The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Apr 27, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #8,926 of 9,165
OK., You're obviously a coder, so, tell us - how would you rejig the device's firmware/the way its databasing works in order to solve this (non) issue ? Or are you merely here to have a whinge for the sake of it like 99.99999999999999999999999999999% of people who whinge on this site (and there are more whingers per capita on this site than anywhere else on the internets) ?

FWIW, I'm running 2x128GB cards + the internal storage at approximately 75% full all up, and this just isn't an issue.

1. what makes you think I'm a coder?
2. this is my 3rd post, been a member for a year, just to show you how much time and effort I put into posting in forums.. so "whinging" (whatever the f it means) is not a hobby of mine.
3. coming from Zune / iPod, where syncing songs is instantaneous.. I find the AK100's repetitive/infinite scanning a major pain in the xxx.. 

maybe You've gotten used to it, but to me it feels like 90s technology !
so yeah I'm genuinely pissed / disappointed...

Apr 27, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #8,927 of 9,165
1. what makes you think I'm a coder?
2. this is my 3rd post, been a member for a year, just to show you how much time and effort I put into posting in forums.. so "whinging" (whatever the f it means) is not a hobby of mine.
3. coming from Zune / iPod, where syncing songs is instantaneous.. I find the AK100's repetitive/infinite scanning a major pain in the xxx.. 

I'll give you US$100 (plus I'll pay postage) for it...

Apr 28, 2015 at 3:55 AM Post #8,928 of 9,165

Turn off "auto library scan" and perform scanning only when necessary. It would relieve some pain, though without preventing from the notorious disapperances of SD cards. The UI is crappy and sluggish and there's no definite cure.

Apr 30, 2015 at 4:17 AM Post #8,929 of 9,165
So just to get this right, the latest firmware allows for usb dac functionality. How about the 3,5mm jacking doubling as a line out?  
Is $550AUD= 440 at good price for a brand new ak100 mk2 with local warranty? 
Also can can anyone confirm if it works with two 128gb micro sd cards. 

Apr 30, 2015 at 4:22 AM Post #8,930 of 9,165
  So just to get this right, the latest firmware allows for usb dac functionality. How about the 3,5mm jacking doubling as a line out?  

For  mk2 that would be an excellent price.  

Apr 30, 2015 at 4:42 AM Post #8,931 of 9,165

It's had USB DAC functionality for as long as I've had mine (I.E firmware before 2.40). As to whether you can get all devices which aren't PC's to use that functionality, that's another matter (I'm sure someone else will answer this). Yes, AUD$550 is a very good price for a brand new AK100 MkII with local warranty. A perusal of Addicted To Audio shows they're selling them for 50 bucks more.

Yes, I have been using 2x128GB micro SDXC cards in mine for a while now, all good.

Apr 30, 2015 at 5:28 AM Post #8,932 of 9,165

USB DAC functionality works on Mac without any drivers etc. perfect.

I bought my AK100 Mk2 for the same price in Japan - the limited Sapphire Blue edition. It's a good price. And I like the player a lot. Small, sturdy and great SQ.

Cheers,
K

Apr 30, 2015 at 5:34 AM Post #8,933 of 9,165
Worth mentioning that the USB DAC is done in software and tends to run out of sync with the input.  Ie video and audio will eventually be out of sync with each other by upwards of 10 seconds.  AK claims the II models do not have this issue.

Apr 30, 2015 at 7:48 AM Post #8,935 of 9,165
It's had USB DAC functionality for as long as I've had mine (I.E firmware before 2.40). As to whether you can get all devices which aren't PC's to use that functionality, that's another matter (I'm sure someone else will answer this). Yes, AUD$550 is a very good price for a brand new AK100 MkII with local warranty. A perusal of Addicted To Audio shows they're selling them for 50 bucks more.

Yes, I have been using 2x128GB micro SDXC cards in mine for a while now, all good.

How's the line out functionality, I heard it's just the volume set to max. 
Are your 2x128 cards full and if so do you encounter any lag once the scanning is completed? 
Does the system automatically scan for files every time the device is powered on? 
Are there still bugs on the latest firmware?  
Sorry about all the questions but I really need to know before I can make a decision whether buy it or not. 

