AM Post #893 of 9,165
Quote:
So, of those that have the AK100, how is the impedance affecting your iems' and/or headphones' performance? Has there been any noticeable problems and are you pairing it with an external amp?

Works great with FTG334s on its own.  No amp necessary.  Playing everything from 16/44.1 through 24/192 with most of the files being 24/96.

Using HE-500s via a Grado 1/4 to 1/8 converter, I felt it performed much better when amped with an ALO MK3b.  Without the amp I thought it sounded decent but volume was maxed out.  Pairing with an amp however, took the experience to another stratosphere.  

I'm excited to hear more about Vinnie's mods. 

Dec 15, 2012 at 11:46 AM Post #895 of 9,165
Quote:

Sounds like it's just a couple resistors that he removed. That should be an easy enough DIY...I am going to find out in January, after I get UMs, I think.

If you read RWA's FB page, Vinnie says it's harder than the iMod (or diyMod in our case). He's not certain if he'll provide the service yet but if he does, there's a chance it'll be more expensive than the iMod. This leads me to think that there's a little more to what he said of just "removing resistors". Even if it's harder, it would be nice if there was free DIY instructions for this though but I have a feeling that it'll end up being a paid service by RWA for now (which possibly may be fair enough since Vinnie pioneered the AK100 mod).

Dec 15, 2012 at 1:48 PM Post #896 of 9,165
That 22 Ohms didn't fall in the player by chance. It is obviously there for a reason. If  Vinnie really knows what he is doing he might want to explain why iRiver engineers decided to put it there in the first place?
PS: via PM is fine 
wink.gif

Dec 15, 2012 at 3:30 PM Post #897 of 9,165
Personally, I think Vinnie should be able to post freely here in this thread. He's not offending anyone, and iriver isn't a sponsor. Unless there's something I'm possibly missing? If so, then my apologies all around. :p

Dec 15, 2012 at 3:44 PM Post #898 of 9,165
Quote:
Personally, I think Vinnie should be able to post freely here in this thread. He's not offending anyone, and iriver isn't a sponsor. Unless there's something I'm possibly missing? If so, then my apologies all around.
tongue.gif

I agree, We have a dedicated Imod thread which has many pages of information on how to bypass sections in the Apple products, not sure how this is different. Plus if anything it will generate interest for the AK100.

Dec 15, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #899 of 9,165
Quote:
That 22 Ohms didn't fall in the player by chance. It is obviously there for a reason. If  Vinnie really knows what he is doing he might want to explain why iRiver engineers decided to put it there in the first place?
PS: via PM is fine 
wink.gif

If it isn't in the feedback loop or for stability it's fine to pull but it does seem odd. Perhaps it's part of the original prototype circuit to protect from shorts and the final output device doesn't require it (hopefully).

Dec 15, 2012 at 7:43 PM Post #900 of 9,165
It's not a feedback loop, not a filter, and not for stability.
Perhaps it was put there for protection if the headphone
cable was shorted - but what headphone amp likes to
to shorted and puts 22 ohm resistors on the output
for this? They only get in the way optimal sound quality,
so OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!!!! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back