The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Oct 27, 2023 at 8:13 AM Post #6,706 of 6,859
Great, looking forward to it
Early days with the Hiby but in terms of sound I do like it. No audible hiss so is superior to the A55 in this respect. Hiby UI/Software I am not so fond of. The A55 has comfortably the better software/UI. Smoother and faster, though the Hiby does boot up faster. The screens are also no comparison really with the A55 having a much better screen. Ditto for the battery life. I've not tested the Hiby but it should give you 15 hours. The A55 will give you over 30, if not 35. Lots of folks reviewing the Hiby have praised its battery life but I think 15 hours is quite poor, especially when compared to the Sony A-Series, which is a direct competitor and roughly the same size. I think sound quality is on a par really but the Hiby does have more power so its sound does have a weight and authority to it.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2023 at 8:27 AM Post #6,707 of 6,859
Early days with the Hiby but in terms of sound I do like it. No audible hiss so is superior to the A55 in this respect. Hiby UI/Software I am not so fond of. The A55 has comfortably the better software/UI. Smoother and faster, though the Hiby does boot up faster. The screens are also no comparison really with the A55 having a much better screen. Ditto for the battery life. I've not tested the Hiby but it should give you 15 hours. The A55 will give you over 30, if not 35. Lots of folks reviewing the Hiby have praised its battery life but I think 15 hours is quite poor, especially when compared to the Sony A-Series, which is a direct competitor and roughly the same size. I think sound quality is on a par really but the Hiby does have more power so its sound does have a weight and authority to it.
I’m sure you know why the Hiby has lest battery power. 😊

Oct 28, 2023 at 5:21 AM Post #6,708 of 6,859

Thanks for the detailed comparision. May I ask which one you prefer?

Oct 28, 2023 at 9:22 AM Post #6,709 of 6,859
Thanks for the detailed comparision. May I ask which one you prefer?
I think the A55 is overall the better package. In terms of just sound both are good. Unfortunately I have found that the Hiby doesn't do gapless properly, even with FLAC files. Was just trying out some gapless albums and the Hiby isn't dealing with them smoothly. For those that don't know, Hiby software CANNOT do gapless with the AIF/AIFF format (my preferred format) at all. To be fair, nor does the Sony. I'm hoping Hiby can provide an update/fix for the gapless failing soon. That's pretty poor.

As it stands I prefer the Sony, due to the superior battery life and UI. I don't like the Hiby UI. I'll probably do a video review of it next week covering what I've mentioned because no existing review I have seen mentions such things.

For you it will depend on what best meets your criteria/requirements.

Oct 28, 2023 at 9:33 AM Post #6,710 of 6,859
I think the A55 is overall the better package. In terms of just sound both are good. Unfortunately I have found that the Hiby doesn't do gapless properly, even with FLAC files. Was just trying out some gapless albums and the Hiby isn't dealing with them smoothly. For those that don't know, Hiby software CANNOT do gapless with the AIF/AIFF format (my preferred format) at all. To be fair, nor does the Sony. I'm hoping Hiby can provide an update/fix for the gapless failing soon. That's pretty poor.

As it stands I prefer the Sony, due to the superior battery life and UI. I don't like the Hiby UI. I'll probably do a video review of it next week covering what I've mentioned because no existing review I have seen mentions such things.

How you using the Hiby? Through 3.5 or balanced. Can you use AirPlay on Sony or streami?

Oct 28, 2023 at 11:14 AM Post #6,711 of 6,859
How you using the Hiby? Through 3.5 or balanced. Can you use AirPlay on Sony or streami?
No AirPlay on the A55, just bluetooth but I only used wired anyway. If I used wiireless tech I would just stick with a smartphone over a DAP for music but each to their own. For the Hiby I've only used the 3.5 so far. The AirPlay is a bit odd. You have to scan QR codes and use other devices (iPad/iPhone) to connect, you can't just find the target device via a dropdown menu list on the Hiby and connect directly. It is long winded.

