The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Nov 11, 2012 at 9:18 AM Post #466 of 9,165
465 posts so far, and how many of you have even been in the same room with an AK100, let alone had time to audition a properly burned-in, warmed up one with your own music, and your own headphones or iems?   2?  3?

i am lucky enough to have a sample that i am listening to as i type this, using sm3 v2s.  i will try it with other iems and headphones, and compare it to other DAPs......    i'll tell you right now, though, it shows great promise sonically.   Normally i would not post this kind of thing, but i am getting tired of products being "tried (as in trial) in the media" and not given an actual audition.

as to points of fact:  it is a rotary encoder, not a pot - not sure whether it controls volume analog or digitally....  and it does get slightly above room temp, driving sm3 v2s (will see with other cans/iems....

as to sonic opinion - I am still listening to it - and i have plenty of other good gear to listen to....  more to follow

Nov 11, 2012 at 11:18 AM Post #468 of 9,165
Quote:
465 posts so far, and how many of you have even been in the same room with an AK100, let alone had time to audition a properly burned-in, warmed up one with your own music, and your own headphones or iems?   2?  3?

i am lucky enough to have a sample that i am listening to as i type this, using sm3 v2s.  i will try it with other iems and headphones, and compare it to other DAPs......    i'll tell you right now, though, it shows great promise sonically.   Normally i would not post this kind of thing, but i am getting tired of products being "tried (as in trial) in the media" and not given an actual audition.

as to points of fact:  it is a rotary encoder, not a pot - not sure whether it controls volume analog or digitally....  and it does get slightly above room temp, driving sm3 v2s (will see with other cans/iems....

as to sonic opinion - I am still listening to it - and i have plenty of other good gear to listen to....  more to follow

Thanks Fzman, i think this little DAP by iRiver has a great potential, so please keep us updated with the SQ with all your headphones and IEM's.

Nov 11, 2012 at 11:30 AM Post #469 of 9,165
@fzman, I appreciate if you can be elaborate in your findings, esp. how good 192/24 or 96/24 is?

Nov 11, 2012 at 12:43 PM Post #470 of 9,165
Maybe this will improve the SQ, but i will still want to be able to use it with my W4R, and to get a normal sound
wink.gif

For guys who own the AK100, you may be interested to know that AK will be collaborating with Suyama of FItEar fame, to produce a earphone specially tuned for the AK100 - the AK100 Original Tune Earphone (AK100-111is), a universal model.

Nov 11, 2012 at 7:44 PM Post #471 of 9,165
Quote:

So, will Music Direct carry the iRiver soon?

Nov 11, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #473 of 9,165
Guys,

I have to come out of my posting shell here and pile on to what Fzman is saying. I have had one for almost a month now and it can not be pried out of my hands. I use it with my JH13s and FitEat ToGo! 334s and am loving it. I am using it with LCD2/3 and a number of larger cans in via mini to mini with the Mk3 amp. The iRiver really shines with FLAC 24/88,96 and 192 files...I will post more later. 

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Nov 11, 2012 at 9:30 PM Post #474 of 9,165
Quote:
Maybe this will improve the SQ, but i will still want to be able to use it with my W4R, and to get a normal sound
wink.gif

For guys who own the AK100, you may be interested to know that AK will be collaborating with Suyama of FItEar fame, to produce a earphone specially tuned for the AK100 - the AK100 Original Tune Earphone (AK100-111is), a universal model.

Now where did I see that line before? :wink:

Nov 12, 2012 at 4:16 AM Post #476 of 9,165
Quote:
Quote:
wink.gif

Now where did I see that line before? :wink:

That was not my writing , just copied to share with you guys here..Have nothing to do with the guys from the other forums.

Nov 12, 2012 at 8:52 AM Post #478 of 9,165
Quote:
Guys,

I have to come out of my posting shell here and pile on to what Fzman is saying. I have had one for almost a month now and it can not be pried out of my hands. I use it with my JH13s and FitEat ToGo! 334s and am loving it. I am using it with LCD2/3 and a number of larger cans in via mini to mini with the Mk3 amp. The iRiver really shines with FLAC 24/88,96 and 192 files...I will post more later. 

I tried that MK3 setup :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back