The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Aug 4, 2018 at 11:08 PM Post #3,901 of 6,859
My R3 fits perfectly into the hard-shell case that came with my LZ A4 IEMs (now sporting a 2.5mm balanced cable). It makes for a perfect little portable package. Still got issues with it being unable to finish a scan without crashing (some of my songs must have some strange control characters that is causing the indexer to bork), but at least the work-around of using the Files explorer works.

Aug 4, 2018 at 11:23 PM Post #3,902 of 6,859
My R3 fits perfectly into the hard-shell case that came with my LZ A4 IEMs (now sporting a 2.5mm balanced cable). It makes for a perfect little portable package. Still got issues with it being unable to finish a scan without crashing (some of my songs must have some strange control characters that is causing the indexer to bork), but at least the work-around of using the Files explorer works.

Have the same case and headphones, these aren't my daily drivers, but forgot about the 2.5 mm output as well.
So time to start experimenting

Aug 5, 2018 at 1:00 AM Post #3,903 of 6,859
The rationale for using each filter may be as follows:

Sharp rolloff: your high frequency hearing doesn't go up to the Nyquist frequency (22050Hz in the case of 44.1kHz sample rate) so you choose to use a sharp rolloff filter. This way you get flat response up to the limits of your hearing and no audible ringing (only inaudible ringing at 20000-22050Hz)

Slow (or super slow) rolloff: your high frequency hearing does go up to and above 20000Hz so much that you do hear ringing at those frequencies; besides, modern pop music is mastered too brightly for your tastes. You kill two birds with one stone, the slow rolloff filter: it makes ringing less noticeable and the highest frequencies less prominent.

@Joe Bloggs - thank you for your definitions above. I recently received my R3 and noticed in the last firmware update that there is now a "Minimum phase rolloff" option as well. Could also provide a definition as to what this antialiasing filter does?

Aug 6, 2018 at 12:04 AM Post #3,904 of 6,859
xqrdQqP.jpg

Love the leather case. Make it feel so much more sturdy and i'm no longer too careful with it, lest the glass cracks.

Aug 6, 2018 at 2:37 AM Post #3,905 of 6,859
image.jpg image.jpg
Yes, that's my plan!
I have been mulling over how to realize it in practical terms, but I think I am getting closer to it.
I wan to put the R3 directly against the Mojo's rubber feet and make 2 half-shells that fit over the Mojo and R3 respectively, possibly with a snap-fit.
There are details to be worked out, such as access to the ports and openings for cooling, and knowing myself it might take another 2-3 weeks before it's done...
But I'll post about the progress.

The project is progressing - after a bunch of prototypes and adjustments it's almost done!
Stacking works, breakouts for the ports are done.
A few minor adjustments need to be made and I need to figure out a way to attach the halfes to each other. Cooling vents are also on the list, but I have no idea yet how to integrate them into the structure...

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2018 at 3:11 AM Post #3,906 of 6,859

The project is progressing - after a bunch of prototypes and adjustments it's almost done!
Stacking works, breakouts for the ports are done.
A few minor adjustments need to be made and I need to figur out a way to attach the halfes to each other. Cooling vents are also on the list, but I have no idea yet how to integrate them into the structure...

Looks good well done.

Maybe make it a touch smaller and out of silicone.

Aug 7, 2018 at 2:50 AM Post #3,907 of 6,859
Yesterday I've finally received my Hiby R3 from Kickstarter.

I'm a bit confused about Bluetooth functionality.
On the first topic page it is stated: "Hiby R3 is a portable HiFi music player equipped with a 3.2-inch full touchscreen; supports bidirectional communication for Bluetooth with APTX". And almost same phrase is on Kickstarter. That was the main point (besides canceled Tidal offline support :| ) for me to by this DAP.
So, I've tried to get AptX receiving on Hiby R3 but it just didn't work with my Huawei P10 or Axon 7. R3 was constantly showing SBC despite the settings in the smartphones. Meanwhile both of these smartphones can successfully send signal via AptX to iFi xDSD.

Could someone, please, clarify above mentioned?

P.S. Tried DLNA/AIrPlay with my Mojo + Hiby R3 stack and got the background electrical noise in the earphones. Not an option for me.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2018 at 4:13 AM Post #3,908 of 6,859
Yesterday I've finally received my Hiby R3 from Kickstarter.

On the first topic page it is stated: "Hiby R3 is a portable HiFi music player equipped with a 3.2-inch full touchscreen; supports bidirectional communication for Bluetooth with APTX". And almost same phrase is on Kickstarter. That was the main point (besides canceled Tidal offline support :| ) for me to by this DAP.
So, I've tried to get AptX receiving on Hiby R3 but it just didn't work with my Huawei P10 or Axon 7. R3 was constantly showing SBC despite the settings in the smartphones. Meanwhile both of these smartphones can successfully send signal via AptX to iFi xDSD.

P.S. Tried DLNA/AIrPlay with my Mojo + Hiby R3 stack and got the background electrical noise in the earphones. Not an option for me.

@Cat In Boots - I have my iPhone (X) sending music streamed from Spotify over Bluetooth to the Hiby R3 which is stacked with a FiiO Q1 Mark II and everything works perfectly (SBC 44.1KHz). HiBy Link also works. Are you on the latest firmware? I am on HiBy R3 1.11. I also notice that having Wi-Fi turned on causes some interference...

Aug 7, 2018 at 6:25 AM Post #3,909 of 6,859

Somewhere in the thread, Joe Bloggs confirmed that streaming is limited to SBC and I agree, it's very misleading that they have in their advertising. He also mentioned that streaming via LDAC should be possible once they implement that. But for now, we're stuck with SBC.

P.S. Tried DLNA/AIrPlay with my Mojo + Hiby R3 stack and got the background electrical noise in the earphones.
have my iPhone (X) sending music streamed from Spotify over Bluetooth to the Hiby R3 which is stacked with a FiiO Q1 Mark II and everything works perfectly (SBC 44.1KHz). HiBy Link also works. Are you on the latest firmware? I am on HiBy R3 1.11. I also notice that having Wi-Fi turned on causes some interference...
The Q1 Mark II and the Mojo are both notorious for having poor EMF shielding, which causes them to pick up more interference than most other devices.

Aug 7, 2018 at 2:07 PM Post #3,910 of 6,859
I'm having trouble with importing Playlist into the R3, i keep getting addition failed whenever I tried to import a Playlist from the file section and if I click a song in the Playlist I get playback failed, file not found message. The Playlist are in m3u, not sure not the problem is.

Aug 8, 2018 at 10:44 PM Post #3,912 of 6,859
The R6 got some FW love yesterday.. I hope the R3 gets one too.

Could someone please explain what the usb mode in setting is. It has 3 options.
  1. Storage
  2. Dock
  3. Audio

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2018 at 1:29 AM Post #3,913 of 6,859
Has anyone loaded the Qobuz application and seen if you can store music to the offline SD Card?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back