All a bit of a shame really as the device actually sounds fantastic and the form factor/ergonomics are very good.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2023 at 11:17 AM Post #6,712 of 6,859
3.5. The AirPlay is a bit odd. You have to scan QR codes and use other devices (iPad/iPhone) to connect, you can't just find the target device via a dropdown menu list on the Hiby. It is long winded.

All a bit of a shame really as the device actually sounds fantastic and the form factor/ergonomics are very good.
Try 4.4. Also AirPlay is easy to connect especially with the drop down menu. Just turn on WiFi and hit AirPlay icon and it’s connected

Oct 28, 2023 at 12:16 PM Post #6,713 of 6,859
Try 4.4. Also AirPlay is easy to connect especially with the drop down menu. Just turn on WiFi and hit AirPlay icon and it’s connected
Why are you telling me to try 4.4?

That isn't true regarding Airplay. Not on the r3 ii, maybe you're on about a different device... There is no drop down menu to select anything, just a QR code when you're in the AirPlay setting. Feel free to show pictures/video of it working as you say. It's possible I've missed something.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2023 at 5:28 PM Post #6,715 of 6,859
Because you’re getting the best sound and power of the player.
In your opinion. Some swear 4.4 "sounds better" but it never has to me. I'd be willling to bet they (you) wouldn't be able to tell any difference, consistently, in a blind A/B either. I'm more than happy with the sound and power out of the 3.5 thanks.

Oct 31, 2023 at 5:34 AM Post #6,716 of 6,859

Thanks. I used to own the Walkman A55. It's a suprise to hear that the A55 still hold its value compared to nowadays DAPs. I was expecting a high gap in audio quality between the hiby r3 II and sony A55.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2023 at 12:40 PM Post #6,717 of 6,859
New Firmware was released today.

1698856106016.png

HiBy R3 II firmware update V1.1
Changelog:
1. Optimized power consumption and battery display issues;
2. Optimize Bluetooth stability;
3. Modified "Singer->Album" sorting according to Track ID;
4. Various other bug fixes.
The OTA update is available now. Simply connect to Wi-Fi and update the firmware by System settings -> Firmware update -> Via OTA.
Download link for local update: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hZ...eP6SB7mi3GDnlIyvoO3vsEwSNdocQ7qBdhtbB5Yz2vpoc

I can confirm that the Artist>Albums now displays in track order rather than alphabetical order. Can't comment on any of the other points yet, or what the "various other bug fixes" are.

Album Artist still does not give you the option to switch between all tracks and albums, it just lists all tracks in alphabetical order. This needs to be updated to give you the option to switch between albums and all tracks.

Nov 2, 2023 at 8:23 PM Post #6,718 of 6,859
Does anyone have a link about the Hiby Manuals? I just got a R3ii and am trying to learn more about the operating system...
Also, looking for any instructions about how to get the album art to display...
Is there a wiki with this kind of stuff?
Thank you!

Nov 2, 2023 at 9:42 PM Post #6,719 of 6,859
I noticed that the player has the function to slow down and speed up play for certain files (like MP3's but not supported for Flac). Also the function to designate a point A and B for looped playback of a portion of a file (you know, like if you want to hear a guitar solo over and over). Plenue had this feature on their players, thank you HIby for adding those features....now can you allow the system to control the Flac files too please? :)

Nov 5, 2023 at 8:42 AM Post #6,720 of 6,859
Is there any reason to get a bluetooth DAC (BTR5, Q5K, BTR7) over Hiby R3 II? Besides the size?

I'm looking for a Bluetooth-DAC with its own battery, but then this thing came along.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in addition to being a DAP:
  1. Hiby R3 II functions as a Bluetooth DAC connecting to computer/phone just like BTR5/BTR7/Q5K.
  2. There's probably also a wired DAC mode for phone/computer? (not a dealbreaker)
So you get all of that + a DAP for independent playback. I'd rather have all those features in one device, even if it comes at a slightly increased size & cost. If someone can confirm this let me know, and I'll probably be getting this little DAP :) Or if there are any downsides to this device vs. Bluetooth DACs that I'm missing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back