The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Jul 9, 2018 at 12:47 PM Post #3,512 of 6,859
My router is dual-band 2.4 and 5 GHz, with WPA2-PSK AES.
My R3 will not connect at all, yet it will connect to my iphone se if I use it in hotspot mode.
Any other thoughts?

If your router is using only 40Mhz channel width, try configuring 20Mhz or compatibility mode 20/40Mhz.
If the R3 has only 1 channel to transmit and receive it wont work on 40Mhz mode.

Jul 9, 2018 at 1:16 PM Post #3,513 of 6,859
If your router is using only 40Mhz channel width, try configuring 20Mhz or compatibility mode 20/40Mhz.
If the R3 has only 1 channel to transmit and receive it wont work on 40Mhz mode.

Thanks for the suggestions.
I'll take a look when I have the opportunity.

However, I believe that a competently engineered wireless device should not require such compromises be made.

Jul 9, 2018 at 2:34 PM Post #3,515 of 6,859
Is the R3 the DAP for me?

For nearly 10 years I've used an iPod Classic 6th gen 120GB and Headstage Arrow amp paired with various bass-orientated IEMs. I eventually settled on UM Merlin CIEMs and have been satisfied for many years. Recently, I borrowed a friend's Cowon Plenue D and was very impressed with the sound by comparison to the iPod and although I felt a bit dirty, I really liked the JetEffect & BBE settings.

I'm looking at potential upgrades from the iPod and the main criteria I'm looking at are improved SQ relative to the iPod, huge storage capacity and slick UI (the Plenue D was a bit of a step back from the iPod in this regard). The R3 and R6 seem to tick these boxes but for price/performance the R3 seems to stand out at £220 + £160 for a 400GB microsd. The R6 looks great but is considerably more expensive and I have concerns about the pairing with my 12 Ohms @ 1kHz Merlins. The other DAP that catches my eye is the Plenue V as it is surely an improved Plenue D. The main thing against it is the storage caps out at 192GB.

Any thoughts?

Cheers!

I have the R3 and the same iPod classic along with a Fiio X7 mkii and I would suggest to not waste your money on the R3. IMO, the UI on the R3 is severely lacking compared to the iPod and other recent DAPs. Some of the issues I've experienced:
- The navigation is very touchy and small - for example, every time I try to go back in a menu via the left top arrow bar, the main menu pulls down. I usually have to do this multiple times before I toggle back.
- Scrolling through multiple songs, albums, artists, etc isn't very intuitive like other UIs - very difficult to pinpoint A through Z while scrolling;
- Album Artwork is slow - Documented extensively here on this thread.
- Does not categorize compilations like Apple Products - so if you have a compilation like "100 Greatest Classical Compositions", every artist listed will need to be scrolled through in the Artist Menu.
- The search functionality is terrible. You have to enter alphabetical characters as you would on a late 90's cell phone (ie, hit the "abc" button 3 times to enter "c")
- The Tidal implementation wasn't very well thought out and plain out sucks compared to other DAPs. You can't really browse through genres or playlists outside of "New Tracks/Albums/Playlists" or your "Collection" that you tagged via another Tidal source.
- 20,000 song limit. I loaded a 256gb SD card with about 25K tracks and it would only get to 20K. You might be better off with the capacity of the iPod.

This is just all off the top of my head from using it for about a week but coming from an iPod, I almost guarantee that you'll be severely disappointed. If you're budget is in the $200 range, I would recommend to look at a Fiio model (X5 mk iii, X 3, M7), Astell & Kern AK100 mk2 (on sale at Adorama) or Cayin model. At the very least, you might be able to buy a CCK for your iPod and use it as a transport for a Ifi DSD nano black label ($199) which should give you much better sound quality.

Jul 9, 2018 at 3:18 PM Post #3,517 of 6,859
Wow, thanks for the honest appraisal! Some of those points sound like deal-breakers to me.

I'll check out the models you mentioned... there's so many to choose from in the £200-£500 price bracket.

Yes so far the R3 is a dud. It was touted as a streaming device and they failed to deliver anything near useable. It should never have shipped in this state. Tidal is not useable...

Jul 9, 2018 at 3:29 PM Post #3,518 of 6,859
Finally, I got my device today

NoiFngs
So, what do you think? How's it working as a transport?

Jul 9, 2018 at 3:33 PM Post #3,519 of 6,859
... a competently engineered wireless device should not require such compromises be made.

I will assume a future firmware will fix the wireless. I really don't want to change the setting for all other wireless devices in the house because of this one unit.

With regard to comparisons with Cayin N3, keep in mind that Hawaii Bad Boy totally disssed the Cayin N5II and loved the Hiby R3. So you know what his view will be.

Another point of view:

Personally, owning both Cayins and two Shanlings, here is my two cents.

Great sound; Shaling M0 and M2S. M0 may actually sound better than the M2S but is harder to navigate. M1 is muddier than either two; but better than a lot of other units on the market.

Superior Sound: Cayin N5II. I don't have the N3 as many people steered me to the Shanling M2S at the time.

Mediocre sound (with Magic 8 ball disengaged): Hiby R3. Hopefully a future firmware can fix this too. Bass is anemic in my point of view with this unit, but rest of sound spectrum is smooth. Anemic bass is a deal killer for me.

