The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Apr 23, 2018 at 2:17 PM Post #1,156 of 6,859
Well with their beta FW, UI/freezes issues seem to be gone.

I was hoping the R3 would support Spotify. But it seems now it's either the N5II or Pioneer XDP-300R.

I have an xdp-300 and it sounds amazing, but the battery life is abysmal for streaming. In fact I only use it for playing music from micro SD then if I’m lucky I get 8/9 hrs. (Airplane mode on/everything turned off)

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2018 at 3:05 PM Post #1,157 of 6,859
As I stated yesterday or day before that I might have missed this being posted or discussed but this link from Sweden seems to indicate the issues with Hiby et al & Spotify is that its completely on Spotify as they either really don’t know what their business model is & or they don’t care to expand by allowing Hiby et al to include Spotify to their devices without jumping thru hoops!

Hopefully it’ll get added sooner than later, but for myself it’s inclusion as well as Tidal etc isn’t the biggest or main reason I’m buying the R3 [PLEX would be great] so I’m not overly concerned but it’s still illuminating & disconserting what’s going on with Spotify.

Just a thought...

Apr 23, 2018 at 3:41 PM Post #1,158 of 6,859
The R3 has so many features that make it really attractive for me -- small form factor, balanced out (big for me), AirPlay, streaming, wi-fi, so I'm also not going to get worked up about what streaming services they manage to add or don't add. While it would be nice for them to be natively supported, almost all of the time I'll have my phone and can stream from that. I don't think the feature set can be beat for the price.

I guess I don't understand why people are saying "Add XYZ service or I want my money back." I'm sure HiBy is working hard to get as much capability as possible, and hopefully they keep updating the firmware as time goes on and they make deals, but this isn't Android-based so it's never going to have everything in the world. It still looks like a killer piece of equipment and I can't wait for it to show up in my mailbox!

Apr 23, 2018 at 4:04 PM Post #1,159 of 6,859
The R3 has so many features that make it really attractive for me -- small form factor, balanced out (big for me), AirPlay, streaming, wi-fi, so I'm also not going to get worked up about what streaming services they manage to add or don't add. While it would be nice for them to be natively supported, almost all of the time I'll have my phone and can stream from that. I don't think the feature set can be beat for the price.

I guess I don't understand why people are saying "Add XYZ service or I want my money back." I'm sure HiBy is working hard to get as much capability as possible, and hopefully they keep updating the firmware as time goes on and they make deals, but this isn't Android-based so it's never going to have everything in the world. It still looks like a killer piece of equipment and I can't wait for it to show up in my mailbox!

@ Mouseman:

I agree 100%, just waiting for shipment to my hands so I can plug in my Elearheadphones & enjoy new audio bliss...

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2018 at 11:09 PM Post #1,160 of 6,859
HiBy R3 Review up on both my website and Head-Fi! :beyersmile:

Website: https://audio123blog.wordpress.com/2018/04/16/hiby-r3/
Headi-Fi: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/hiby-r3.23059/reviews#review-20193

hibyr3.jpg

Apr 23, 2018 at 11:45 PM Post #1,161 of 6,859
Apr 24, 2018 at 12:56 AM Post #1,162 of 6,859
Im sure at least some of you read about speculation that Spotify will come out with their own hardware soon (car streamer etc.). It makes total sense if they would avoid letting a great device such as the R3 dip into that. Unless this streamer comes with data, there are many other choices.

Apr 24, 2018 at 1:15 AM Post #1,163 of 6,859
I completely agree.

I made a similar sentiment on the Poly thread. As an owner of the Poly, I can most definitely attest that it is rather cumbersome to use.

Poly ($700+)
- seamless physical lines matching the Mojo
- no extra data cable
- airplay and bt
- wap and ap client
- streaming client
- dlna server

- clunky interface
- some issues with bt (clicking) and wifi (some limitations)

R3 ($229 retail)
- similar form factor to Mojo, so nicely stackable ending up slightly thicker
- requires a cable to connect to Mojo
- great screen
- likely (at least from reviews), great software UI
- some streaming client capabilities
- likely easy and granular playlist making

It's kind of hard to reconcile the fact that the R3, with the extra technology for the screen, can cost $229 while the Poly costs over $700.
Nice summary!
Actually I bought the Mojo
I completely agree.

