The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Apr 25, 2018 at 5:04 AM Post #1,201 of 6,859
As a side note about expenses, after me and my wife going vegan, my monthly food costs have dropped drastically. It is like I am spending 70% less for food. And in turn we are also getting healthier. I never thought I could do it without meat and dairy, but trust me if I did anyone can do.

@turkayguner:

Great point & good for you, that takes some serious will power!

I also 2nd your request to the Hiby to include that cable as a bonus as there absolutely no way the final goal will be achieved & they’ve reach likely a higher pledge amount than the might’ve hoped for & as with you I don’t want to be paying for extra shipppng & taxes + duties to have it shipped after the fact,ship the cable with the unit for all of us that have totally committed to this new DAP of theirs!

We all know for a fact [with a little google research] that those cables we pay $ for around the world are produced in China for next to nothing as in pennies in bulk.
As we are not talking about high end audiophile interconnects or speaker cables actually made in Switzerland, Germany, Japan or US that cost hundreds & multiples of thousands of dollars made from multi strand gold/silver copper cables that are far too expensive themselves!

We are talking about a very short ? quality copper cable maybe thinly plated that cost a glass of H20 to make, so please to be kind to us & ship the cable with the R3!

Thx...

Apr 25, 2018 at 5:08 AM Post #1,202 of 6,859
Respect!!!
Sounds like a good decision.
The N3 is really nice and the APP makes it quite user friendly too.

Good to hear a sane voice in the whole "new toy frenzy"
not a forum for sane decisions :wink:

Apr 25, 2018 at 8:40 AM Post #1,204 of 6,859
Agreed! With the AP200, Hidizs has left a bad taste in my mouth. I won’t be buying an other product from them again.

Would be interesting to know what the ap80 has before kickstarter ends.

I have the ap60 1st gen, and there firmware support stopped almost a year ago and its removed from their site. Was hoping they would fix the headphone controls not working when screen off.

So maybe hiby will be better with updates? I was told on facebook that bt controls would work on this one.

Apr 25, 2018 at 12:22 PM Post #1,205 of 6,859
I just downloaded Tidal.... and... no free ... everything is stream payd.... so I wont being using it... and apple music at my other devices..... does anyone know other apps on the R3?

Apr 25, 2018 at 12:32 PM Post #1,206 of 6,859
Let's not get started discussing about which has better sound quality :wink: First, "play store" is only for Android so you will need something like the Hiby R6. This runs Hiby OS instead of Android.

If you read earlier, Spotify is not confirmed yet, so don't be alarmed if you don't see it on the R3! If you have used Apple products for long, you should know that Apple rarely encourages their software/services to be supported on other OSes unless absolutely necessary. Airplay, ALAC and many other things while implemented well are glaring examples of this mentality.

Do refer back to the Kickstarter campaign page - if something is not mentioned, it isn't supported. Maybe Hiby should put this as a FAQ also? :thinking:

Props from Singapore and if you join the campaign, hope you enjoy the R3 :D

Just asked them about the apps. I installed Tidal... and... everything is payd... make it rain $$$... I'm not going to pay another stream service when I'm already a premium user at another... to the Apple issue they answered this: (attatched)

So it's just wait now.
Maybe there will be other apps.. or.maybe I'll have to transfer (somehow) all my library from my android to an sd card and play it @R3 from time to time... if it's to be portable... its not to be airplayall the time cause... byebye battery.. I think...

Crossing fingers on the R3.

No pain no gain.

Props

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180425-172656.jpg
    Screenshot_20180425-172656.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 0
Apr 25, 2018 at 12:33 PM Post #1,207 of 6,859
I just downloaded Tidal.... and... no free ... everything is stream payd.... so I wont being using it... and apple music at my other devices..... does anyone know other apps on the R3?

