The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Jul 9, 2018 at 9:32 AM Post #3,496 of 6,859
although i do enjoy R3 sound quality, i think the absent of dedicated amp stage do affect the low end a bit, it just feel artificial sometimes...other than that really liking the player.
im hoping someone to do comparison with cayin n3, was gonna get that before seeing R3 kickstarter.

as far as i know only @Hawaiibadboy has both player...would like to see he's comparison of R3 and N3 and if im correct about dedicated amp and bass concern.
I have both players, and while I really like the N3, and IMHO the R3 is better sounding (and the balanced out really pushes it over the top). Also, unless you're using HiBy Link to control it, the N3's capacitive buttons absolutely suck.

Jul 9, 2018 at 9:50 AM Post #3,497 of 6,859
lol. Sorry, I guess it's not funny. Boy oh boy, this has turned into a nightmare for HiBy. To add gas to the fire, it seems everyone now thinks the Shanling MO kicks the R3's ass. Yikes!
I really like HiBy. I like their products and love the HiBy app. When I get my R3, I will only be using it as a transport. I think I will be a happy camper.
fPRvmQceXEV9qtO2pw1KviPlN7bdSEO498hjQwKt0s8qmzd_9EiotIzEIFoGH9MBG6SL9WJ1RDfzLlZVr5jbeW4_sDJKLgC5bqqP4BIhKH1_CDTSTnUfkvN_w06a1xI3gNv_XSwqnwDUI0YBnWvaVsQ-LCEDFE_roT_y9osXjJwFsi2ZQQNGr8VTR0Ee44pIXBQZ5lrPgvziUYsajGV6GKUXzlNfSziiwCMtEfzmizLdrbBfppv4Gz_qMjYhg1wjLC0aW4qGHk3rtnUcVroPgAhAvOc3wZ5WcniMV1CMpyNm89c-ZtIyFu5ZmHhpKZXyHtxlibRt-OeyhFt4r4PkVdN3i3_Wv2g9RgZ7eSpOgepqX602TUpD3zrrBURlY_oZAgDP1tAKnBiOZtxiH9sc6gysYTasbex2KlCtVU9bhedny-csH-a0fsa1IE-VvM2K0Pg0lHj1ck1XfNVAjfjJMGa40IGAyFBgZwI-waKeqMKzbYSHndIct-41-S2PsGPYh94UiCTSwPpts6iW5CBsCAIqOv7R27qcdNIImiBpxX5eTN6sYP_wWygndDNYQZqrBDa0XozzrLADLiB7a8tCaag1zghTRsksIaVQiUU=w36-h18-no

I have both the M0 and R3 and they both have admiral qualities.

I think the R3 pips the post in sound reproduction but the M0 is not far behind.

The M0 is a nifty device and I tend to use it more than the R3 for some reason :)

Jul 9, 2018 at 9:50 AM Post #3,498 of 6,859
I have both players, and while I really like the N3, and IMHO the R3 is better sounding (and the balanced out really pushes it over the top). Also, unless you're using HiBy Link to control it, the N3's capacitive buttons absolutely suck.

Yup. The R3 balanced output makes me want to convert my cables to maximize portability and sq! Pretty neat!

Jul 9, 2018 at 10:06 AM Post #3,500 of 6,859
Two things that is quite annoying about my R3:
1. The time always defaults to Beijing time whenever it connects to Wi-Fi
2. I always get Tap “Subscribe” to start free trial on certain songs in Tidal. I have a valid log in, I can play most of my playlists I’ve no problem streaming songs, no connection dropouts , but for some reason this always pops up, and only for certain songs and artists. I tried logging out then back in, rebooting, resetting, nothing works. I’m on the latest firmware as well.
Is your subscription "HiFI" if not you will not be able to play the Hi Definition fies without upgrade.

Jul 9, 2018 at 10:10 AM Post #3,501 of 6,859
Same here. I tried switching off 5ghz and manually setting the channel in 2.4ghz. Connecting to a mobile hotspot does work however.
I suspect it could be that your router is configured to use the A and N protocols. Try enabling all protocols on the router in 2.4 ghz (A,B, G and N)

Jul 9, 2018 at 10:12 AM Post #3,502 of 6,859
I tried switching off 5ghz and manually setting the channel in 2.4ghz.

Did that work for you?
I was thinking of trying exactly that when I get home tonight.

