The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Aug 9, 2020 at 9:16 AM Post #6,286 of 6,859
Aug 9, 2020 at 5:14 PM Post #6,287 of 6,859
v-v error, v_v failed.

Well, that didn't really help... I'm out of ideas with what you have already tried. Maybe others can chime in.

Edit: Low voltage maybe for the ROM write? Have you tried it while plugged in to a charger?

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2020 at 6:10 PM Post #6,288 of 6,859
Low voltage maybe for the ROM write? Have you tried it while plugged in to a charger?
I'll try it. ROM write should be fine as I upgraded from 3.3.4 to 3.4 by OTA easily a couple of days ago.

Aug 9, 2020 at 10:51 PM Post #6,289 of 6,859
Aug 10, 2020 at 12:10 PM Post #6,290 of 6,859
To snoopy112,
Have you tried to install bar 3.6 upt?

Aug 13, 2020 at 4:22 PM Post #6,291 of 6,859
long time lurker. Joined to say that I bought the Hiby R3 saber and had the reboot error when I tried to update the firmware to version 1.4. I followed the instructions posted in this thread from the hiby Facebook reply and it worked. It took a few tries before I figured out how long to hold the back button. I ended up just holding it down the whole time until the clone software progress meter ran several times over to make sure. After that I was able to install the firmware from the root of my microsd card and get the two firmware installation progress bars showing as it progressed from a self reboot. Showing 1.4 now in the about section.

I just got the saber but I already had a HibyR3 (not pro) since july 2019. Unfortunately, just recently, over this hot summer my regular HiBy R3 froze up on the files index screen. The power button works, the volume buttons work, but nothing happens with the touch screen or the other buttons. I can do a hard reset holding the power button down a long time but that doesn't help. I can also plug it in as a usb device but that doesn't help get it to function either. So it's useless as it is, basically "bricked". It still shows my files in the default listing screen, frozen, even when I take the microsd card out. I'm debating sending it in for repair or not. It's $15 international ship fee according to HiBy support + idk how much if I decide to pay insurance on it. Then I guess they just let me know how much it costs to repair it. It didn't sound like they would give an estimate first but idk. I guess for a $150 - $200 device it will be worth a shot as long as the repair isn't too expensive. I could always use it dedicated to my pc as a DAC or leave it connected to one of my devices if I go through the process and get it back in working condition.

Regardless, I didn't want to wait on shipping to china, repair, and back again the rest of the summer because I loved my HiBy DAC/player so much. It was very disappointing when it "bricked". I looked at reviews of the R6 pro but I really can't justify that price tag currently, plus I enjoy the small form factor of the R3 units. I got the saber all set up now, though I had to try several time at redoing my FLAC playlists as it didn't pick them up off of the microsd card properly. I remade some playlists but I couldn't remember exactly what format to leave the directory structure referencing so it took me a handful of tries until I got it right on a playlist. Now they are all loaded up , various single genre and combo genre playlists, as well as my Tidal account and my playlists there.

When I ordered the HiBy R3 saber I decided to get some halfway decent (yet not too expensive) earbuds for it for when I'm using it in an arm strap while working or working out. I ended up with the KZ ZS10 pro earbuds. I don't know if it's the earbuds or the saber's DAC or (likely both) - but I am extremely happy with how everything sounds. I hear so much detail and separation and still get good bass. I ordered a 2.5mm cable for the KZ ZS10 pro earbuds but it won't arrive until tomorrow, so I've just been using the included 3.5mm one that came with the earbuds for now. Up until now on my (now bricked) HiBY R3, I would use my AKG 712 pro cans or plug it directly into a 7.1 surround system or my marshall stanmore speaker. My only earbuds for working outside or working out with were these " Sony MDR-XB50AP/R Extra Bass Earbud Headset " which were ok , and are still decent enough for doing anything abusive that I wouldn't want to risk messing up the KZ ZS10's doing.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2020 at 6:36 PM Post #6,292 of 6,859
I owned two Hiby R3s (non-Pro), and both in some instances also froze on the updating database screen as well. Such instances for me, were solved by rebooting the player, though.

Aug 13, 2020 at 11:41 PM Post #6,293 of 6,859
Follow "option two" from the tutorial here. That's what I did.
The remaining steps can be found in the instructions posted in the post below. Once you download the zip file, you'll get a step by step walkthrough.

If I'm remembering correctly,
- I used shift+restart in windows 10 to get to the advanced startup screens in order to allow unsigned driver's installation.
- I drilled down into the unrared folders from the rar supplied in the clone link and I right clicked the inf file and clicked install
- I turned off the HiBy, then unplugged the usb-C cable.
- I'm pretty sure I just held the back button while plugging in the usb-C cable and the unit booted itself up. If I had to let go of the button for a second at some point during my attempts in order to get the HiBy to start booting (after I plugged in the usb-c cable) I may have, but then I held the button down again as it booted up.
- I kept windows 10's device manager open so I could see if the cloner device would show up rather than the HiBy usb device
- Once I had the cloner device showing up in device manager, I ran the clone software.
- I maintained the back button being down.
- I clicked to load the proper file from the cloner software's load button.
- I clicked start in the cloner window
-still holding the "Back" button down, the cloner software ran through both of it's progress meter bars several times, like it was stuck in a loop, until I finally released the back button.
- It seemed to have worked so I disconnected the HiBY from the usb-c cable, paged through it's menus to the firmware update heading, and updated the firmware from the file I had put on my microsd card.
-When I initiated the update, the HiBy rebooted itself but this time after the HiBy logo it went to a firmware update screen with two progress meters which started filling.
-The firmware update completed and I had the new firmware version in the "about section" of the HiBy OS menus.

I probably could have let go of the back button at some earlier point but what I did seemed to work fine.

Hope this helps someone since I wasn't sure how to get it to work at first myself either. If the usb cloner device is not showing in windows device manager, then the cloner software will not work when you run it and start it and will instead show an error.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2020 at 2:06 AM Post #6,297 of 6,859
Guys, a question: Does the Hiby R3 Pro have any lag (or loading time) while skipping songs or does it happen in an instant? How fast is it?

Thanks.

The only lag that I've experienced is a slight delay in album art. Recent firmware has improved this, but when scrolling it's still noticeable. I have over about 23,000 songs which are all mp3's.

Aug 19, 2020 at 12:59 PM Post #6,299 of 6,859
I wanted to downgrade to v3.1 but there are two versions- Chinese and International. Mine is a Bar version. Which one is for my R3?
What happens if I try to use upt file for slash version but not Bar one?

Aug 20, 2020 at 9:42 PM Post #6,300 of 6,859
I'm debating sending it in for repair or not. It's $15 international ship fee according to HiBy support + idk how much if I decide to pay insurance on it. Then I guess they just let me know how much it costs to repair it. It didn't sound like they would give an estimate first but idk. I guess for a $150 - $200 device it will be worth a shot as long as the repair isn't too expensive. I could always use it dedicated to my pc as a DAC or leave it connected to one of my devices if I go through the process and get it back in working condition.

I'm debating this too. I have one and it doesn't turn or or respond no matter what I do.

Tried charging with every USB-C cable I have to no avail. Just no responses at all. If anyone else has had this and found any options I'm happy to try them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back