For the international ROM, no. Tidal isn't free, but that's why you can load your music onto the sdcard. I'm getting it for the Hiby Link functionality and USB DAC: when you plug in the DAP as a line out/source and are working elsewhere with your phone, you can still change tracks. USB DAC is great as I work/study at my laptop a lot and I can just connect the R3 to my laptop and continue listening :)

Just asked them about the apps. I installed Tidal... and... everything is payd... make it rain $$$... I'm not going to pay another stream service when I'm already a premium user at another... to the Apple issue they answered this: (attatched)

So it's just wait now.
Maybe there will be other apps.. or.maybe I'll have to transfer (somehow) all my library from my android to an sd card and play it @R3 from time to time... if it's to be portable... its not to be airplayall the time cause... byebye battery.. I think...

Crossing fingers on the R3.

No pain no gain.

Props

Ummm I don't work for Hiby please don't mix me up with @Joe Bloggs or other staff, I only highlight information I can already find on the Kickstarter page. :sweat_smile: Wouldn't mind working for Hiby and getting my hands on an R3 right now haha.

If you have a Windows PC, MusicBee is a useful music player/manager I use to keep my SD card synced nicely.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2018 at 12:38 PM Post #1,208 of 6,859
For the international ROM, no. Tidal isn't free, but that's why you can load your music onto the sdcard. I'm getting it for the Hiby Link functionality and USB DAC: when you plug in the DAP as a line out/source and are working elsewhere with your phone, you can still change tracks. USB DAC is great as I work/study at my laptop a lot and I can just connect the R3 to my laptop and continue listening :)

Amazing answer ! Help me here cause I'm a Noob. Usb Dac... Will be possible only with the last goal achieved right..?

I'll check Music Bee.
Didn't know it.. been using ITunes since 2009 nanoipod. I'LL check it and send some vibes to my sdcard. Already got my flac Lib on it ahah

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2018 at 12:47 PM Post #1,209 of 6,859
Next time go to Sam's club and buy that huge box of instant ramen noodles and eat those for the next month- super cheap- food problem solved and more money for gears:) I've lived on those things for weeks, back in the day. Of course it's very hard to eat the same thing every day and can reek serious havoc on your digestive system. The secret is to not use the whole spice packet, you know to keep the sodium below heart attack levels.

But no pain no gain ha ha.
Only ramen I'm eating:
image.jpg

But then again, I'm virtually this:

As a side note about expenses, after me and my wife going vegan, my monthly food costs have dropped drastically. It is like I am spending 70% less for food. And in turn we are also getting healthier. I never thought I could do it without meat and dairy, but trust me if I did anyone can do.

Respect!!!
Sounds like a good decision.
The N3 is really nice and the APP makes it quite user friendly too.

Good to hear a sane voice in the whole "new toy frenzy"

The R3 looks pretty, which is probably what lured me... But if money wasn't that big of an issue, right now, I'd get it without hesitation .. The R3 is testament that you don't need to spend a lot to get a lot... it seems like a great value.

Apr 25, 2018 at 12:49 PM Post #1,210 of 6,859
Amazing answer ! Help me here cause I'm a Noob. Usb Dac... Will be possible only with the last goal achieved right..?

I am referring to the R3 being the DAC. So you only need the included USB cable in the box to connect from PC to R3. The PC sends the audio digitally to the R3, the R3 turns the digital signal into analogue signal for your earphones when you plug them into R3.

The last stretch goal is NOT for R3 being the DAC. It is for R3 to send the digital signal to another DAC, such as the Mojo. So the R3 only sends the digital signal and the other DAC will turn the digital signal into analogue for your earphones, which are connected to the Mojo not the R3.

It's not the most technically detailed/accurate explanation but I hope you understand!

As some mentioned, the USB-Coax cable is NOT the only way to digital out to Mojo etc. Another way is to connect a USB-USB cable. However as no one has tested this, I can't comment on the quality. Depending on the R3 and the DAC you connect, sometimes USB-USB has less noise/interference, sometimes USB-Coax, sometimes no difference. The USB-Coax if using standard wiring, can also be bought from elsewhere and not just Hiby.

