The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Apr 25, 2018 at 2:48 PM Post #1,216 of 6,859
R3 isn't Android, correct. I was actually referring to applications on PC @Cato IluDe can use for library syncing to his SD card :)

If they release an SDK develop something for us :wink: The kernel development is an interesting point if Hiby's software engineers share how they approached it. Android isn't fully optimised for a small screen and battery though so they may have decided it was better just starting with a different kernel from scratch. For example, almost no one was able to address Android audio resampling seriously until the R6 came out, IIRC. LG V20 and many Android DAPs all resample the audio file. I don't know if I can tell bit perfect audio, but it is an example of just how much of Android needs to be customised ground up for a DAP, no mean feat. So many start with Linux, such as Fiio and Onkyo for their custom firmwares.

Edit: As @CactusPete23 pointed out Hiby also started with Linux for the R3 OS too.

the other thing that made me think Android is that 8.0 supports LDAC natively, and I thought that might be where they got it from. I suspect that @CactusPete23 got that from their marketing, which does say that it's Linux. But Android is based on the Linux kernel, too. So...

Apr 25, 2018 at 3:06 PM Post #1,217 of 6,859
One of the most important facts why I backed the R3 is because it is not android.

Apr 25, 2018 at 3:29 PM Post #1,218 of 6,859
One of the most important facts why I backed the R3 is because it is not android.
Wow, didn’t intend to spark this sub-topic, but glad I did; this is interesting stuff. And of course there are two camps of users - the ‘just release the sdk’ crowd, and the group I belong to, the “TiVo crowd” ( “I don’t want to have to do anything to it, I just want it to work”). Fun either way. Thank you all for the additional information!

Apr 25, 2018 at 4:56 PM Post #1,219 of 6,859
Only ramen I'm eating:
image.jpg

But then again, I'm virtually this:

The R3 looks pretty, which is probably what lured me... But if money wasn't that big of an issue, right now, I'd get it without hesitation .. The R3 is testament that you don't need to spend a lot to get a lot... it seems like a great value.

Oh god I don't think I could get ramen that good where I live, that looks amazingly delish. But it is close to supper time so....... I'm ravenous lol.

Apr 25, 2018 at 6:24 PM Post #1,220 of 6,859
I'd be pretty surprised if it's not Android, actually. I mean, I know they SAY it's not Android, but that doesn't mean it's not just a heavily customized version. It's not AOSP, for sure. But they're not going to develop an OS from the kernel up. There's something underneath. I'd think they would go with Android because they already had an Android app and Android development experience. But maybe it's some other kernel.

Either way, all they would have to do is release an SDK and we could develop apps for it.

I know nothing of code. But design is ez ahah team up ftw if needed

Apr 26, 2018 at 7:09 AM Post #1,226 of 6,859
I'd be pretty surprised if it's not Android, actually. I mean, I know they SAY it's not Android, but that doesn't mean it's not just a heavily customized version. It's not AOSP, for sure. But they're not going to develop an OS from the kernel up. There's something underneath. I'd think they would go with Android because they already had an Android app and Android development experience. But maybe it's some other kernel.

Either way, all they would have to do is release an SDK and we could develop apps for it.

you do know hiby has been developing OS for other DAPs for years now!
they are software company first before hardware..if anyone can develop OS for music player its surely them, Hiby OS probably based on Linux.

anyway...95min left :)

Apr 26, 2018 at 7:20 AM Post #1,227 of 6,859
Last few hours oh god oh god I feel so pumped up :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back