The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
May 27, 2020 at 11:38 AM Post #6,256 of 6,859
I've just found out there is apparently a 20k song limit? This is pretty infuriating. I have about 50k songs, they've all transferred correctly onto a 512g card.

I saw on another page of this thread someone had made custom firmware to fix this. Does this still work? I updated the firmware ota when I got my r3, so would I need to reset to factory settings or something?

Edit: Ah, I see this is for the R3 and noone has done this for the R3pro just yet.

It's a bit of a weird decision to put in a hard limit. Everything is still there and accessible navigating via file folders, which actually offers better organisation than being limited to album or artist. No option to sort via album artist for example is really annoying. Seems like a really great product sound wise that is let down by some really dumb decisions in terms of UI. Like if you are going to allow for memory as high as 2tb why would you put in a 20k hard limit on songs.

Really? Did it show the 20k limit in the literature? I only have around 11k tracks but even so.

May 27, 2020 at 11:46 AM Post #6,258 of 6,859
Yup, says on official website.

I also tried making a playlist with everything i wanted on it so i could set it to shuffle but that seems to crash the thing.

I've got one coming from HK as we speak. Not an issue for me but not aware the R5 had this limit but then that can use any music App.

May 29, 2020 at 11:54 AM Post #6,259 of 6,859
I just bought the R3pro and, for whatever reason, completely didn't understand there was a 20,000 track limit. The device, aside from this point, is great. I can still play all my music if I go into the folders themselves on the SD card but I would KILL for someone to create custom firmware for the Pro. Anyone, anyone??? 😁

May 29, 2020 at 3:46 PM Post #6,260 of 6,859
I just bought the R3pro and, for whatever reason, completely didn't understand there was a 20,000 track limit. The device, aside from this point, is great. I can still play all my music if I go into the folders themselves on the SD card but I would KILL for someone to create custom firmware for the Pro. Anyone, anyone??? 😁
Have you confirmed it doesn’t index more than 20,000 as I read one review that says that was increased for the Pro?

I only have ~12K and really only ~7K I still want to listen to. Hoping Tidal over WiFi is good on this little player as thats what I've ordered mine for. Bit-perfect & MQA working without being messed up for use at home.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2020 at 3:23 PM Post #6,264 of 6,859

Someone definitely managed to make custom firmware and fix this for the r3 so i expect it is possible. Would also be nice to sort by album artist as well. I've asked hiby directly to change this also.

Jun 14, 2020 at 3:24 PM Post #6,266 of 6,859
Not sure if I'm on the right thread, but I received the Hiby R3 pro with Sabre yesterday, and the wifi isn't working too well. Long lag times (15-30 seconds) between commands in Tidal. My wifi network is robust. Anyone else experiencing this?

Jun 14, 2020 at 4:39 PM Post #6,267 of 6,859
Jun 16, 2020 at 11:25 PM Post #6,270 of 6,859

Users who are viewing this thread

Back