The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Aug 9, 2018 at 10:16 AM Post #3,917 of 6,859
Storage is for transferring files to the R3, Audio is to use the R3 as a USB DAC/amp, and I have absolutely no idea what Dock is for haha.

Maybe dock mode simply switches the R3 to a mode where it charges only and is not recognised as a USB DAC/amp or storage device when plugged in to a computer? I haven’t tried this yet...

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2018 at 10:46 AM Post #3,918 of 6,859
How does one switch between usb audio and coax audio while trying to get a digital out from the usb c port?

Aug 9, 2018 at 10:52 AM Post #3,919 of 6,859
How does one switch between usb audio and coax audio while trying to get a digital out from the usb c port?

To use coax audio output I use the HiBy Coax cable, and to use USB output I use the Shanling L2 USC C-micro cable.
The R3 detects the presence of a DAC connected to the USB-C port automatically with both cables.

Does that answer your question?

Aug 9, 2018 at 1:54 PM Post #3,920 of 6,859
To use coax audio output I use the HiBy Coax cable, and to use USB output I use the Shanling L2 USC C-micro cable.
The R3 detects the presence of a DAC connected to the USB-C port automatically with both cables.

Does that answer your question?
Thank you it does.
However if you could throw some light on the usb mode in settings it would be great indeed.

Aug 9, 2018 at 5:16 PM Post #3,921 of 6,859
Hi!

I got my R3 some weeks ago and, I think it's a great device for the price. Waiting for the leather case to arrive.

Does any of you have been able to use the remote included in iOS-remote-featured earphones? I tried several models, including the one that come with my iPhone that I've never used (the plastic box was was still wrapped), and although play/pause/skip button works nicely, the volume control doesn't seem to work.

Thanks!

@Joe Bloggs Any clue about this? Will remote volume controls work in a future firmware update? Thanks!

Aug 9, 2018 at 6:14 PM Post #3,922 of 6,859
Does the R3 have a source direct/bit perfect mode when used purely as a transport?

I'm looking for something small to pair with a Mojo and was disappointed that the Shanling m0 sounds worse as a transport that using an Android phone with UAPP in bit perfect mode.

Any R3 owners with Mojos able to offer a comparison with UAPP?

Aug 10, 2018 at 5:43 AM Post #3,923 of 6,859
Hi all, I need some help. Been running in the R6 for the last couple of days. I bought a 400gb micro sd card. I intend to use this mainly for my offline listening. In order for me to store the Spotify and Tidal tracks onto the micro SD card, i did not select any of the options (internal storage or removable storage) when the card was inserted. I managed to successfully store Tidal tracks onto the SD card.

However, when I connect the R6 to my PC, my PC cannot see any storage. It did recognise R6 as connected but there's no access to the SD card. I'm not sure if this is a R6 issue or a generic Android issue (I'm more of an iOS user). Do I have to do anything in the settings menu of the R6 to allow access to the PC? Typically the iOS will prompt but I didn't get any in R6.

Looking for help please.

Aug 10, 2018 at 5:58 AM Post #3,925 of 6,859
I know someone asked here about gapless a while back...I initially found it not working correctly despite being switched on (& posted here about it), but even though it wasn't mentioned in the notes for the 1st firmware upgrade, I must say I've not been having any issues recently, & it seems to be working OK

Aug 10, 2018 at 6:15 AM Post #3,926 of 6,859
Hi!

Planning to get this one.
Is it worth it?
Does it have many issues on software/hardware?

Thanks!

There have been lots of discussions about shuffle pay, which is not really random and can get hung up on certain songs and challenges with playlists.
Personally I hope that it will be improved further, but generally enjoy the user interface. Nice touch screen solution.
(I also have a Cayin N3 which also uses a HiBy operating system, and with the N3 I often used the iOS App to remote control it. The R3 is easier to operate directly)

Sound wise I personally prefer a more neutral sound, the R3 IMHO is a little heavy handed at processing the music, kind of emphasizing everything, bass to treble.
That's why I pair it with a Chord Mojo, but many seem to like the punchy and crisp sound signature. I compared it with a slight HDR processing of a photo.
I prefer fine arts style music :)

Aug 10, 2018 at 6:47 AM Post #3,927 of 6,859
Aug 10, 2018 at 12:52 PM Post #3,928 of 6,859
Does he R3 support Lrc lyrics files. I saw comments that it does but then other comments that they don’t work.

Also, I am currently using the Cayin N5ii and am considering either the R3 or the M3s. I review I read put the R3 and the M3s in basically the same class, pros and cons each way. Thoughts on these models?

Aug 10, 2018 at 2:19 PM Post #3,929 of 6,859
Does he R3 support Lrc lyrics files. I saw comments that it does but then other comments that they don’t work.

Also, I am currently using the Cayin N5ii and am considering either the R3 or the M3s. I review I read put the R3 and the M3s in basically the same class, pros and cons each way. Thoughts on these models?

What are you expecting to get from the change?
The N5ii is said to be a really nice DAP, and should be superior to the R3 and different, not necessarily worse than the M3s
I have the R3 and the Cayin N3, and somehow I like the N3 better, its more natural, the R3 has a more punchy and crisp sound, impressive but to me it‘s tiring...

Cheers!

Aug 10, 2018 at 2:26 PM Post #3,930 of 6,859
@surfgeorge

The only reason I am looking at something else is because the 3.5mm headphone jack on my N5ii is more or less broke. The balanced out works fine, but I don’t have any phones for it. I would get another N5ii, but I am not too impressed with its durability. I don’t have an open warranty on my N5ii.

I typically just listen off the SD card. I don’t stream from Tidal, etc.

I was recommended the M3s as an alternative to the N5ii. Through some searching I found the R3. If it is not on par with the N5ii or M3s I will either get another N5ii or wait for the new M3s replacement to be announced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back