Apr 30, 2015 at 9:02 AM Post #8,937 of 9,165
How's the line out functionality, I heard it's just the volume set to max. 
Are your 2x128 cards full and if so do you encounter any lag once the scanning is completed? 
Does the system automatically scan for files every time the device is powered on? 
Are there still bugs on the latest firmware?  
Sorry about all the questions but I really need to know before I can make a decision whether buy it or not. 

Correct. No line out that bypasses the amp stage on the player. Volume to max out to amp works fine for me (As with everything, YMMV...). All up (including the onboard storage as well), I have it about 75% full; lag has been minimal for me, and I believe this to be the case due to having things properly organised in folders. Does the UI lag at all, yes it does a little. For some people (particularly in this thread over the duration), this is a big deal. If you're like me & work out what you want to play, hit play then throw the device in your pocket, it probably won't bother you a lot.

You can switch auto scan off in settings.

Lyrics are apparently (I don't know this firsthand though; can't say looking at lyrics on a tiny screen whilst listening to music when I already know the lyrics is my thing) supported if embedded in files correctly (either with AK's iRiver Plus 4 software/other tag editors).

Are there still bugs in the latest firmware ? Of course. Doesn't all soft/firmware have bugs ? Couldn't tell you what they are as most people's gripes in this thread seem to relate to the UI (I don't buy DAP's based on UI's). I'm sure someone else will be along any moment now though with a comment about bugs/how ****ty this device is/how ****ty AK are/etc, etc (pretty much a given in this thread/on this site...)

Edit to add - You're in Melbourne; call Addicted To Audio (they're in Kew East), ask them if you can pop in & audition a MkII (assuming they have one to audition/not in a sealed box). Take your cans/earphones/whatever, a SD card full of music & have a play with the device yourself before you commit.

Apr 30, 2015 at 8:04 PM Post #8,939 of 9,165
Correct. No line out that bypasses the amp stage on the player. Volume to max out to amp works fine for me (As with everything, YMMV...). All up (including the onboard storage as well), I have it about 75% full; lag has been minimal for me, and I believe this to be the case due to having things properly organised in folders. Does the UI lag at all, yes it does a little. For some people (particularly in this thread over the duration), this is a big deal. If you're like me & work out what you want to play, hit play then throw the device in your pocket, it probably won't bother you a lot.

You can switch auto scan off in settings.

Lyrics are apparently (I don't know this firsthand though; can't say looking at lyrics on a tiny screen whilst listening to music when I already know the lyrics is my thing) supported if embedded in files correctly (either with AK's iRiver Plus 4 software/other tag editors).

Are there still bugs in the latest firmware ? Of course. Doesn't all soft/firmware have bugs ? Couldn't tell you what they are as most people's gripes in this thread seem to relate to the UI (I don't buy DAP's based on UI's). I'm sure someone else will be along any moment now though with a comment about bugs/how ****ty this device is/how ****ty AK are/etc, etc (pretty much a given in this thread/on this site...)

Edit to add - You're in Melbourne; call Addicted To Audio (they're in Kew East), ask them if you can pop in & audition a MkII (assuming they have one to audition/not in a sealed box). Take your cans/earphones/whatever, a SD card full of music & have a play with the device yourself before you commit.

That's where I'm getting my ak100 mk2 from. They were willing to offer me a $50 discount for cash on pickup. 
Does a dap with line out that bypasses the internal amp stage even exist? How about the x3, x5, dx90?  

May 1, 2015 at 1:08 AM Post #8,940 of 9,165
That's where I'm getting my ak100 mk2 from. They were willing to offer me a $50 discount for cash on pickup. 
Does a dap with line out that bypasses the internal amp stage even exist? How about the x3, x5, dx90?  

Yes, all of these have separate line outs:

X3, X3ii, X5, DX50, DX90.

The X1 via switch in software but the same port...

Cheers,
K

Users who are viewing this thread

Back