I'll check Music Bee.
Didn't know it.. been using ITunes since 2009 nanoipod. I'LL check it and send some vibes to my sdcard. Already got my flac Lib on it ahah

There are many apps, have fun and use Google when you have issues. Foobar is another great app but I never really got used to the UI.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2018 at 12:52 PM Post #1,211 of 6,859
Only ramen I'm eating:
image.jpg

Best diversion from all the R3 talk on the thread! :thumbsup:It's past midnight local time but this is making me hungry LOL.

Totally deserves an upvote on Reddit or something. Looks good (ramen and bowl) and definitely should taste good :D

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2018 at 1:58 PM Post #1,212 of 6,859
I am referring to the R3 being the DAC. So you only need the included USB cable in the box to connect from PC to R3. The PC sends the audio digitally to the R3, the R3 turns the digital signal into analogue signal for your earphones when you plug them into R3.

The last stretch goal is NOT for R3 being the DAC. It is for R3 to send the digital signal to another DAC, such as the Mojo. So the R3 only sends the digital signal and the other DAC will turn the digital signal into analogue for your earphones, which are connected to the Mojo not the R3.

It's not the most technically detailed/accurate explanation but I hope you understand!

As some mentioned, the USB-Coax cable is NOT the only way to digital out to Mojo etc. Another way is to connect a USB-USB cable. However as no one has tested this, I can't comment on the quality. Depending on the R3 and the DAC you connect, sometimes USB-USB has less noise/interference, sometimes USB-Coax, sometimes no difference. The USB-Coax if using standard wiring, can also be bought from elsewhere and not just Hiby.

There are many apps, have fun and use Google when you have issues. Foobar is another great app but I never really got used to the UI.
The R3 is NOT Android so I don’t believe we can add apps. R6 IS Android and you can load apps to your hearts content, but it is also nearly 3 times the cost.

Apr 25, 2018 at 2:22 PM Post #1,213 of 6,859
The R3 is NOT Android so I don’t believe we can add apps. R6 IS Android and you can load apps to your hearts content, but it is also nearly 3 times the cost.

I'd be pretty surprised if it's not Android, actually. I mean, I know they SAY it's not Android, but that doesn't mean it's not just a heavily customized version. It's not AOSP, for sure. But they're not going to develop an OS from the kernel up. There's something underneath. I'd think they would go with Android because they already had an Android app and Android development experience. But maybe it's some other kernel.

Either way, all they would have to do is release an SDK and we could develop apps for it.

Apr 25, 2018 at 2:33 PM Post #1,214 of 6,859
I'd be pretty surprised if it's not Android, actually. I mean, I know they SAY it's not Android, but that doesn't mean it's not just a heavily customized version. It's not AOSP, for sure. But they're not going to develop an OS from the kernel up. There's something underneath. I'd think they would go with Android because they already had an Android app and Android development experience. But maybe it's some other kernel.

Either way, all they would have to do is release an SDK and we could develop apps for it.

I saw somewhere that the R3 is based on Linux software.

Apr 25, 2018 at 2:35 PM Post #1,215 of 6,859

R3 isn't Android, correct. I was actually referring to applications on PC @Cato IluDe can use for library syncing to his SD card :)

If they release an SDK develop something for us :wink: The kernel development is an interesting point if Hiby's software engineers share how they approached it. Android isn't fully optimised for a small screen and battery though so they may have decided it was better just starting with a different kernel from scratch. For example, almost no one was able to address Android audio resampling seriously until the R6 came out, IIRC. LG V20 and many Android DAPs all resample the audio file. I don't know if I can tell bit perfect audio, but it is an example of just how much of Android needs to be customised ground up for a DAP, no mean feat. So many start with Linux, such as Fiio and Onkyo for their custom firmwares.

Edit: Thanks @CactusPete23 for the info that Hiby OS is based on Linux.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back