The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Apr 3, 2018 at 4:47 AM Post #691 of 6,859
Thanks @Joe Bloggs for the reply, much appreciated.

Just to add to it, the quad drivers of the B400 should be no issues to drive power wise? (Sorry new to all this)

Backup and restore sounds fantastic... I wonder if it can tie into an online version of your accounts playlist so you can log in and manage it on a PC/MAC (aka a larger screen) then it can sync back to the device.

Cheers.

In short B400 has no issues because balanced armatures consume very little power. If you are curious head to the reddit r/headphones guide by QuipA at https://sites.google.com/view/quipa/power-calculator and put in the power values of the R3 as 56mW at 32 ohm >> 1.34V. Let me know how your B400s are going, I am eyeing them too actually haha.

For now you can always use apps to manage playlists. I personally like MusicBee a lot.

Apr 3, 2018 at 5:01 AM Post #692 of 6,859
In short B400 has no issues because balanced armatures consume very little power. If you are curious head to the reddit r/headphones guide by QuipA at https://sites.google.com/view/quipa/power-calculator and put in the power values of the R3 as 56mW at 32 ohm >> 1.34V. Let me know how your B400s are going, I am eyeing them too actually haha.

For now you can always use apps to manage playlists. I personally like MusicBee a lot.

Thanks for the reply and information @gemmoglock, I really appreciate it.

Definitely going to check out MusicBee, looks great. I wonder if you made a playlist on it, you could sync it to the R3?

Apr 3, 2018 at 5:38 AM Post #693 of 6,859
Get the R6.
I was sent an early (knowingly on my part) unit with a goal of having a working one to review. The device I have is unable to do DSP (MSEB), it also has a warm sound like X5iii which I like for long listening but detail is lost. Is that related to this unit and it's condition? i have no idea. The R6 early unit had none of these issues. In fact it is a badass device from the day it first got turned on.

The DH1000 is fantastic which is shocking given Hidisz recent issues. The treble on DH1000 has more detail than other 2 but it needs a case 100% without question. Piano black lacquer finish....on both sides..the fuuuu?

Thanks for the feedback! Very valuable input!

I am worried about the impedance of the R6 though.
I have 1More Triple IEMs, B&O H6 Gen 2 and Sennheiser M2 OE, all in the mid-fi price range and with 30 Ohms rather easy to drive headphones.
Do you think they would be ok with 10 ohm impedance and do you think they'd be sufficient to benefit significantly from the SQ improvement of the R6 over the R3?

Apr 3, 2018 at 6:56 AM Post #694 of 6,859

I have 1More Triple IEMs, B&O H6 Gen 2 and Sennheiser M2 OE, all in the mid-fi price range and with 30 Ohms rather easy to drive headphones.
Do you think they would be ok with 10 ohm impedance and do you think they'd be sufficient to benefit significantly from the SQ improvement of the R6 over the R3?

Those IEM should be fine with R6 or R3.

IO topic....

Has anyone up until now (April 3, 2018) cited a specific set and song and part of the song which will demonstrate the issue of the 10 ohm?
Let me go ahead and demonstrate how you should have read this from the first reviews:

IEM : Sony XBA-4

Sony_XBA-4_Center_-_-_-_-_-_20-20k_-_impedance.png

Impedance: 8 ohm

Track used:

Taking it to the Street - The Doobie Brothers.

Noted issue:

Bass line (Bass Guitar) in opening of track is reduced noticeably by 3-5 dB it seems

Time of Issue:

:03 - :53 used for this example

Solution

Use another set or use an item like Ifi IeMatch to correct issue

I had to buy an 8 ohm set just to see an issue. Anything over 16 and it should not be of concern and IEMatch will correct any if you buy a low impedance set.

Apr 3, 2018 at 7:56 AM Post #695 of 6,859

Output Impedance of the device (be it a digital audio player or an amp) should be minimum 8 times lower than the earphone/headphone's impedance to be on the safe side. So in your case, your headphone's impedance is 30 ohms;

Minimum output impedance = headphone impedance / 8
Minimum output impedance = 30 / 8
Minimum output impedance = 3,75 ohms

So the device you put your headphone's jack into should have max 3,75 ohms of output impedance for no altering to the analog signal.

Apr 3, 2018 at 8:22 AM Post #696 of 6,859
Thanks for the reply and information @gemmoglock, I really appreciate it.

Definitely going to check out MusicBee, looks great. I wonder if you made a playlist on it, you could sync it to the R3?

Well I don't have an R3 yet to test :wink: But you can create playlists definitely to just choose which files you can sync over from your computer to the R3.

For getting the R3 to read the same playlist, maybe @Joe Bloggs can share what playlist format is supported. I am quite confident that Musicbee will be fine as in sync settings, it is able to generate many different playlist formats.

Cheers!

Apr 3, 2018 at 9:42 AM Post #697 of 6,859
I think I'm like backer 890
looking forward to a Tidal app on my player
I wonder if it supports offline downloading like my phone does

Apr 3, 2018 at 2:25 PM Post #698 of 6,859
I may join this train after being out of the DAP game since the iAudio X5!

**Edit** I'm on the train and added some for the leather case (HK $ 1,607 if anyone else needs to know the correct amount for R3 early bird + slip case)

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2018 at 7:57 PM Post #701 of 6,859
Does anyone happen to know when the payment will be taken? Is it at the end of the remaining 22 days?

Apr 3, 2018 at 8:10 PM Post #703 of 6,859
Does anyone happen to know when the payment will be taken? Is it at the end of the remaining 22 days?
Like @AndySocial said... Here's kickstarter's exact language.

When is my card charged?
If the project you’re backing is successfully funded, your card will be charged when the project reaches its funding deadline. If the project does not reach its funding goal, your card is never charged.
Some backers may see a temporary authorization of funds at the time of pledging, before a project has been successfully funded. Authorizations generally drop after a few days, but this process can vary depending on your financial institution. If you notice an authorization that doesn’t drop, we recommend that you contact your bank for more details about their authorization procedure.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2018 at 4:10 PM Post #704 of 6,859
Those IEM should be fine with R6 or R3.
Thanks once more for your feedback and professional experience!
With all the information collected and your input I let it all settle and came to a clear decision to go for the R3 as the source for truly portable music with my over ear headphones or the IEMs, and later add a Chord Mojo, and use the R3 as transport.

The R6 looks really interesting as well, but the Mojo seems to be a clear step ahead and I want to try if it could replace my DAC in the home stereo system.
The R3 + Hidizs dh1000 was another consideration, and the Hidizs really looks gorgeous, but the available reviews are a little mixed, while the Mojo gets raving reviews from everyone.

Now really looking forward to the R3!

Apr 4, 2018 at 4:13 PM Post #705 of 6,859
Thanks once more for your feedback and professional experience!
With all the information collected and your input I let it all settle and came to a clear decision to go for the R3 as the source for truly portable music with my over ear headphones or the IEMs, and later add a Chord Mojo, and use the R3 as transport.

The R6 looks really interesting as well, but the Mojo seems to be a clear step ahead and I want to try if it could replace my DAC in the home stereo system.
The R3 + Hidizs dh1000 was another consideration, and the Hidizs really looks gorgeous, but the available reviews are a little mixed, while the Mojo gets raving reviews from everyone.

Now really looking forward to the R3!
Mojo is just, amazing. But too bad you are gonna need a transport rather than a phone for a clean signal. At the moment R3 is the best bang for the buck option if you are streaming Tidal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back