The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Mar 1, 2018 at 9:41 PM Post #64 of 6,859
I hope SS or Aluminium frames are an option. If those are plastic I’m not too jazzed!

http://www.erji.net/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=2099438

From a thread about Can Jam in Shanghai.

"HiBy R3 is a powerful small size nondestructive music player, 3.2 inch capacitive touch screen, colorful aluminum body, built-in ES9028Q2M decoder chip, WiFi, bidirectional APT-X, bidirectional USB DAC output, DLNA, AirPlay, Has a 2.5mm balanced port, 3.5mm single port, small and versatile music wizard."

Mar 1, 2018 at 10:48 PM Post #65 of 6,859
Hopefully, HiBy would fix the R6 issues first... most notable, the album art issue!
This one is not Android based - might have a different version of the HiBy Music Player app, though.

Mar 2, 2018 at 8:31 AM Post #66 of 6,859
Hopefully, HiBy would fix the R6 issues first... most notable, the album art issue!
This one is not Android based - might have a different version of the HiBy Music Player app, though.
The great thing about the R6 is that you are not stuck with using the HiBy app. Many other music apps work perfectly in the device and the device is solid. I don't have ANY issues with the R6 at all! My album art works great in the HiBy app. I don't know why some are experiencing these issues. Most likely Apple platform users who are not experienced with SD card usage and impacts to the device. The R6 is excellent!

Mar 2, 2018 at 9:06 AM Post #67 of 6,859
The great thing about the R6 is that you are not stuck with using the HiBy app. Many other music apps work perfectly in the device and the device is solid. I don't have ANY issues with the R6 at all! My album art works great in the HiBy app. I don't know why some are experiencing these issues. Most likely Apple platform users who are not experienced with SD card usage and impacts to the device. The R6 is excellent!
Can you tell me about the mageball 8? Did you personally use it? If so, how was the experience?

Mar 2, 2018 at 9:31 AM Post #68 of 6,859
Can you tell me about the mageball 8? Did you personally use it? If so, how was the experience?
MSEB, as it's called on the device, works very similar to Viper4Android on the FIIO X5III. It does a great job of enhancing certain aspects of the sound. The R6 is a somewhat neutral device with a warm tint, and you can use MSEB to adjust the music to your liking. If you like the music more neutral, less bass, more bass, voices more forward or recessed, etc. The OI on this thing is 10ohms, but I am using multi BA's (16ohm) with no effect to the sound. It's amazing, really.

Mar 2, 2018 at 11:36 AM Post #70 of 6,859
Will it have an unlimited database like the android app?
Since the r3 will have a custom hiby os which is basically the hiby app with a few tweaks here and there, i think it should have that

Mar 2, 2018 at 12:50 PM Post #71 of 6,859
If this supports spotify and obviously it won’t need to ‘bypass’ android so it should sound as pure as the dac/amp allows with streaming apps?

I wonder what the difference will be from the dual dac R6 in terms of SQ. I heard the R6 was a little dark and not sparkley in the treble? I wonder if this shares a similar tuning.

Looks very interesting...

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2018 at 6:05 PM Post #72 of 6,859
R3 is not Android based, and is unclear whether or not 3rd party apps can be installed / used...
My album art works just fine on FiiO X5III, so it is NOT a case of "Apple platform users who are not experienced with SD card usage and impacts to the device". (I have been using Windows PCs for 25-30 years!!)

Mar 2, 2018 at 7:23 PM Post #73 of 6,859
I owned the FiiO X5III and I find it an inferior comparison to the R6 in many ways. As a matter of fact, the FiiO had similar problems with its HiBy app, as well. My point is, you bashed the ENTIRE device for the shortcomings of one app! Your comment suggested the R6 needed fixing based on the album art issue, not the HiBy app, which is the culprit. This IS NOT a case of the R6 needing a fix, but the HiBy app, which has been buggy across all devices - Shanling, Cayin, and FiiO alike. There are many other apps that apparently don't have the album art issue, some of which are MUCH BETTER than the HiBy app! Even @Joe Bloggs said so! But, to arrive on another thread and paint a product as needing repair is unfair to an otherwise outstanding device. I haven't had any issues with my album art (save the first one when I start the app), and it, too was the same SD card from my FiiO X5lll, which is why I think it could be an SD card issue. Some Micro SD cards are inferior to others. That's a fact. Yes, there are other Android app based issues with Tidal streaming, etc. that some are having, and some aren't. I feel like these are mostly developer issues with the apps, since apps like Spotify work perfectly. The R3 won't be app based, so there may not be any issues related to Tidal streaming. We won't know until the device is launched.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2018 at 7:31 PM Post #74 of 6,859
I owned the FiiO X5III and I find it an inferior comparison to the R6 in many ways. As a matter of fact, the FiiO had similar problems with its HiBy app, as well. My point is, you bashed the ENTIRE device for the shortcomings of one app! Your comment suggested the R6 needed fixing based on the album art issue, not the HiBy app, which is the culprit. This IS NOT a case of the R6 needing a fix, but the HiBy app, which has been buggy across all devices - Shanling, Cayin, and FiiO alike. There are many other apps that apparently don't have the album art issue, some of which are MUCH BETTER than the HiBy app! Even @Joe Bloggs said so! But, to arrive on another thread and paint a product as needing repair is unfair to an otherwise outstanding device. I haven't had any issues with my album art (save the first one when I start the app), and it, too was the same SD card from my FiiO X5lll, which is why I think it could be an SD card issue. Some Micro SD cards are inferior to others. That's a fact. Yes, there are other Android app based issues with Tidal streaming, etc. that some are having, and some aren't. I feel like these are mostly developer issues with the apps, since apps like Spotify work perfectly. The R3 won't be app based, so there may not be any issues related to Tidal streaming. We won't know until the device is launched.
Agree It's definitely the Hiby app the culprit here as I've also highlighted in the R6 forum.

BTW, in which ways do you find the R6 superior to the X5iii? Thanks and sorry for the off topic.

Mar 2, 2018 at 7:32 PM Post #75 of 6,859
If this supports spotify and obviously it won’t need to ‘bypass’ android so it should sound as pure as the dac/amp allows with streaming apps?

I wonder what the difference will be from the dual dac R6 in terms of SQ. I heard the R6 was a little dark and not sparkley in the treble? I wonder if this shares a similar tuning.

Looks very interesting...
I'm mostly using the R6 through the SE out and I can tell you it sounds amazing! So much so, I've yet to use it through balanced out, for fear it will sound so much better I will abandon the SE! Battery life suffers on balanced out, hence my reluctance to switch. SE uses only the single DAC. Balanced uses both. See my comments above on R6 sound....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back