The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Oct 24, 2018 at 12:32 PM Post #4,591 of 6,859
Use a usbc from r3 to a rca coax in on ifi idsd black. That is what I use and it works well. Also I use the hiby usbc to 3.5 coax into chord mojo .both work well. The volume is active on both the ifi and mojo as well as the r3. Both sound great using the r3 as a transport. The r3 and mojo is the best portable solution as I use w my akg k872 . amazing sound and convenience
The usbc to rca coax I bought on amazoA for under $10

Oct 24, 2018 at 9:23 PM Post #4,592 of 6,859
Does this Cayin adapter work with the R3?
upload_2018-10-25_6-53-37.png

Oct 24, 2018 at 10:25 PM Post #4,593 of 6,859
Use a usbc from r3 to a rca coax in on ifi idsd black. That is what I use and it works well. Also I use the hiby usbc to 3.5 coax into chord mojo .both work well. The volume is active on both the ifi and mojo as well as the r3. Both sound great using the r3 as a transport. The r3 and mojo is the best portable solution as I use w my akg k872 . amazing sound and convenience

Thanks man appreciate the reply. I have the iDSD nano BL and I think it's line-out only and hence I think my only option is USB-C to USB for the nano or USB-C to Micro USB for the Q1 Mark 2.

Oct 24, 2018 at 10:32 PM Post #4,594 of 6,859
Thanks man appreciate the reply. I have the iDSD nano BL and I think it's line-out only and hence I think my only option is USB-C to USB for the nano or USB-C to Micro USB for the Q1 Mark 2.
I dont understand your statement about the Micro iDSD BL

Oct 24, 2018 at 10:41 PM Post #4,595 of 6,859
I dont understand your statement about the Micro iDSD BL

The micro iDSD Black Label supports coax but the nano iDSD Black Label only has a USB input so as far as I know the only connection to get the signal into the nano is with USB because there is no line-in there is only a line-out if you were using a 3.5mm connection.

Oct 25, 2018 at 6:35 AM Post #4,596 of 6,859
Oct 25, 2018 at 4:32 PM Post #4,597 of 6,859
Has anyone had any problems with the R3 cutting off the beginnings of tracks? For most tracks this isn't a problem since most have a brief (< 1 second) period of silence before the music starts. But for some, the first note is immediate and the R3 misses some of it. The best example I can find is Slayer's "Angel of Death". When I play the song, the player misses the first impact and I only catch the tail end of the chord and the cymbal crash. This phenomenon does not apply to gapless playback from track to track (works perfectly) and does not occur when the "now playing" queue is empty (i.e. when the player first boots up). Every other time I manually select a new song (and that track's first note is immediate), it gets slightly cut off.

I emailed Hiby back and forth a couple of times, but they seemed unable to reproduce the phenomenon.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2018 at 6:06 PM Post #4,598 of 6,859
Must admit I haven't noticed it much but there's been a couple of new releases I've heard over the last few weeks that I thought started very suddenly indeed, almost like they were missing a fraction of a second, & I'm now wondering if this is the same as you're experiencing? Next time I get it I'll check out the source on something else too.

Oct 25, 2018 at 7:53 PM Post #4,599 of 6,859
Every other time I manually select a new song (and that track's first note is immediate), it gets slightly cut off. Has anyone else experienced this?

Sometimes I get this when I play songs which are in different formats. For example, if I am playing something that is 16/44.1 and then I play a DSD, sometimes the switch causes a slight pop at the start of the track or a delay where I miss the first second or so (will be the DAC switching formats I guess). I also find this happens on songs I steam using the Tidal app (there is always a pop at the start of the track and the first second is cut off slightly), but I would imagine that will be due to the WIFI connection and needing to start streaming/loading the track.

Oct 25, 2018 at 9:19 PM Post #4,600 of 6,859
Sometimes I get this when I play songs which are in different formats. For example, if I am playing something that is 16/44.1 and then I play a DSD, sometimes the switch causes a slight pop at the start of the track or a delay where I miss the first second or so (will be the DAC switching formats I guess). I also find this happens on songs I steam using the Tidal app (there is always a pop at the start of the track and the first second is cut off slightly), but I would imagine that will be due to the WIFI connection and needing to start streaming/loading the track.
You nailed it. This is Why they do it so it didn't blow your ears and or headphones. Back a few years ago most DAPs would have a popping sound when formats changed like you said above and it was quite annoying.

Oct 26, 2018 at 3:31 PM Post #4,604 of 6,859
hm, hiby rejects m4a aac files for me. If one such file is added the library fails to scan and shows as empty, and that happens after each scan.

anyone else?

I joined to post about this.

At first I thought the hiby wasn't scanning due to a defect, so I re-formatted the SD card and painstakingly sent music to the hiby via the wireless folder-by-folder. After doing that, I was able to see that a type of file (m4p) wasn't copying over, and they were all old albums I'd purchased from the itunes store in 2008 or before.

It turns out that those files are still DRM protected even after the Apple dropped DRM in 2009.

If that's your problem, you can re-download from the itunes store, rip to a CD or buy software to get rid of the drm. That's 295 files for me, so I'm gonna contact apple to see if there is a more convenient solutions.

Oct 26, 2018 at 5:26 PM Post #4,605 of 6,859
I joined to post about this.

At first I thought the hiby wasn't scanning due to a defect, so I re-formatted the SD card and painstakingly sent music to the hiby via the wireless folder-by-folder. After doing that, I was able to see that a type of file (m4p) wasn't copying over, and they were all old albums I'd purchased from the itunes store in 2008 or before.

It turns out that those files are still DRM protected even after the Apple dropped DRM in 2009.

If that's your problem, you can re-download from the itunes store, rip to a CD or buy software to get rid of the drm. That's 295 files for me, so I'm gonna contact apple to see if there is a more convenient solutions.

thanks, but these are flac files I converted with ezcd and fre:ac, I checked and there is no protection. They play fine on android and pc etc. Did now test with some other m4a files, and they play fine. Not the ones I convert myself on the r3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back