The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Apr 4, 2015 at 3:20 PM Post #8,896 of 9,165
I do - but it's the Gloveudio A1 and it's a dac and amp.

I can recommend the Cayin C5 - oodles of power. 880 mW in 32 Ohms. Sounds amazing with my HD650. And it's only $169 sometimes lower.

Cheers,
K

Thanks, but i'm looking for a "dac+amp", not an "amp" :)
I already have a Fiio E12 DIY, not bad at all...
But with the AK100 there is the limit of the absence of a line output, and feed an amplifier with a headphone output, it is not an ideal solution.
That's cause I am looking for a good dac-amp, but that, of course, must play better than ak100 itself! :wink:

Apr 4, 2015 at 3:29 PM Post #8,897 of 9,165
Thanks, but i'm looking for a "dac+amp", not an "amp" :)
I already have a Fiio E12 DIY, not bad at all...
But with the AK100 there is the limit of the absence of a line output, and feed an amplifier with a headphone output, it is not an ideal solution.

That's cause I am looking for a good dac-amp, but that, of course, must play better than ak100 itself! :wink:

Well, you will need one that can take in the optical output from the AK100 - the only one I know of is the gloveaudio A1, it's unbelievable detailed, powerful and has a balanced amp...it's certainly a step up from the AK100 - see the thread about it.

But it doesn't come cheap....

Apr 4, 2015 at 6:13 PM Post #8,898 of 9,165
Well, you will need one that can take in the optical output from the AK100 - the only one I know of is the gloveaudio A1, it's unbelievable detailed, powerful and has a balanced amp...it's certainly a step up from the AK100 - see the thread about it.

But it doesn't come cheap....

You might also want to try the ALO International + with optical in.  It uses a 32-bit Sabre DAC.

http://www.aloaudio.com/amplifiers/the-international-optical-edition

:)
CJ

Apr 4, 2015 at 6:44 PM Post #8,899 of 9,165
Does anyone have a link for Listrid 2.0 please? Link on the Russian forum is dead as are all the dropbox links in this thread.

[edit] nvm, I got it

Which firmware has the best touchscreen sensitivity?

Apr 5, 2015 at 3:49 AM Post #8,900 of 9,165

You might also want to try the ALO International + with optical in.  It uses a 32-bit Sabre DAC.

http://www.aloaudio.com/amplifiers/the-international-optical-edition

:)
CJ

Cough cough, the Gloveaudio A1 uses the exact same DAC chip: Sabre32 ES9018K2M

And both have the same MSRP: $599

The International + Optical might be a bit more versatile but in the end it depends what you want to drive with the amp. The ALO has not much power in the lower Ohm regions:

Alo has 80mW balanced and 105 unbalanced at 32 Ohm, the Glove has 180mW unbalanced and 440 balanced at 32 Ohms. If you have planar magnetic headphones, like Audeze or Hifiman, the Glove is the better solution. ALO is more versatile since you can only use the A1 with a specific DAP. The upside of that is that it fits like a glove :wink:

Cheers,
K

Apr 5, 2015 at 7:44 AM Post #8,901 of 9,165
Except the Glove is completely useless once you get rid of the AK.  I would be looking at the MiniM8.

Apr 5, 2015 at 9:08 AM Post #8,902 of 9,165
  Except the Glove is completely useless once you get rid of the AK.  I would be looking at the MiniM8.

Of course, certainly more future proof to go with the mini m8. But then - more bulk.

Apr 7, 2015 at 9:22 AM Post #8,905 of 9,165
Hi,

I just happen to borrow jdslabs c5d from my colleague, and get it connected to my ak100.
The result was the C5D did not work. It did not sound as it should be, just blank.

Then I connected C5D to my ipod, and it worked perfectly..

Anybody experienced the same thing? Too bad i did not have any portable amp to compare.
I've been using my ak100 with no amp, and about to test VE Zen using the C5D.

Thanks

Apr 7, 2015 at 9:24 AM Post #8,906 of 9,165
Hi,

I just happen to borrow jdslabs c5d from my colleague, and get it connected to my ak100.
The result was the C5D did not work. It did not sound as it should be, just blank.

Then I connected C5D to my ipod, and it worked perfectly..

Anybody experienced the same thing? Too bad i did not have any portable amp to compare.
I've been using my ak100 with no amp, and about to test VE Zen using the C5D.

Thanks

How did you connect it? Can you post pictures?

Apr 7, 2015 at 9:55 PM Post #8,908 of 9,165

How did you connect it? Can you post pictures?

You were using a 3.5mm to 3.5mm analog cable yes?

With the C5D, i got along a copper cable from​
 ​
http://www.doublehelixcables.com/store/ (amphenol jack on both end)... I don't know whether it's an analog cable [noobs to portable amp here... :) :) ]

I connected the cable to '1/8" Digital Optical Input' in my AK100. Did I do wrong? Or maybe I should connect the cable to 1/8" Stereo Mini-Jack Output/Digital Optical Output?

Appreciate your feedbacks, guys... :) :)

Apr 7, 2015 at 10:00 PM Post #8,909 of 9,165
Yes same jack you use for headphones out to the analog input of the C5D.  Not possible to connect via digital.

Apr 7, 2015 at 10:41 PM Post #8,910 of 9,165

[COLOR=6E6E6E]With the C5D, i got along a copper cable from[/COLOR]​
[COLOR=6E6E6E] [/COLOR]​
http://www.doublehelixcables.com/store/ (amphenol jack on both end)... I don't know whether it's an analog cable [noobs to portable amp here... :) :) ]

I connected the cable to '1/8" Digital Optical Input' in my AK100. Did I do wrong? Or maybe I should connect the cable to 1/8" Stereo Mini-Jack Output/Digital Optical Output?

Appreciate your feedbacks, guys... :) :)

Yes,that at was wrong. You can't use the C5D as a DAC and Amp in the case of the AK100 as the C5D has no optical input. But you can use the normal Headphone output and connect it to the C5D line in to use the C5D amp. Remember to switch the headphone output to line out in the settings of the ak100. But also remember to switch that back and control your volume before using the ak100 alone again.

Cheers,
K

Users who are viewing this thread

Back