The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Apr 22, 2018 at 9:27 AM Post #1,126 of 6,859
I am a a little surprised to see people not understanding that this is NOT an android device. Hesus!!

Apr 22, 2018 at 11:58 AM Post #1,127 of 6,859
I am a a little surprised to see people not understanding that this is NOT an android device. Hesus!!

To be honest this was a selling point for me. Though I can appreciate the potential advantages of an Android based DAP I don't really need anything more than a device like the R3 offers.

Apr 22, 2018 at 1:15 PM Post #1,128 of 6,859
Well, you have to understand that Kickstarter is not a store. It is a way to support creators (like HiBy) with their upcoming product. What you get in return is freebies and discounts on the retail price. Many crowdfunding campaigns fail to meet their backers expectations, and we’re trying not to be one of them.

In order not to be one of them and to fulfill our backer needs - we’ll have to set the expectations right.

To wit:

As a matter of fact, LDAC, offline Tidal and MQA are things we cannot make announcements on yet, because we signed NDAs on them that last until if and when such things are fully certified for... whatever they're certified for (because shhhh...), we are working on Spotify but have been met with silence on their end at the moment, while aptX HD is simply not in the cards (they will be announcing the same things on Kickstarter shortly)

With that said, People who back our player should pull the final lever knowing exactly what they're in for, no more, no less. Again - I’d like to emphasis that this is not a store, but a way to support us in bringing the HiBy R3 to life. We hope that the R3 will grow to meet and exceed your expectations with time--after it comes to life.

Joe as a person that has never used kickstarter, can I ask a question? It's obvious you have some nice hardware here and you guys know software. I guess my question is why isn't the R6 on Amazon yet? I can see these 2 units (especially) R3 doing well on a major online retailer, which would only increase cash flow helping to add these things we desire? Such as LDAC, and such. Just wondering :)

Apr 22, 2018 at 1:18 PM Post #1,129 of 6,859
To wit is a little strong so leaving it out :wink:

I'm still on the fence but @Joe Bloggs just wanted to say a word of thanks for doing your best to give us as much information as possible within the constraints you have. For Spotify maybe Hiby has to be more persistent with them, since they may be busy with their upcoming revamp? Remind them you have a potentially very large user base from Hiby OS as a whole!

I think the KS campaign has been run generally quite well and while it's not over, I think there are really only 2 main things that maybe Hiby can take note for future projects (yes I want to see more cool products!):
1) Make more use of the KS FAQ section with things like wireless support, offline support and file format support so we don't see the same questions repeated on the comments and
2) Maybe plan the stretch goals more in advance - although I know 2 cases would be useful in case we do an armband mod and other reasons. That said, most people can't possibly use a leather case, clear case, white case and then buy a silicon case after :p

Hope Hiby continues making amazing products at great prices! Please keep the same low noise floor and OI of the R3 for its successors so they can drive various multi-BAs. And whatever you do, please don't be like a certain competitor who is launching new product lines that are confusing, with dated specs and no longer price competitive when they used to be pioneers and leaders in the bang-for-buck category. I shall not name names :D

Cheers!

lol your talking about Fiio. Ha ha :wink: I'm a fricken genious. That can't spell genius!

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2018 at 1:22 PM Post #1,130 of 6,859
I think the KS campaign has been run generally quite well and while it's not over, I think there are really only 2 main things that maybe Hiby can take note for future projects (yes I want to see more cool products!):
1) Make more use of the KS FAQ section with things like wireless support, offline support and file format support so we don't see the same questions repeated on the comments and

+1 for this. Hiby aren't obligated to declare on the campaign page that they don't have features that weren't on the campaign page, and the information is not hard to come by on this thread or in the KS comments, but the FAQ is a good place to clarify misconceptions/misinformation being spread by publications and backer boosterism- CYA because often the most optimistic backers become the most persistent and loudly negative critics "hell hath no fury..." and all that.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2018 at 1:59 PM Post #1,131 of 6,859
Chances these will ship on time (May 2018)?

I made a pledge but it's my first time using Kickstarter for these things.

Apr 22, 2018 at 6:08 PM Post #1,133 of 6,859
re: Spotify!

Found this article by chance that originates in Sweden & sheds some light on the Spotify issue that I wasn’t aware of pertaining to Hiby etc & if accurate is very interesting to say the very least.

Regardless of whether Hiby is able to add Spotify meaning whether Spotify is interested in making it happen won’t deter me in getting the R3 as that’s not my reason to get it but it’s still interesting what’s going on with the company over there...

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/spotify-s-problem-and-huffpost-and-censorship/36915/4

Apr 22, 2018 at 7:20 PM Post #1,135 of 6,859
Managed to grab a super early bird for $179!

Apr 22, 2018 at 7:43 PM Post #1,137 of 6,859
Does any know if r3 will work usb c to micro usb for the mojo, or is the recommendation to use a usb c to 3.5 coax based on there latest stretch goal?

Apr 22, 2018 at 10:46 PM Post #1,138 of 6,859
@Joe Bloggs is Hiby planning to allow R3 to choose line out when being used as USB DAC? Sorry for adding on to the very long list of questions ><

Managed to grab a super early bird for $179!
Same! RIP my wallet unless I win the lucky draw haha. @Mayth unless I have any urgent purchases looks like you really can look forward to a DP-S1 vs R3 comparison :L3000:

Does any know if r3 will work usb c to micro usb for the mojo, or is the recommendation to use a usb c to 3.5 coax based on there latest stretch goal?
In theory it should work - usb c out is supported. But until we get actual units to test we won't know if usb to usb, or usb to coax is 'quieter' or with less interference, as some other players have had differences between usb and coax.

Apr 23, 2018 at 12:12 AM Post #1,139 of 6,859
@Joe Bloggs is Hiby planning to allow R3 to choose line out when being used as USB DAC? Sorry for adding on to the very long list of questions ><

Same! RIP my wallet unless I win the lucky draw haha. @Mayth unless I have any urgent purchases looks like you really can look forward to a DP-S1 vs R3 comparison :L3000:

In theory it should work - usb c out is supported. But until we get actual units to test we won't know if usb to usb, or usb to coax is 'quieter' or with less interference, as some other players have had differences between usb and coax.

Thanks for the update, may can’t come quick enough to get my hands on one.

Apr 23, 2018 at 1:52 AM Post #1,140 of 6,859
Chances these will ship on time (May 2018)?

I made a pledge but it's my first time using Kickstarter for these things.

Shipping should be on schedule, but do remember Tidal offline is NOT guaranteed at this point, as per the KS campaign details! However, with USB/Bluetooth you can consider using your phone with Tidal as digital out to the R3 as the DAC. Cheers!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back