I made a similar sentiment on the Poly thread. As an owner of the Poly, I can most definitely attest that it is rather cumbersome to use.

Poly ($700+)
- seamless physical lines matching the Mojo
- no extra data cable
- airplay and bt
- wap and ap client
- streaming client
- dlna server

- clunky interface
- some issues with bt (clicking) and wifi (some limitations)

R3 ($229 retail)
- similar form factor to Mojo, so nicely stackable ending up slightly thicker
- requires a cable to connect to Mojo
- great screen
- likely (at least from reviews), great software UI
- some streaming client capabilities
- likely easy and granular playlist making

It's kind of hard to reconcile the fact that the R3, with the extra technology for the screen, can cost $229 while the Poly costs over $700.

Nice summary!
I bought the Mojo to combine with the R3 for all the reasons you have mentioned, plus one more: the HiBy Remote control App!
I am using the Cayin N3, and it's pretty nice to have the DAP in the jacket pocket, and control it with the mobile phone.

I am thinking about how to stack the 2 though, as I want to design a 3D printed enclosure.
It's a bit challenging to consider design, cooling, access to all the controls and package size.
My preferred form factor would be side by side, with the R3 lifted to create a flush surface with the Mojo, but that would block access to the side controls of the R3 facing the Mojo...
Anyway - need to get it all in hands and start playing with configurations.
Can't wait!

Apr 24, 2018 at 1:21 AM Post #1,164 of 6,859
Im sure at least some of you read about speculation that Spotify will come out with their own hardware soon (car streamer etc.). It makes total sense if they would avoid letting a great device such as the R3 dip into that. Unless this streamer comes with data, there are many other choices.

@ ddr:

Maybe that has something to do with this I came across,it’s strange or at the very least curious as to what Spotify’s mindset & business plan is going forward. https://community.roonlabs.com/t/spotify-s-problem-and-huffpost-and-censorship/36915
Hopefully Spotify wakes up to the fact they need to add/include a true HiRes option to their High Tier Lineup [for those of us that want a Real High End Audio option on the device], something far better than Tidal or slowly Spotify will get marginalized & end up in the losing end...

Apr 24, 2018 at 1:33 AM Post #1,165 of 6,859
Nice summary!
I am thinking about how to stack the 2 though, as I want to design a 3D printed enclosure.
It's a bit challenging to consider design, cooling, access to all the controls and package size.
My preferred form factor would be side by side, with the R3 lifted to create a flush surface with the Mojo, but that would block access to the side controls of the R3 facing the Mojo...
Anyway - need to get it all in hands and start playing with configurations.
Can't wait!

3D printed design would be very cool.

I like your idea of a side by side, that would be very cool. And having the R3 raised some to be flush with the Mojo is also a great idea. Brilliant

In transport mode, the R3 volume rocker is not necessary so blocking it is not a problem, since the Mojo has volume control buttons.

If you do make a 3D skeletal or wrap around case for it, I might want to buy one off you (^-^).

Apr 24, 2018 at 3:23 AM Post #1,166 of 6,859

Spot on. People forget at the end of the day this is still a Kickstarter.

If you're worried about the non-performance of the product, or that it will fall short on features, just don't back it. Wait until full retail.

Apr 24, 2018 at 6:41 AM Post #1,167 of 6,859
Apr 24, 2018 at 8:29 AM Post #1,168 of 6,859
Apr 24, 2018 at 8:37 AM Post #1,169 of 6,859
If the KS campaign doesn't reach the final goal (call me a pessimist but given the time left, it seems unlikely to reach it), is it possible to have the coax cable included for an extra fee? It would be nice to not pay for shipping (or import duty) twice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back