Overall; I am less excited about this unit than I thought I would be. Because almost all of the sophisticated features seem unreachable for me due to wifi and other complications, I have to look at it as mainly a unit to play from the memory card. For that function, there are many other units at similar prices that I would go to first.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2018 at 3:59 PM Post #3,520 of 6,859
Overall; I am less excited about this unit than I thought I would be. Because almost all of the sophisticated features seem unreachable for me due to wifi and other complications, I have to look at it as mainly a unit to play from the memory card. For that function, there are many other units at similar prices that I would go to first.

Bummer about the connection issues you and others are having.
I would say this is an accurate description above for the functionality of the R3. I would add that the R3 is very small and light (more than I expected) and would be a good choice for working out....too bad the included case doesn't have some sort of clip.

Jul 9, 2018 at 5:11 PM Post #3,521 of 6,859
I noticed that the EQ doesn't activate with high res files (24bit 96/192Hz or DSD) on my Shangling M1 or M2s. On my iBasso DX150 EQ works with 24bit files but not DSD.

I suspect it's some kind of hardware limitation. It might require more processing power to add EQ to those high res files and all the additional information they contain. It's just a hypothesis on
although i do enjoy R3 sound quality, i think the absent of dedicated amp stage do affect the low end a bit, it just feel artificial sometimes...other than that really liking the player.
im hoping someone to do comparison with cayin n3, was gonna get that before seeing R3 kickstarter.

as far as i know only @Hawaiibadboy has both player...would like to see he's comparison of R3 and N3 and if im correct about dedicated amp and bass concern.

I did a short comparison of the Caynin N3 with the HiBy R3, reference was my Mojo, and headphones the AudioQuest NightOwls, which are easy to drive and (IMHO) very transparent.

The N3 and R3 are quite different, soundwise, but I would have a hard time saying what is better or worse. Actually, it is really not easy to compare them since the signature is so different.

What stands out with the R3 is the thumpy bass, nice and full, and a certain smoothness, a darker sound compared to the N3 overall.
That pronounced bass gives a kind of soundstage foundation, but what confused me for a while was that the mid section (vocals) is a bit recessed and at times slighlty veiled, which also reduces the soundstage somewhat.

The bass on the N3 is lighter, while the mids are clearer and more forward. That gives a different perception of soundstage, more airy and open. Details also seem a little more obvious and voices, piano key strokes and guitar comes across more open. But it’s just a different presentation, not necessarily better.

So overall the Cayin, to me, feels more neutral, leaner and brighter, airier with a more open soundstage.
The HiBy feels punchier, warmer, and a bit smoother. In this sense it sounds more similar to the Chord Mojo than the N3, but without the clarity the Mojo can deliver.
Soundwise, I think I slightly prefered the Cayin today with acoustic music, but the overall package of the HiBy R3 is definitely much nicer, with the nice looking screen and the touch user interface. Considering the pricing, they are both attractive offerings in my opinion.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2018 at 6:25 PM Post #3,522 of 6,859
Really just got it. Charged it, updated the fw and loaded a bunch of hi-res files on it. Using it now with F9 Pro iems with balanced cable. Very happy with the sound. In the next couple of days I’ll try Elex balanced and Aeon open single ended. Will let you know how it goes. Aeons might be a little tough for this DAP.

What are you using with yours?

Hey Wick,

? for you.

Before you got your Elex did you have a chance to listen to the Elear or not & if so are your impressions much aligned with many people in MD that bought them?

I see they’ve dropped again & considering getting them.

Got the Elear & as good as they are I seem to be enjoying listening to my Denon AH-D7200 so much more w the R3 as they just seem to have much more emotive impact for me
The NightHawks are quite nice as well as the Elear but I feel the Denon’s get me more in the gut.
I listened to the new Klipsch Heritage HP3:) recently, gorgeous look in walnut or dark wood w copper accents that remind me much of my Denon lots of dynamics, impact, slam & pretty much else I like & need from top to bottom.
Might consider them.

But reason I’m asking is MD :) suggested it added some of that to the base Elear sound that some find missing.

So just curious if you experienced that extra :muscle:ooomph:punch: yourself.

Also how’s the R3 sound & what have you been using & liking the most?

What about the Elex & Aeon’s?

Jul 9, 2018 at 8:37 PM Post #3,524 of 6,859
although i do enjoy R3 sound quality, i think the absent of dedicated amp stage do affect the low end a bit, it just feel artificial sometimes...other than that really liking the player.
im hoping someone to do comparison with cayin n3, was gonna get that before seeing R3 kickstarter.

as far as i know only @Hawaiibadboy has both player...would like to see he's comparison of R3 and N3 and if im correct about dedicated amp and bass concern.
I have both R3 and N3 (and R6) and I suspect many have both 3’s. I just don’t have the ears or the vocabulary to compare. I backed the R 3 because I strongly prefer the R6 interface to the N3 interface

Jul 9, 2018 at 8:48 PM Post #3,525 of 6,859
Did that work for you?
I was thinking of trying exactly that when I get home tonight.

I'm struggling to reconcile how wireless connectivity is not flawless on a device marketed for its connectivity.

Not to mention the pops and clicks when in DAC mode over usb.
First impressions of this device is that it is awful.
Makes me wonder if the reviewers looking at the R3 months ago are all full of $hit.
I mean, even more than usual...
Wow I’m having none of those problems and my first impression is that it is a Terrific device. There ya go

Users who are viewing this thread

Back