I'm struggling to reconcile how wireless connectivity is not flawless on a device marketed for its connectivity.

Not to mention the pops and clicks when in DAC mode over usb.
First impressions of this device is that it is awful.
Makes me wonder if the reviewers looking at the R3 months ago are all full of $hit.
I mean, even more than usual...

Jul 9, 2018 at 10:14 AM Post #3,503 of 6,859
Double

Jul 9, 2018 at 10:29 AM Post #3,504 of 6,859
Did that work for you?
I was thinking of trying exactly that when I get home tonight.

I'm struggling to reconcile how wireless connectivity is not flawless on a device marketed for its connectivity.

Not to mention the pops and clicks when in DAC mode over usb.
First impressions of this device is that it is awful.
Makes me wonder if the reviewers looking at the R3 months ago are all full of $hit.
I mean, even more than usual...

I'm afraid it did not... Don't know which setting to try next. I set the network to a/b/g/n and whatnot, this thing would not connect.

Jul 9, 2018 at 10:56 AM Post #3,506 of 6,859
I have both the M0 and R3 and they both have admiral qualities.

I think the R3 pips the post in sound reproduction but the M0 is not far behind.

The M0 is a nifty device and I tend to use it more than the R3 for some reason :)
Pip the Post - To defeat or succeed over someone/something by a very narrow margin.

Learned something today. Sounds like a British idiom.

Jul 9, 2018 at 11:25 AM Post #3,507 of 6,859
Is the R3 the DAP for me?

For nearly 10 years I've used an iPod Classic 6th gen 120GB and Headstage Arrow amp paired with various bass-orientated IEMs. I eventually settled on UM Merlin CIEMs and have been satisfied for many years. Recently, I borrowed a friend's Cowon Plenue D and was very impressed with the sound by comparison to the iPod and although I felt a bit dirty, I really liked the JetEffect & BBE settings.

I'm looking at potential upgrades from the iPod and the main criteria I'm looking at are improved SQ relative to the iPod, huge storage capacity and slick UI (the Plenue D was a bit of a step back from the iPod in this regard). The R3 and R6 seem to tick these boxes but for price/performance the R3 seems to stand out at £220 + £160 for a 400GB microsd. The R6 looks great but is considerably more expensive and I have concerns about the pairing with my 12 Ohms @ 1kHz Merlins. The other DAP that catches my eye is the Plenue V as it is surely an improved Plenue D. The main thing against it is the storage caps out at 192GB.

Any thoughts?

Cheers!

Have had the R3 for a couple of weeks (apologies to anyone still awaiting theirs) but hadn't used the Merlins with it. Just did a very quick test with my old iPod 5.5g - with no MSEB settings applied and EQ turned off the Merlins sound a little thin on the R3. Volume wise it's fine - 42 on low gain and 50 on high gain were fine for normal listening. Plugging the Merlins into the iPod the sound was fuller but I was able to add a bit of bass with MSEB on the R3 and it started to sound better. With a lot more playing around I'm sure I could get it sounding better than the iPod, however, as the R3 doesn't have profiles I probably won't bother as I mainly use iBasso IT01's or Sennheiser HD-25 wired and ATH-WS990BT for wireless use - these all sound great with no MSEB / EQ settings. I'll probably use the R3 for mainly wireless use as I prefer the Cowon P1 for wired headphones - the ability to set profiles for different headphones coupled with the SQ of the P1 make it the better choice for my needs.

If it was a straight up replacement for my iPod it would be great if only using 1 pair of headphones but having had the P1 I would now miss the profiles. I know there's been a lot of mixed experiences with this DAP but once I changed the the home Wi-Fi password from a 15 character to a 10 character password it connects great and I can sign in + use Tidal. Have fun deciding!

The UM Merlins do look pretty with the R3 though :relaxed:

Merlin.jpg

Jul 9, 2018 at 12:23 PM Post #3,510 of 6,859
:japanese_ogre:
Pip the Post - To defeat or succeed over someone/something by a very narrow margin.

Learned something today. Sounds like a British idiom.

:L3000: I’m surprised you never caught on V was a Brit in disguise:spy: with all his colourful euphemisms bantering back & forth.!
I would’ve thought the Black:japanese_ogre:Wych conversation would’ve been a dead giveaway :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:https://www.wychwood.co.uk/shop/clothing/black-wych/

:wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back